November 24, 2017, 07:53:19 AM

Author Topic: .17 HMR performance  (Read 1961 times)

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
.17 HMR performance
« on: March 20, 2005, 01:55:50 PM »
Does anyone have any experience shooting larger game with the .17? I've seen all the headless squirrel pics , but all our seasons are closed here now and I've not been able to properly evaluate it.  All the starlings and crows I've been thumping with ballistic tips have just been literally "exploding" in a ball of feathers. I've shot several canned goods and sodas (out to 200 yds) and they looked like they were shot with a much larger caliber. I can't help but wonder what a well placed shot would do to a coyote or even a deer.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: .17 HMR performance
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 08:11:11 PM »
Ellwood, the only thing I've shot larger than rabbits and squirrels are possums and one feral dog. The feral dog was big and unfortunately, needed a follow up shot, but the plastic tips did the job. I have a box of 20gr I will use next time for the two other feral dogs that are probably still there. One shot should drop them.  Heh heh heh, how do you like those water filled pop cans for targets? :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline catfishsr

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 12:01:58 AM »
try freezinf a galon jug ,then shooting it with the .17hmr or .17 mach2 .its neat  ;D or fill a coke can half full of flour then pop it at 100 yrds makes neat smoke signals ;D(i usaly duct tape the bottom of the can down)
NONE STAND AS TALL AS THE PERSON WHO BENDS OVER TO HELP A CHILD.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 10:50:55 AM »
CF, I gotta try that! We are going to the range this weekend.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline fuzztsimmers

• Peace is a gun, seat, and trees.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 09:21:03 PM »
the 17 is a hard hittin a round and if the squirrel move it'll blow a nickel sized hole in the side.
I don't have bad english you just don't listen.

What did you learn?

Offline catfishsr

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 10:03:38 PM »
john
put flour in ballons at different yards and shoot them  :D take a steel veggi can and nail/screew it to a post @75 /100 yrds.fill the bottom up with  flour stuff paper towle in top then tape it up ..hang a 2 liter coke bottle up full of water @100 yrds and pop it with a .17 hmr  ;D ;D :mrgreen:

now for those with some skill try this (AWAY FROM EVRYTHING AND EVRYONE)on a post tape a empty shot gun shell wit a live primer in it and see if you can make it go pop ??? 8) it is fun  ;D
NONE STAND AS TALL AS THE PERSON WHO BENDS OVER TO HELP A CHILD.

Offline Toxic

• vARminator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 10:26:29 PM »
Golfballs!! They are fun to shoot! The 17 will really make them jump! :mrgreen:
Life... Nothing gets out alive.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 11:02:26 AM »
My daughter and one of my sons went to the range a while back and were shooting some over ripe oranges with his .17HMR. My daughter said it was a blast blowing up the oranges.

Offline DIXIEBANJO

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 12:23:38 PM »
I shot a fox once with the 17hmr.Killed it quick.......it was a neck shot with CCI hollow points.
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Facebook Comments