October 22, 2017, 07:03:34 PM

Author Topic: WOW - Hunters pay $180,000 each to bag sacrificial rams  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
WOW - Hunters pay $180,000 each to bag sacrificial rams
« on: March 23, 2005, 07:53:22 PM »
Hunters pay $180,000 each to bag sacrificial rams
Last Updated Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:31:03 EST
CBC News

VANCOUVER - Two U.S. hunters have paid more than $180,000 each to hunt bighorn sheep in British Columbia and Alberta.      :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The Foundation for North American Wild Sheep recently auctioned off one tag for each province that allows the bearer to hunt mountain sheep three weeks before the normal hunting season begins or 30 days after the season ends.

Chris Ott of Naples, Fla., paid $150,000 US for the B.C. tag, while Todd Jaksic of Reno, Nev., paid the same amount for the Alberta tag.

Each man will be the only legal sheep hunter in the province during those periods.

The B.C. fee is the second highest that's been paid since the B.C. government began the special hunt five years ago.

"These permits are set up by the various governments to generate revenue for their conservation programs," Ray Lee, the president of the U.S.-based foundation, told CBC News.

"We auction the permits and the bulk of the money is returned to the state or province."

About 90 per cent of the funds raised in the auction would be pumped back into sheep conservation efforts in the provinces, Lee said.

The foundation has raised about $50 million for conservation efforts in its 28 years of existence, he said.

Mature rams with full-curl horns are highly coveted by trophy hunters.

The foundation also auctioned off a special elk hunt in British Columbia for $41,000 US.

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

april

Re: WOW - Hunters pay $180,000 each to bag sacrificial rams
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 01:16:32 AM »
Geez..I don't think I could get that "antsy".
Although, if the only time I had to hunt was during this "special hunt", and I had the funds....I'd try for it as well. Love a shot at a bighorn.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 05:36:14 PM »
BIG $!!!! I guess you could call that rich man's hunting, couldn't you? :shock:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 09:47:34 PM »
That or trophy hunting I guess. I believe the last guy that came up here to hunt the rams, passed up on some gooders the very first time he came up, and scored on his second trip. That amounted to quite a bit of $$$$$, but he loves the sport. When I win the lottery up here, I'm going down south to hunt possums, money's no object ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
too many bears.........not enuff bullets

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 03:01:33 AM »
I'll let you hunt prarie dogs for only $5,000 per bullet...  :twisted: :mrgreen: :D
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 03:25:49 AM »
That or trophy hunting I guess. I believe the last guy that came up here to hunt the rams, passed up on some gooders the very first time he came up, and scored on his second trip. That amounted to quite a bit of $$$$$, but he loves the sport. When I win the lottery up here, I'm going down south to hunt possums, money's no object ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Bare_trax, I will save some squirrels here for ya! I know an old Indian guide that loves to shoot squirrels and make knives. Pay no attention to the compass I carry! :wink:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 11:47:02 PM »
Prairiedogs an squirrels..................sounds like a plan. I may have to get some bigger firepower. That would probably take care of my lottery winnings( I should be so lucky). At  five grand a p/d, and who knows how much fer a squirrel, with the exchange rate these days, an the price of gas to drive down there,  I might have enuff to buy you fellas a beer after the hunts. Course you'll have to bring your own straws...................... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

april

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 02:08:03 PM »
Hey, that's just gotta be done. :mrgreen: Don't forget about the hawgs and coons neither.

In all seriousness, I'm bringing a Canadian "friend" here to try our turkeys with a bow, as well as the hawgs ...even land him a bass. Heck, might even show him how to noodle..lol.

But, I got a Q for you bare_trax. In your area...do folks eat squirrels? In "my friend's" area (mid B.C.), no one even hunts them, let alone eat them. (can, just don't).
I hear some places in the U.S. they don't eat the squirrels cause they taste bad because of their habitat and diets........you think maybe that's the reason there? Or is it just not a appealing "dish" there? He doesn't know why....thought I'd ask you and see if you did. :wink:

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 03:35:43 PM »
Up here in Alberta, we don't hunt them or eat them either. I think that very few trappers even trap them anymore. Too much work for the price they get for the skins? I don't even know. All I know is that there's enuff of the little rodents around, and it seems everytime you get set up on a ground blind, they start to advertise that somethings not right...........$%%$$^$##%&&% >:( ;D ;D ;D  Thats the excuse I use when I dont get a moose anyway, and it works for me...................... ;D ;D ;D ;D I'll check into it and get back to you on it April. Maybe we aren't even allowed to shoot them. Last spring was the first time in my life I even saw a flying squirrel up here as well.......... :mrgreen:

april

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 09:56:46 PM »
Cool..thanks Bare_trax. I'm looking at the reg book now for there, and the area I'll be in, "we" can hunt the "ground squirrels" (only on private land) with no closed season. Would kinda suck not being able to hunt them (whatever breeds ya'll have) there. That's kinda "my thing".... :'(

Facebook Comments