October 19, 2017, 10:46:13 AM

Author Topic: Should Crossbows Be Legal During Archery Season?  (Read 6605 times)

Offline Jeepkeedy

Should Crossbows Be Legal During Archery Season?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2003, 09:43:33 PM »
In Alabama, where I hunt, the archery only season opens 15 oct and runs till 22 Nov.  The limit is 2 deer a day (one antlered) All weapons from 22 Nov to 1 Feb.  Again 2 deer per day.  I have no problem sharing the woods during archery season with x-bow hunters.  The population here can certainly stand it.  The few crossbows I've shot have a terrible trajectory and range estimation becomes more critical.  I honestly believe a modern compound bow is a much more lethal weapon.  That being said, I would love for my father (66 years old with shoulder injury) to be able to hunt with me during archery season.  BTW crossbows are illegal in AL (no exceptions).

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2003, 10:03:56 PM »
Jeepkeedy -   At the very least, I think states should make it legal for people in your dad's position.  How close are you to the Georgia line?  They're legal during all of bow season - could be a possibility.
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2003, 07:23:02 AM »
Jeepkeedy, your dad's situation is one of the things I'm talking about.  Hunting should be for all ages and all people.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Cracker11

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2003, 08:29:25 AM »
:twisted: I agree,but like Gun`s and Bow`s,they should have thier own season,so it doesn`t conflict with other`s. Black-powder gun`s are still gun`s,but they have thier own season.
    I feel it`s just too easy to walk through the wood`s with the Cross-Bow loaded and ready to shoot,if you fall,or brush up against a tree,and it goes off ,could be a problem in crowded area :shock:
   I realy feel for those who have injury`s that keep them from getting in on Bow-Season,and I think each State should do thier part in makeing it possable for those with Handicap`s to get out there and be able to enjoy it like I do.  There is no reason why we can`t have a Handicapted Season to start off the Hunting Season,that way they get a better shot at seeing some Critter`s before us Bow-Hunter`s get in there,plus I think they can do a better job of makeing the Road`s more accessable to those in Wheelchair`s.

I just don`t think they should lump together Bow`s and Cross-Bow`s just because of the string,they are two differant  Weapon`s,and should be treated as such..............just my 2 cent`s. :twisted:
Not Just Another Cracker !

Offline C.N.

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2003, 11:36:58 AM »
Ok first of all I'm one of those handicaped hunters. I have a disease that makes my joints fuse together. Making it imposible to pull a bow. Not all handicaped people are in wheelchairs. I dont own a x-bow YET. But plan to get one by next season.
 Second . Here in Tenn. they are making it leagal to hunt with a x-bow after bow season to anyone. I dont know if thats right or not but I think anytime you can get someone RESPONSABLE in the woods to hunt its a good thing.
 I dont blame you for your opinion though. Thats your right . Thats my 2 cents worth.
"Stop telling God how big your storm is.
Instead, tell the storm how big your God is!"

Offline john

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2004, 04:54:49 PM »
i haven't seen the numbers for energy delivered,,,but a cross bow bolt is a fraction of the weight of an arrow. i worry about wounded animals.deflected shots,and lack of penitration threw  bone. i say go for it for the guys with bum elbows though.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2004, 05:27:57 PM »
Actually, crossbows shoot arrows.  The weight of a crossbow arrow is comperable to aluminum arrows shot through regular bows, not to mention, heavier than carbon arrows.  The reason that the draw weights are higher on crossbows is because of the short power stroke (the length that the string travels releasing the arrow).  A modern bow has a longer power stroke, delivering more energy to the arrow as compared to a crossbow of the same draw weight.

As far a wounding, I would be willing to bet ANYONE that there are more deer wounded with regular bows than there are wounded with crossbows (percentage wise).
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2004, 11:33:03 AM »
I have no reservations about allowing Xbows for general bow hunting. Using different firearms for deer hunting is a good example. The kill totals stays pretty much the same year after year, unless the weather is bad. You will still have your bow hunting purists and new hunters that will be able to hunt with a conventional bow. New hunters starting with Xbows will have a large rate of graduating hunters elvoving to regular bows. I think as hunters grow, they hunt for the sake of hunting and enjoy the challenges, not just how much they (we) can kill. States allowing open end hunting with crossbows will save a bit of money for the disabled hunter that has to have a doctor excuse to apply for an Xbow license. As far as disabled hunter accesses, it's pretty much not going to happen. The problem is, monies are not available in most states for additional spending for hunting area improvements. A pheasant hunting politician is going to spend the money for pheasant seeding and stocking, etc. Same way as the duck hunters and deer and turkey hunters.You get the picture. It's kind of a callouse approach to disabled hunters, but the powers to be are not much interested when it comes to helping handicapped sportsmen, unless it is a very well used public area. I patrol on a large Army owned area, and have yet to see a single improvement for a handicapped outdoorsman. Our US Army has owned the place for over 60 years, too.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline john

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2004, 09:11:38 AM »
i guess i've decided it really doesn't matter what the deer is killed with. you still have to do the hunt.your weapon of choise should be one that you feel confident of a quick humane kill.

Offline Lopalong

• Applied for my club membership...
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2004, 11:38:40 AM »
Crossbows were made legal in Ga a couple of years ago.  Prior to the passing of the new law, a person who had disabilities hindering them from using a bow, could get a slip from a doctor and be permitted to use a crossbow during archery season.  I haven't heard of any horror stories or read anything showing any ill effects of this legislation being passed.  I personally quit bow hunting several years ago.  Something about fighting mosquitos and trying to remain motionless in 90 degree weather that no longer appeals to me.  :roll: My hat goes off to those who will endure the elements.   :D
Sometimes I wake up grumpy, sometimes I let her sleep in.

Facebook Comments