November 23, 2017, 11:37:43 AM

Author Topic: Popcorn  (Read 2568 times)

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Popcorn
« on: March 27, 2005, 11:42:45 PM »
Anyone try popcorn in a bear bait? Just heard about it and wondered how good it works. Survey says.............?
too many bears.........not enuff bullets

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
Re: Popcorn
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 07:04:20 AM »
i've used popcorn for bait, but i only have to travel about a mile so it doesn't get beat up too bad.  From what i've found, it'll sure bring em in quick, but then once they get a taste of it they kind of lose interest.  Whenever i've put popcorn out, that night it gets hit hard, i'll refill the bait and it will only get hit maybe once more till i have to switch up baits.
Proud Democrat

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 07:11:47 PM »
We usually put out 4 or 5 baits and see what happens. Depending on where we go, sometimes its 5 to 6  miles on quads to get in to the spots. This was the first I've heard of popcorn. Makes sense though. Can I ask what's your magic bearman? We've had the most luck with the sweets and grain so far. Especially molases and oats. Its getting closer and closer to "the time", and I'm getting all antsy................ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thanks for the input as well crazysquirrelpoon.............. :mrgreen:

Offline JohnDoe

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 11:51:52 PM »
Peanut butter rubbed into tree bark about 3 feet up the trunk works good.
Neck shots = no running.

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 06:48:20 PM »
Bearman, great minds think alike :mrgreen: I have about 4 pallets of cookies I'm just itchin to try out, cause I heard the same thing you just mentioned. The sad part is I can't get off work until about the 11th, but then look out. Me and my partner will be out settin up baits, and hoping for the best. I also spot and stalk, but that comes later in May. As far as the video, I haven't seen it, but heard lots of good things about it. I'll pick one up when I get home. Its being a long winter waiting for the season to get here, but watch out yogi, I'm on the prowl.... ;D Far as the cookies, we probably had the same supplier, and its gonna be tough to find another one, or so I hear.Let me know if you get any early bears hitting your baits, would yah.

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 08:11:20 PM »
Bearman.............when I leave the rig this time heading home I'll give you a shout on the way through G.P. If you got time,we can go for a brewskie. Last time I ended up going to Cowtown and working in the office straight from here. I'm hoping to take all of May off, and chase bears and the ole lady (I don't know which is meaner, or which I'd rather tangle with yet). You apply for the Grizzly draw? If so, how'd you make out? I'm at a six priority now, seeing as I wasn't lucky at it this year. Maybe in a couple of more years.................

Offline luvtohunt.com

• Applied for my club membership...
    • http://www.luvtohunt.com
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 12:27:46 AM »
I washington, they have outlawed baiting, but some guys found a way around it.  Go into the thicket where the bears are and cook a batch of bacon on a miny stove and pan.  Cook it until it is really good and crisp.  The bacon smoke hangs in the air for hours on a calm day.  You can just pour the grease on the ground as well. 

Works good.  They guys have pulled a bear every year since starting this.

Kelsey
www.luvtohunt.com
High Mountain Hunting Supply

travo

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 08:56:04 PM »
i bet you could find a few good peanut butter-rubbing websites.

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 09:25:29 PM »
  :shock:  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Facebook Comments