November 22, 2017, 10:47:49 PM

Author Topic: primitive bowstrings  (Read 1258 times)

travo

primitive bowstrings
« on: January 27, 2005, 09:18:34 PM »
does anyone know what the indians used to make their bowstrings? and how did they straighten their arrows?im kinda thinkin about makin my own bow too.

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: primitive bowstrings
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 11:36:16 PM »
AS I recall from a lot of reading,and History channel shows about lost artforms,the bowstrings were sometimes made from the sinews(tough tendon parts)from game.I think they boiled them first, then beat them with a stick against a log to separate the fibers.Then braided them into a thin cord.When wet these become very sticky,and were sometimes applied to the back of the bows,kinda like fiberglass, to stiffen them .

Arrows were made straight with a sort of half round plane made from bone or stone.Some actually had a hole drilled thru them,to allow for a more uniform sizing.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline DIXIEBANJO

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 12:54:02 PM »
Im no expert......but I think I remeber them straightening arrows with steam.Bowstrings were made with sinew,intestine,and even some roots were used.
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 10:35:30 PM »
Travo, you seem to really like the old ways of doing things and such.  Someone on here suggested a magazine a long time ago covering stuff like you're interested in.  The magazine is Wilderness Way.  It's got some really neat artricles in it.  They cover everything you would ever want to know about making bows, strings, cords, fires, shelters, pots, spears, snares, traps, log cabins, etc, etc, etc.  Here's a link to their home page:  http://wwmag.net/core.htm
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline shadow

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 01:31:23 PM »
Mosparky hit it right on the head. That's exactly how they made them. Like I said I'm an archeaology nut. Hunt for arrowheads in the spring and summer and read about it during the winter. Actually hunting deer is what turned me on to American Indian Archeaology. Found my first arrowhead looking on the ground during deer season.
Happiness is: A warm gun

Facebook Comments