November 24, 2017, 03:31:09 PM

Author Topic: Barrel Treatments  (Read 907 times)

Offline APRock

• Gut Pile Club Member
Barrel Treatments
« on: June 07, 2005, 04:55:21 PM »
Cryo stress relief - taking the barrel slowly down to 300 below zero then back up.  Supposed to change the metal at the molecular level to make it last longer and shoot tighter even when heated up with numerous rounds.

Moly-Fusion - supposedly makes your barrel slick as skunk snot, increasing FPS and agian, tightening groups, and adding to life of barrel.

Any body use either or both of these treatments???  Any comments??
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Barrel Treatments
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 10:33:10 AM »
APRock, no, I haven't,  but I know for a fact it works. On the cryo treatment for gun barrels, it releives all the stress in the steel, and actually equalizes the molecules. Cryo treating on high carbon steel does the same, plus converts any material that should be transformed to carbides to carbides, in laymen terms. The process actually changes the chemistry of the carbon steel. Experts claim you can take a match grade barrel and treat it, resulting in even tighter groups. All my knife blades get the cryo treatment so as to maximize the steel, so I am not blowing smoke about the improvements of cryo treatment. The moly treatment claims are supported by a lot of shooters. I haven't done any moly treatment of my guns, so I can't help you there.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments