December 16, 2017, 04:19:40 AM

Author Topic: Bow Success?  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Bow Success?
« on: March 23, 2005, 08:05:33 PM »
What all have you been able to take with a bow and what's your longest shot? 

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Bow Success?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 12:50:24 AM »
One squirrel at 20 yds,under the chin,exit the tail. One button buck at 10 ft. or less.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 07:01:45 AM »
Deer, squirrels, rabbits, and fish.  The longest shot I MADE was a little over 30 yds on a big doe.  I shot at a buck several years ago on a quota hunt that was a little over 40 yds.  The deer was walking, I lead him a little, and hit the trigger on the release.  I saw the deer and arrow coming together and it looked like it was going to be a good hit.............that is until that dang little sapling jumped out in front of my arrow! >:(
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline john

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 10:07:09 AM »
deer,up to 25 yards. squirrel,rabbit,coon,woodchuck,fish.all ranges as much as 50 yards on woodchuck. dikdik, lizards, pigs,bear,coyote, water buffalo. pheasant and grouse. and a couple critters i never did identify.

Offline DblArrow

• Double Arrow Bow Hunting
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 11:12:45 AM »
318" Elk, free range and fair chase, in Texas(Boss Ranch), 42 yards
132" Whitetail, in Texas, free range, 9 yards
Lots of hogs over the years but at ranges from 10 yards to 35 yards in the past year.  I lost track of the body count.
Axis deer 30" - 11 yards
Blackbuck Antelope 19" - 24 yards

Offline dartonmav60

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 05:20:15 AM »
Deer,that's all i've ever hunted with the bow.I did kill a yote with it while deer hunting. :)
If a man speaks in the woods and a woman doesn't hear him,is he still wrong?

Offline Bowhunter625

Boww Success
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 12:29:55 PM »
I Don't think it is how far you can shoot the deer its the trust you have in your bow and yourself

Offline Dragon

Re: Boww Success
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 08:42:44 PM »
I Don't think it is how far you can shoot the deer its the trust you have in your bow and yourself
I agree, the first deer I killed with my bow was 10 years ago at 50 yds but I shot at least every other day for 2 months before season opened and knew I could hit at 50 yds just as good as I could at 20. Never tried a shot that far since but that's only cause the deer seem to be cooperating a little better these days and I don't practice near as much.
Other than that, I've killed from right under my stand to around 30 yds, I guess my average shot at a deer is around 20 yds.

Offline MI_Yankee

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 06:10:50 PM »
Deer out to 25 yards, hogs out to 20 yards.

Offline Eric Hazelip

• Gut Pile Guide
  • The force is strong with this one
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 03:11:56 PM »
In my years spent in the woods with a bow i have killed 47 deer , 25 of them being Bucks. I have never had to take a shot at a distance of more than 25 yards. I killed my first deer with a old hand me down re curve that my Uncle gave me when i was 8 years old . I shoe the spike buck right out hay loading door of my grand fathers barn . That was my first shot at a living target . I am 37 now and haven't missed a season in the woods yet
Uncle George always told me that if you work hard at getting to know the deer in your hunting area and can plan on the right stand locating for any particular day you should never have to shoot more Than 25 yards.
All who resist will die

Facebook Comments