October 20, 2017, 08:23:48 AM

Author Topic: EUREEKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 11503 times)

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
EUREEKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: April 24, 2005, 11:40:35 AM »
All right guys, hold your applause, but mark this date on your calender. As of today, I , Ellwoodjake, have discovered the Holy Grail of rimfire shooting. At long last, the riddle of the too-long Marlin magazine has been solved. My quest first began when searching online for a lower capacity magazine. I discovered at Cabela's that the replacement mags for the Marlin 22mag and 17hrm were the same part number. Imagine that? A quick trip to my parent's house to look at Dad's 22mag confirmed this. My pool of potential donor mags quickly grew. Another search for all 22mag replacement mags revealed something else interesting. A number of replacement/aftermarket 22lr and 22mag clips were being listed for Savage,Mossberg, Iver Johnson. Apparently, at one time , they were all in bed together. Since all these offered the 5-shot clip that I wanted, I then looked to my gun cabinet to my old Mossberg 640T "chuckster." At first glance, they "looked" different, but on closer examination, the slide rails were identical.  I first noticed the slides being the same, when me and my buddy were shooting our .17s.  I said," Let me try your Savage mag." It slid on OK, but wouldn't go all the way up due to some protrusions above the rails. His reluctance to let me commence grinding on his new magazine ended my research right there. I now had a donor mag in hand, that I knew was cheap and readily available, as I had lost a few in years past. All it took was a few minutes at the kitchen table with a file and now I have a 5-shot clip for my Marlin. The Savage/Mossberg clip is tapered toward the bullet end and is a little skinnier, so it doesn't totally fill the magazine hole, but it fits tight, doesn't rattle, and functions flawlessly. Best of all, the tabs I removed aren't needed in my Mossberg either, so I can swap it back and forth at will.  So those of you who want a Marlin, but don't like the long clip; just get a Savage magazine to go with it. Until Marlin sees the light and builds a flush clip, I say " If you can't beat them, join them" 8)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 10:02:19 PM by ellwoodjake »
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline catfishsr

Re: EUREEKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 09:17:04 PM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

let me be the first to offer my congrats to ya ;D.

as i read this post i went and got out my extra .22 clip boxxes and guess what i found ? 3 mossberg .22mag 5 round clips.just like you describe  ;Di will file the tabs down a little later .i will look some more i belive i have severa ;Dl more in here.
thanks for the great info ellwoodjake :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
NONE STAND AS TALL AS THE PERSON WHO BENDS OVER TO HELP A CHILD.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 11:27:54 PM »
Nice going Ellwood.Alot of folks will be imbarrassed or downright miffed to find out the answer to this delimea was so simple and just laying right under their noses.They tell me the best place to hide things is in plain sight!Hats off to you!!
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 03:03:20 AM »
Yes, that was very cool, Ellwood! Congratulations! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline catfishsr

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 10:26:47 PM »
I TIP MY HAT TO YA ELWOOD ;DI FILED THE EARS off mine and bamm they work fine  ;D ;D :mrgreen:.i now have 3 5 round clips for that function just fine.

GREAT FIND ELWOOD :mrgreen:
NONE STAND AS TALL AS THE PERSON WHO BENDS OVER TO HELP A CHILD.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 11:53:16 AM »
Cool :mrgreen: I took mine out the other day and discovered an added benefit while I had it on a sling. Not only did the clip not dig into my back, but the skinnier clip was also a lot "quieter." The origional clip tended to rattle, but the Savage/Mossberg clip is, in effect,  "free-floated" and has nothing to rattle against. Glad you liked it CF!
(\__/)
(")_(")

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 04:59:17 PM »
great job there!!!  I am going to have to get a few of those....  thanks for the tip!!!
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 02:09:51 PM »
Another related tip. Looks like I'm not the first one to notice http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=f25939bf94ce0e5ba7838e86a6faf306&t=70933
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 02:11:49 PM by ellwoodjake »
(\__/)
(")_(")

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 10:32:50 AM »
We had another thread on there, trying to solve the problem. I haven't checked back, but our forum cure here is solid. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 10:04:47 PM »
Check it out folks. It looks like "The Fix" may be catching on. This dude here has some great pics:
http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=854ed567e8f50c53d725bc32ba35fcd6&t=106446&page=1&pp=15
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 10:06:40 PM by ellwoodjake »
(\__/)
(")_(")

Facebook Comments