December 14, 2017, 09:50:45 AM

Author Topic: turkeys with a recurve  (Read 1360 times)

Offline buckman

turkeys with a recurve
« on: April 10, 2005, 09:32:30 PM »
hi , I have just joined and would like any info or tips for hunting turkeys up close , I live in ontario cananda and have a custom bow made in northern ontario , it is awesome quite comparable to a black widow and a lot cheaper , anyway I would enjoy hearing from anyone who hunts turkeys or anything with a stick bow , take care and best of hunting to you all
 Buckman

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: turkeys with a recurve
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 04:36:45 PM »
Wish I could help you.  I know 1 guy who bowhunts turkeys and he uses a compound.  I do know that he uses a pop-up blind though.  Seems to really do the trick for him.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline buckman

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 06:10:31 PM »
hey big58cal , thanks for taking the time to answer , the season starts in 7 days and I will give it a whirl ,  I have a pop up but I have been practicing shooting with my arse on the ground , and can hit good out to 15 yards ,so time will tell , I will let you all know how it goes

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 11:54:01 PM »
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. :-\  Warm weather around here means a lot of catching up to do outside, and not a lot of time to be on the 'puter.  That and our turkey season opened up Friday.  Got 1 Friday and 1 Saturday, so I'm done for the spring season (2 bird limit).  That'll give me a little more time to get on here.

As far as the pop-up blind, the guy I know sits on a little stool and shoots straight through his mesh windows.  The stool raises him up a little and gives him a better shot.  As far as the mesh, he shoots expandable heads (but you probably won't be), and says that the mesh doesn't affect the arrow flight any.  I'm sure with a fixed blade head, the mesh wouldn't affect your arrow any either if you shot through it.  The mesh he uses is somewhat "self-healing".  I've looked at some of his windows after he's shot through them and you can't even really tell where the arrow went through.  As far as a stool, if you don't have a little tripod stool or something, take a milk crate (or something like that).  Anything to get you up off of the ground a little.  I've even known guys who use the collapseable lawn chairs that come in bags when they're in pop-up blinds.

Let us know how everything works out!!!!! :mrgreen:
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Squirrel Commander

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 03:56:32 PM »
How did everything go on your turkey Hunt?
One shot, make 'em drop like a rock.

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 10:10:56 PM »
the only tips i have is to STAY STILL!!!!!!!!!!!
its a bird its a plane its a....

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 09:47:37 AM »
We used to hunt turkeys with bows. But, they were not you run of the mill wild turkeys. We had a small turkey processing plant just down the street from where I am sitting now. The old plant sat at the foot of a large wooded draw. Turkeys would escape from the plant and run up the draw into the woods.  Our town is pretty strict about firearms being used in town, so we were on constant prowl with our bows for meat. When one of the neighbor kids would spot a new feathered fugitive in the woods , the hunt was on. My brother and I were  decent shots, and about the only ones around with real bows and hunting arrows. We had cheap equipment, but it was lethal. The other kids were armed with clubs and rocks and would attempt to capture or kill the bird before my brother and I would show up. It was usually to no avail, their sorry attempts to score before we arrived. While they were chasing the bird, my brother and I would quietly take up ambush stations. Those big birds are hard to kill. One huge tom turkey was running by me when I put an arrow into him. He hit the dust and sprang right back up with the arrow sticking in him. In his panic he reversed directions and headed right back to the packing house with me in silent persuit. The smart old tom went under a semi trailer and jumped onto the undercarridge of the trailer's dolly. I quietly did a sneak under the trailer and spotted the tom's butt facing me. That's where I sent the arrow, a perfect Texas shot right up the you know what. :twisted: The tom bailed off his perch but the damage was done, the fatal arrow sticking out of his lower end. We were a proud gang of hungry kids traveling back to our house with the big bird hanging over my shoulder. We were rewarded with a big turkey  dinner and something even better, our folks appreciation and thanks for the meat.  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments