October 23, 2017, 06:43:03 PM

Author Topic: I'm gettin a lot of heat about this...what's your view?  (Read 1325 times)

april

I'm gettin a lot of heat about this...what's your view?
« on: January 24, 2004, 12:45:53 PM »
Well, you haven't lived a full life til you kill yerself a bear.  And, I'm itchin to "harvest" me one.  So, I've been researching and looking, and the place for me is in Alaska.  Why Alaska?  Cause it's the only place I've found so far that still allows "spearing".  I had to ask around to get this info, just cause there is nothing anymore anywhere about it...and I got a lot of heat...on how it isn't "humane" and too "dangerous".  I argue that spearing is just a "step below" bow hunting...(and I'm all for bow-hunting), and as far as danger, heck, anyway to approach a bear is dangerous, be it gun, bow, spear, ...bowie knife.  And besides....it's a BEAR.  I think the world can live without one more.  But, ya know, everyone's entitled to their own opinions....and a lot of you may not totally agree that it is "alright to do so"...and yes, they are baited, so perhaps it's not completely "fair"...but, I'm gonna be up in a tree with a stick...so I think the odds are pretty even.  Anyway, where lies your opinions?  And, don't be worried to "tell me something I don't want to hear"...I'll respect it...just so you know, I'm pretty "hard headed" though, and hard headed minds aren't apt to change. :wink:

Offline propredator

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 04:52:24 PM »
April  :shock: I aint even killed a bear,i would be happy just to go there and do it with a rifle.I think you could do it if you have a guided spear hunt set up and you have the correct spear for the size of bear and you have come very good at chucken a spear from a tree stand.
 Practice would be the main thing,being able to throw it in the right spot and have the penatration need to hit the vitals.You would not want to go tracken down a boar grizz that had been hit badly.
 I have no doubt a spear is a deadly wepon.Will you have the skill and strenght to put it in the right spot and stick it good?Only you will know the anwser.
 I wish you luck on your quest.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 05:19:55 PM »
April, similar to propredator's post, my advice would be to go with a gun or bow first, if you've never been bear hunting, preferably a gun (my choice would be a muzzleloader! :D ).  At least this way, you would know somewhat, what you are in for.

I assume that you're like just about everyone else on here, and 99.9% of the hunters in the nation today, you started out hunting with a rifle/shotgun, and then went on to other weapons once you knew more about the animals and what you were doing.  Same thing would go with a spear.  I would go with a gun first (again, a muzzleloader! :D ), learn what all is involved in it and learn about the animal, and then try the spear.  There's a lot of places you can go here in the states and Canada for black bear, that are cheaper than Alaska.  Try that first and then go on to your "ultimate" hunting trip in Alaska.

Just my opinion :mrgreen: !!!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

april

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 12:36:42 AM »
Yep...I sortof planned on doing it with a gun or bow first.....to get the feel of the animal, like you mentioned.  Wouldn't want to go out there a greenhorn.
Yep, propredator, it's all done guided.
The thing about spearing is, the spear is pert near long enough to touch the ground....so "chunkin" is not necessary...just "stabbing", really, depending on where the bear is.  And, that's only legal in Alaska anymore.
I think I have the strength, I chop and chuck so much wood, and I chuck a lot of 50 lb bags of feed and lime and what not, not to mention, swinging an axe, bushaxe, and hoes and..shoot boys, I work....but, of course, I would work out my arms more for it....ya know, just to be on the safe side...lol.  (Just kinda saying, I ain't no "prissy girl"...I can hold my own...lol)

Makes sense what ya'll said....and yes, I started hunting on a rifle, but was shooting a bow before I picked up my first rifle (just not to hunt...that came later...lol...cept for the occasional bird and chipmunk :twisted: )But, I get what ya mean. :wink:

Thanks guys.....and more so for not giving me any "oh, the poor lil animal" heat. :wink:   Up in that tree, the squirrels will think I'm some kind of nut. :D

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004, 04:41:57 AM »
April, you are right when you get some other bear hunting in first. I have to ask, you going to hunt what kind of bear in AK? I used to live in Alaska, but never hunted bear there, but I know how a griz acts! I have hunted blacks in Minn. I don't recommend hunting griz or browns with a spear, but it is your decision. Up there on the west coast they have a blue bear, which would be a super trophy. They are a phase of the black, just like the big cinnamon on my wall. The blues are very difficult to hunt, but plenty of trees in that rain forest to hunt from. If I could afford it, I would go for a blue.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

april

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2004, 11:56:49 AM »
I have seriously considered a phase of the black....but was told by a man that lives near the KNW refuge, that there are no color phases in that area. (A grizz?  :shock:  I'm not completely gone :wink: ....lol)  And, it would be somewhere round there.  Perhaps even Soldotna. I don't know...definately black...where, I have no clue yet since I haven't even talked to guides yet.  

You ever have those "5 year plan" things?  Lol...well, this is on mine...it could be a year from now, it may be two, it may take the whole 5...but, it's something I am going to do for myself.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2004, 06:10:10 PM »
April, Cool! Yeah, I have made many 5 year plans. Sometimes they work out! One thing about griz, most folks that live around them don't hunt them or mess with them in ANY way. I always avoided them as much as possible. Check out those blue bear! Maybe you can surf and find something on them and do a 2 slam hunt.  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments