October 21, 2017, 01:31:39 PM

Author Topic: The closest shot you have ever taken.  (Read 2907 times)

Offline DblArrow

• Double Arrow Bow Hunting
The closest shot you have ever taken.
« on: May 31, 2005, 08:43:09 AM »
What is the closest you have ever come to a whitetail and taken it?

For me its 5 yards with a bow.  He was directly under my 15' treestand. 

I've taken whitetails at over 200 yards but don't recall the longest confirmed distance.  I know its over 250. 

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: The closest shot you have ever taken.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 10:58:42 AM »
I have had several deer close enough to touch with my gun barrel, but didn't shoot.  It was during squirrel season, and the temptations were there!  On duty, I have shoot a lot of crippled deer with my sidearm, usually less than 6 feet distance. You can't count them, of course. I have killed a couple of others with pistol, from the distance of 20 yards to another LONG shot, 75 yards with fixed sights. That was a funny one. A fella that was bow hunting at my workplace had a new truck and an old beater. He always drove his nice truck until the last day of season. We had a large buck that 6 out of 7 evenings was loafing in a very small parcel of ground at an intersection. Many times the buck was on the road. By "accident" the hunter just happened to hit the deer on the road with the old beater truck, as he was returning to our HQ to check out. Season had just officially ended. I received the detail to go to the location with the hunter and dispatch the crippled deer, so off we went in the dark. We easily located the deer, but he was on his feet and staying about 75 yards from us, so I finally had to take the shot. It was raining and very dark that night. I aimed my Maglight and pistol, and squeezed the trigger. The deer dropped like a stone, dead before he hit the ground.  :shock:The hardball bullet hit him right through the head. :twisted: The hunter was astounded, and he said, "Wow! What a shot"! I was pretty surprised, too! But I was playing it really cool, I just holstered my sidearm and acted like I did it every day, no big deal. :twisted: He and I loaded the big buck into his truck and returned to HQ. He was raving to all he could catch, telling them about the fantastic shot. Heh heh heh, if he only knew!  ;D ;D ;D We still see him, and he always brings up that shot that night. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 11:25:57 AM »
Not meaning to hijack a thread, but I did kill a large cinnamon bear that was almost close enough to touch with my gun barrel. He charged my hunting buddy and me when we rounded a berry bush in some thick cover near Cotton, Minn. The old boar was the local bully. I watched him make a mock charge at a group of children and their two mothers the day before.  He was only maybe 10 feet away when we rounded the bush and there he was, standing there facing us. I was carrying an old Stevens side by side 12GA, my buddy was carrying a Browning auto 12GA. The bear stood up on his hind legs and eyeballed us, and we froze. I surely didn't want to shoot him at such close quarters, and knew better than to run. Ol' DeWayne froze, too. The bear stood there for what seemed like an eternity, then dropped down, and acted like he was charging right past us. Luckily, I had swung on him and pulled a trigger just as he stepped in on me. The gun muzzle couldn't have been a foot from his neck when the blast caught him square in his neck.  I remember DeWayne shooting behind the bear as he was almost to us, the slug kicking up dirt. DeWayne was standing next to me on my left side, the bear was to my right, me being his first target.  Had he piled into me, he would have knocked both of us down. When Mr. Nasty stepped in on us he was maybe 4 or 5 feet away from me when he made his right turn on us. What registered was how quick it all happened, after the bear stopped flopping. It seemed like only a few seconds from the time he dropped onto all fours and I pulled the trigger. Actually, it was only a few seconds. A bear going from 0 to full speed is astounding!  :shock: The old cuss (not DeWayne) is now on my living room wall. :twisted:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline truk

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 03:55:30 PM »
a doe at 2 yards, she was broadside of my pop up blind, i could count the hairs on her chin :)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Offline DblArrow

• Double Arrow Bow Hunting
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 08:42:42 PM »
Not meaning to hijack a thread, ...................

That's ok.   :mrgreen: I kind if figured this topic would be a good one to get some stories out some people from close encounters.  The board seemed kinda slow.  Just trying to keep it all flowing, ya know? 

Don't get me wrong.  Shooting long distance is challenging to.  But I get a bigger rush from being so close.  :)

Offline warrior

• Been seen in these woods a time or two..
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 08:55:36 PM »
.280 Remington at ten feet. I was sitting on the side of a woods road when I heard a deer come up out of the hollow. I drew my pistol intending to use it as I knew the range was close. It turned and went just below the crest and passed left to right. I placed the pistol on the ground and grabbed the rifle as it stepped in to the road above me. I looked through the scope and verified that it's head was slick, then I heard the other one. I also heard a definite grunt. A spike was headed directly at me walking stiff legged and grunting with each step. His eyes were glassy and his lip was curled up in the classic flehman posistion. I watched him approach not wanting to shoot as he was too small. When he stepped into the road with no sign that he even knew I was there I prepared to repel boarders. One look through the scope and I knew he was to close, nothing but hair in the scope. I looked over the scope and squeezed the trigger. Poor sucker had powder burns on his chest.
"I'm in the Heart of Dixie, Dixie's in the heart of me."

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 10:37:04 PM »
My brother's first deer was point blank range with a .30-30 Win.  The muzzle was about 2 ft away from the deer.  Left powder burns on the hide. :D

My closest is kind of a toss up between a bow and gun.  The bow shot was about 12' straight down.  The gun was about 10-12' side ways with a muzzleloader. ;D :D :D :D  I had a 6-8' shot on a deer this past year, but he heard me tighten the hold on my .44 Mag and ran just a piece.  It was too late when he stopped though! ;D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 01:32:15 AM »
Button buck at about 10 feet. Caught me at half draw on my bow and just kept watching me,sniffing pawing for a mock charge and advanceing on me ,not giving me a chance to complete the draw. He came in and sniffed my pocket,literally.He decided I was no threat and turned to walk away.Bad decision! I finally figgered 65 lbs of bambi tasted better than 120 lbs of maybe.Put my sight on him and all I saw was hair. I knew I was behind the shoulder but still in the ribs for a good kill and let'er fly.He went maybe 50 yds and folded like a house of cards.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 09:26:09 AM »
 I got a doe with my muzzleloader at 20-25 feet. I had to wait for the smoke to clear to see if she was still there. You could still smell the pyrodex when we were skinning it. What made me really proud about this this one is that I slipped up and shot her in the back of the head while she was bedding. I don't think she ever got up. If she did, I couldn't see it for the smoke, but she was positioned in her exact form in the flattened weeds.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 02:09:42 PM »
When I was a kid I was rabbit hunting with my oldest brother and dad on an old abandoned farm.  I was hunting with my old Win. hex barrel pump .22 Special (WRF). While my dad watched, my brother and I were trying to get a shot at a rabbit that was toying with us. We spotted the rabbit hop into an old dirt floored chicken house, so we crept into the chicken house and didn't find the rabbit. We were really puzzled as to where the rabbit went to. We went outside and spotted the rabbit just outside the building, as he went around the corner of the building. The rascal kept going around the building and going into the chickenhouse, and disappearing. Then. we would spot him outside, the the furry rascal would repeat he vanishing act. Dad was having a grand time watching us chase the vanishing rabbit. We did this for a half a dozen times, and were getting pretty determined to get that rabbit, no matter what! The next time I entered the building, I did a quiet sneak with my rifle ready.  The only thing inside was a 6 foot long feed trough that was only about a foot high, and it was close to the side of the wall. I slipped over and slowly peered down. There was the funny bunny, next to a hole that went down and under the wall and came up outside, right next of the building.  I slowly swung the rifle over the top of the trough and aimed the rifle at the rabbit's head, with the muzzle not more than an inch from the top of his head. I thumbed back the hammer  and pulled the trigger.  I was doing all this with one hand, shooting the rifle like a pistol. BANG went the .22 Special, and the rabbit's lights went out  forever, hide and seek game OVER.  I then heard my dad and brother Charlie yell and ask me if I got the rabbit. I said Yep, game over! I was about 10 years old and was very proud of that onery rabbit. A .22 WRF is the ancestor of the .22 Mag, just a hair shorter.  Back then, the WRF shells were very expensive, :shock: :shock: about $1.60 per box, compared to 50 to 75 cents for a box of regular .22 ammo.  Then, a lot of regular jobs were paying about a buck an hour, so that made for too expensive shooting.  I was working for 25 cents an hour, so the old rifle got sold  :-\ :'(and a cheaper shooting rifle was quickly bought!   BC, that deer was dead as soon as you spotted him, :twisted: only you hadn't pulled the trigger yet. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Facebook Comments