December 11, 2017, 08:00:31 AM

Author Topic: Please help!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2602 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Please help!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 11:15:58 AM »
When I was 13 my 12 year old brother and I went to the store and plunked down our hard earned cash for 2  7.65 Argentine Mausers. They were great rifles and received a lot of use. What I am getting at is that we started off on pellet guns and .22s, but an average size kid can handle a decent size rifle. A .270 was aquired by me a couple of years later, and I put in a lot of time behind  M1s,  starting at the age of 14. I really like the '06 and always loved shooting them, but an '06 is maybe a bit too much for some 14 year olds.  I have shot deer with about everything, including a .243. My opinion is that the .243 is barely OK,  a tad light for deer hunting. What I would suggest for a younster is starting off with a .22 rifle or pellet gun,and learning how to shoot properly with the proper coaching and training, without exception.  A 20GA is a good starter shotgun for a youth after the younster learns how to shoot. My first shotgun was a 12GA. Some kids are immune to recoil, some kids need a softer start. My brother and I were shooting our dad's duty .38 and doing pretty good with it. He started us out on the .38 when we would reach the age of 4. That's not too young, it pertains to how the training is presented.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline CZSQ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 04:51:20 PM »
Without knowing what it is you will be hunting exacticaly I would have to agree with Big 58Cal... My first  serious gun was a 20 ga single shot  in 3 inch, it will take down almost anything.
We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference, and that a small group of determined people can change the coarse of history.

Offline john

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 03:40:04 PM »
i agree with bigcal, the 20Ga pump with an extra slug barrel. you'll be able to use it on a variety of game for year o come.

Facebook Comments