November 18, 2017, 01:14:10 AM

Author Topic: Should Crossbows Be Legal During Archery Season?  (Read 6621 times)

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Should Crossbows Be Legal During Archery Season?
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2004, 06:35:54 PM »
Folks I just came back from a trip where I got my first deer with a xBow. My buddy who hunts with me and practices with me, took his compound. When we are shooting at targets, We get about equal groups at varying distances. I have to believe the ballistics of both to be about the same. The main advantage is that you don't have to stand and draw, which can give you away. I got a good double-lung-pass through and the results were impressive. I got to watch this deer fall. If this deer had been hit with a compound bow with the same broadhead, the results would have been the same. My buddy judged one to be 30 yards, when in fact it was only 20, and shot just a hair over his back. If he had made the same call with my xBow, again, his results would have been the same.
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Squirrelhunter91

Re: Should Crossbows Be Legal During Archery Season?
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2005, 09:21:46 PM »
Check this out.... NY is going to have crossbows...

http://www.ussportsmen.org/Billtrack/detail.cfm?id=4538

Offline Mallard Drake

• Gut Pile Guide
  • callin with the best.....
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2005, 10:46:44 PM »
yes they should be legal thats all i have to say........ wait a minute
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2005, 12:26:23 AM »
Here in Missouri (or is that Misery),X-bows are legal for anyone during the rifle season and with special permit for those with disabilities with a doctors verification from your personal doctor.BC makes a very valid point,many of our youth simply cannot pull a hunting weight bow and some of the elderly may be in a similar position. I know that Tennessee has a 45# min draw on hunting bows and I beleave that to be a reasonable weight limit.However my #2 daughter is 15 and very petite.At 5 foot nothin and 95 pounds soaking wet with rocks in her pockets.(she has to run around in the shower to get wet)There is no way in he** she's gonna pull a bow at nearly half her body weight.Yeah when you put it in percentages it kinda levels the playing field.Most of my buddies are 230 to 260 pound behemoths and one flexes my 60# bow(all I can pull) crossways at arms length like a rubberband but I'd be willing to bet he'd have a heck of a time with one at 130 pounds.That's the situation my daughter is in.She is dieing to go hunting with me,but her participatation is very limited because of her size.She can hardly steady a shotgun in the 410 catagory and I doubt she could handle the recoil of a 20 ga which is the min. for slug hunting in Missouri even if she could aim it.I would love to teach her to bowhunt,when the woods are'nt as crowded and the deer aren't as spooky,not to mention the nicer weather in the early part of our season,so as to make her time afield comfortable and enjoyable, at least until she's fully hooked.

I'm quite fond of the Barnett Commando X-bow,it is a break action self cocking design that I think she could proably operate without too much trouble.Seem a little odd to shoot like any X-bow the recoil is forward not back to your shoulder.If only the state would allow it for youth and senior hunters.I don't have a problem if the state wants to treat them largely as firearms because of the trigger mech. and the constant full draw,cocked and locked operation but there should be more exceptions to the rule.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2005, 07:16:59 AM »
Mosparky, your situation is exactly why I would like to see them legalized during the regular archery season throughout the US.  Too many people that want to get out there just can't for one reason or another.  This would be one way to increase funding for the F&W depts. because of the increase in license sales, would increase the harvest in areas that need it (most states are screaming "Shoot More Does", more hunters in the woods = more deer taken), and would increase participation.  Any time you can get more kids involved, that's a good thing!  If you can get the older people out there also, then I fail to see how that could be wrong!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2005, 07:24:55 AM »
k.......just to expand on this question a little bit........how about muzzleloader hunting.  Do you think that the new style muzzleloaders should be allowed.......i'm talking about the disc shooters, and the one piece bullets........do you think it takes away from the traditional muzzleloader season, when people use modern muzzleloaders?  these things are awesome, but it more like shooting a 30-30 than a muzzleloader.
Proud Democrat

Squirrelhunter91

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2005, 03:32:32 PM »
As far a wounding, I would be willing to bet ANYONE that there are more deer wounded with regular bows than there are wounded with crossbows (percentage wise).

BC, thats only because not many states allow the use of crossbows..... If there are less crossbows in the woods, the less of a chance there is of wounding a deer with a crossbow..

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2005, 12:30:59 AM »
Surely you don't want to go there. That same logic would apply if there are fewer or no gun hunters out there there will be fewer hunting accidents?

Last thing I need is another politician with that mentality.
John Andrews is my hero !

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Squirrelhunter91

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2005, 06:44:59 AM »
Seriously, When was the last time someone was shot with a bow? Yeah, sure it happens, but the distance that you have to get to your target, is alot more different than a 100 yard shot with a rifle. Get real.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2005, 07:34:28 AM »
As far a wounding, I would be willing to bet ANYONE that there are more deer wounded with regular bows than there are wounded with crossbows (percentage wise).

BC, thats only because not many states allow the use of crossbows..... If there are less crossbows in the woods, the less of a chance there is of wounding a deer with a crossbow..
Squirrelhunter91, you need to slow down, read, and comprehend before talking or typing.  Look at what I posted.  I said PERCENTAGE.  If there are 100 people with regular bows, and they wound 10 deer, that's 10%.  If 10 people with crossbows wound 1 deer, what PERCENTAGE is that?  Again 10%.  Even though there were 9 fewer deer wounded with crossbows in my example, they're both the same percentage.  I'm betting that, based on percentages, there are fewer deer wounded with crossbows than regular bows.

CSP, as far as the inline and disc muzzleloaders being allowed during a "traditional" muzzleloading season, that's like the compound vs. recurve arguement.  If you wanted to get down to it, side hammer percussion guns have an advantage over both flintlocks and matchlocks. :)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments