November 19, 2017, 01:31:43 AM

Author Topic: What's the damage?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
What's the damage?
« on: January 16, 2004, 09:42:23 PM »
Just curious to know what kind of money you guys/gals are having to shell out for a license in your states?  I hunt in Georgia, and they're sticking us for about $200 for Primitive weapons and big game stamp.   It keeps inching up each year.  Do you think they're trying to send us Carolina boys a message??  :roll:
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
What's the damage?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 12:05:05 AM »
This has been a really hotly debated topic on another site I go to.  A lot of the people on the site live in KY and hunt in Indiana.  Because of this, they have to by a NR hunting license.  Check out the disparity in the amounts for the licenses and tags combined between the two states (KY and IN):

Kentukcy
Resident Hunting License:  $15.00
Deer Tag (good for 2 deer):  $25.00
Total for a Resident to Harvest 2 deer:  $40.00

Non-resident Hunting License:  $115.00
Deer Tag (good for 2 deer):  $25.00
Total for a Non-resident to Harvest 2 deer:  $140.00

Indiana
Resident Hunting License:  $14.25
Deer Tag (good for 1 deer):  $24.00
Total for a Resident to Harvest 2 deer:  $62.25

Non-resident Hunting License:  $60.75
Deer Tag (good for 1 deer):  $120.75
Total for a Non-resident to Harvest 2 deer:  $302.25

As you can see, Indiana is flat GOUGING the NR hunter!  And this goes basically the same for turkey as it does for deer.  The fees charged in KY are approximately the same as all of the surrounding states for NR hunters (except IN), and are pretty much the same as most states on the Eastern half of the U.S., and some mid-western states.  Also, with the amount of trophy class deer that are being taken in KY, it is becoming a hot-spot, with more NR coming in each year.

A bunch of us have been trying to get a reciprocity fees regulation put into effect.  Basically what that means is that KY will charge a NR from another state, what their home state charges a NR to come there.  Sounds fair to me!!!  Since the fees in KY are basically in-line with other states, it wouldn't be an issue.  The good thing is that it would bump the fees up for people from IN!  It's not being harsh, it's politics!  People from KY and surrounding states (including the Fish and Wildlife agencies) have been complaining to IN about the high fees, but it has fallen on deaf ears.  If people from within the state start complaining about it too, then maybe something will be done about it.

All totaled this year, I spent:

Combination Hunting/Fishing License:  $22.50
Spring Turkey Tag (2 birds):  $20.00
Deer Tag (2 deer):  $25.00
State Waterfowl Permit:  $10.00
Federal Waterfowl Permit:  $15.00
Total for 2003-2004 Season:  $92.50

After adding it all up (this is the first time that I've done it), I think I'll get the Sportsman's License this year.  It's $80.00 (resident only) and covers the combination hunting/fishing license, deer permit (2 deer), spring turkey permit (2 turkeys), fall turkey archery permit (2 turkeys), fall turkey shotgun permit (1 turkey), state waterfowl permit, and trout permit.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
What's the damage?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 08:18:14 PM »
My small game license and stamp was I think $24 today.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
What's the damage?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 10:34:44 PM »
What you guys need to do is just keep going to your annual wildlife public hearings. We did this for years in NC, and finally last year our comission decided to make a reciprocal fee schedule for Non residents. For a while NC was like Ky in that we gave non residents a real break on licenses, but no more. NC Wildlife has caught a lot of flak from other states. Oh well, waaaah :cry: . What's fair for one state is fair for another. If enough of you guys keep hammering on them, they will listen. NC listened to us, after all we do pay their salary.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
What's the damage?
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 07:13:43 AM »
We've tried that.  They say that it's too hard to do.  They don't expect the little girl at Walmart selling the license to be able to get it right.

Seem like a bunch of B.S. to me though.  All they would have to do is load a small program into the computers that print the licenses.  The "little girl at Walmart" would then just punch in the state that the person is from, and up pops what the license costs.  Sounds pretty simple to me, but I guess I don't get "the big picture" of things!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
What's the damage?
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 03:13:07 PM »
You're exactly right it is BS.  When the little girl at walmart here logs  into the license program, it prompts her to enter the state. They do ask for a drivers license when selling a license, right? When she enters the state on the license, presto, up pops the fee schedule from the DNR's data base. Isn't technology wonderful. For those people afraid of computers and the internet the DNR also provides pamplets to all license vendors. Licenses can also be purchased by credit card on line or by telephone the same way. So the next time you get the same song and dance just remind them that other states somehow manage to do it. Our Walmart employees in NC are not rocket scientists either. If our Walmarts can handle these "complex" transactions so can yours. :idea:
(\__/)
(")_(")

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
What's the damage?
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 10:52:40 AM »
ellwoodjake,you make excellent points. :)  Our state of Iowa has the electronic system, and finally ironed the bugs out. Hey, don't I see you on the knife forum,too?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
What's the damage?
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 08:54:12 PM »
never been there
(\__/)
(")_(")

Offline catfishsr

What's the damage?
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 10:10:29 PM »
GUYS I HAVE A LIFE TIME HUNTING AND FISHING LICENSE THAT I PAID 705 .00 FOR 11  YRS AGO I ALSO BOUGHT 1 EA. FOR MY KIDS AT 305 .00 A GOOD DEAL FOR ME AND THEM ! IT COVERS HUNTING AND SALT AND FRESH WATER FISHING HERE IN FLORIDA. I LOVE IT .

QUIESTION DO ANY OF YOU ALLS STATES OFFER A LIFE TIME LICENSE?????????

THE COST NOW IS 1005.00 NOW
NONE STAND AS TALL AS THE PERSON WHO BENDS OVER TO HELP A CHILD.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
What's the damage?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 08:08:34 AM »
KY doesn't offer it, but IN does.  Several times, it has been requested that KY do a Lifetime License, but the KDFWR won't bite.  It takes too much revenue away from the dept. over time.  With the funding problems that most F&W agencies are facing, I don't see a lot of other states putting these into effect.

Think I'll go today and get my Sportsmans License.  Keep forgetting to do it.  Might as well before turkey season hits.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments