November 17, 2017, 02:02:41 PM

Author Topic: Ancient BowHunters?  (Read 4266 times)

Offline john

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Ancient BowHunters?
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 08:52:35 AM »
can we change the name on this thread? i keep thinking its a personal message for me....

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 10:50:34 AM »
LMAO John! ;D  I'm sure you're like John Andrews though, old, but not ancient! ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline DIXIEBANJO

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 11:26:52 PM »
I think I know two ancient bowhunters............. :-X ;D
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2005, 10:56:14 PM »
hey john........what happened with the ash bow??  I'd been planning on using ash for my limbs and oak for the riser.  I've got the wood curing in the basement, but am interested in why you wouldn't use ash again??  I've been looking at osage stave on ebay, but didn't want to use them if i could use native wood.(to this area)
Proud Democrat

travo

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 09:14:14 PM »
yeah, the atlatl was a cool weapon. if you want a good read on how the ancient hunters did things, and have a great story to boot, read, the series entitle People of the Earth, People of the Wind, People of the Sea, by Michael and Kathleen O'Neil Geer. read one and you will read the rest, i guarantee. start with People of the Wolf. Have Fun!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 10:41:26 AM »
Crazys, the ash was brittle and wasn't "peeled" off, like you do with the Osage orange staves. It was probably more my fault than the wood failure. Ash seems to be pretty brittle when dry, too.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline propredator

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2005, 11:33:20 PM »
 Hey fellers been away for a while,the bow would have been a great advance ment over the spear in range no doubt.every time i find a relic point i try to date it by  its shape and form,some of the spear points found in the good old usa date back to 11,000 years b.c.I aint found any around hear that old but some back to 500 t0 1000 b.c.I perfer my coumpound with traing wheels. :-\

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2005, 03:26:25 PM »
Wow - blast from the past!  Welcome back Propredator!!    8)
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2005, 03:26:58 AM »
Yeah, all kinds of relics showing up here! :wink: ;D        DB and BC, I am still working on being acient!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments