November 20, 2017, 06:21:47 AM

Author Topic: 12 gauge  (Read 4748 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: 12 gauge
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 01:26:32 PM »
Dys, how about that! The 500th. member! Congratulations, and welcome to our Forum! I like what you fellas are expressing, and want to also agree with firekidd, especially. What we do is work our way up to a .17HMR, and hunting with one IS CHEAP HUNTING. It only takes one hit with the .17. That goes with any type of gun, it's shot placement, but the .17 is very forgiving because of the shock and damage. The fabulous accuracy is one of its greatest points, like firekidd says. I guess you have to shoot a .17 to appreciate and understand just how great a round it is. Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the .17 certainly makes a humane kill because of the shock power. They squirrels don't suffer, death is instantanteous.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline BigMac

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2005, 05:32:01 PM »
Why not fill the shell with rock salt, or pepper corn. This way the squirell wont be mutilated, and you have seasoned it at the same time.  O0

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2005, 05:50:50 PM »
Hey John A  thanks for the kind words....  I didn't know that I said all of that... (must have been in other threads... this is my first post in this thread.)
but to go along with what john ssid, I usually start with a 22, and then as the leaves drop and the squirrels get shy then I go to my .17....
Now if I do get a 28ga for the fiance then I might use that in early season...  just for a change... 
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline john

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 03:11:48 PM »
What do you guys think, is a 12g too big for squirrels and other small game? I'd like to get one but I'm not sure if I should go with a different gauge.

thanks
Mitch
ok mitch,, all this squabling and name calling aside, sounds like your wanting an all purpose gun . if your like most of us and can't afford a different gun for every animal out there,,, the 12ga is the single most  versitle gun you can get. with proper load selection you can hunt squirrel or other small game without blowing them to bits. just because you have a 3 inch mag doesn't mean you can't shoot2 1/4 shells or what ever in them.  the same gun will hunt duck, geese, turkey ,deer. or just about anything else. though i might be a bit nervous going after a bear with one,,, but bears make me nervous in general.

Offline huntsman

• Gut Pile Guide
  • One shot. One kill. No exceptions.
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2005, 01:11:02 AM »
I personally prefer a 12gauge for squirrel because when I go hunting it usually overlaps the rabbit/pheasant season,or my NEF pardner 20gauge with size 6 shot.BUT in the winter I use my .22 savage mark II with a little 4x or 3-9x scope.
One shot
One kill
No exceptions

Offline Squirrel Commander

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2005, 04:33:43 PM »
12 gauge is a good gauge for anytype of hunting , as long as you dont mind eating squirrel flavored shotgun pellets
One shot, make 'em drop like a rock.

Offline mitch

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2005, 10:31:26 PM »
I went ahead and got a single shot 12ga. Squirrels better watch out september 10th :twisted:

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2005, 02:11:11 AM »
Mitch  you won't be sorry my dad started me on an old Stevens single shot .12 a long time ago.What he didn't realize was what a twisted path he was starting me on.I fully beleive a man can not have enough guns,knives or fishing rods.If I keep on 'm going to need another gun safe soon because I already filled the 41 gun and had to get a cheap 8 gun for the overflow,and now the overflow has overflowed the 8 gun too.Enjoy but just remember there ain't no end once you start.
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Facebook Comments