November 20, 2017, 08:46:34 AM

Author Topic: Should Crossbows Be Legal During Archery Season?  (Read 6625 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Should Crossbows Be Legal During Archery Season?
« on: August 28, 2003, 06:22:28 AM »
I wanted to get you guys opinions on this.  Should crossbows be legal during the entire length of a state's regular archery season?  I know some states already allow it.  If so, how do you feel about it if you are in one of these states?

They are already allowed during this time period for disabled hunters.  I'm talking about for the general public though.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline DeathFromAbove

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 11:54:21 AM »
Although the crossbow is definitely an advantage, I don't think it would have any negative effect on traditional bow hunters' season.  If they are allowed,  I can't think of a reason not to run the full time.  How about some others?  What'cha think?

Offline Cracker11

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2003, 11:10:14 PM »
I`m all for giving the Handicaped anything they need to get out there and Hunt :D and I would have no problem giving them the first week of the Season{before all the Foot Traffic starts} to help them get thier`s.

I oppose their use during Archery Season only from Greed, easyer to use means more people in the Woods,it`s hard enough getting Archery Close to these Critter`s,with out the added Foot-Traffic,thats why Archery Season is before Open-Season!

I only see Two Advantages:

#1. Little to no Movement needed to take a Shot.

#2. The Obveous.....Locked into a Full Draw Position........Big Advantage!!!!!  Just a Stick shooting Gun to me. :twisted:
Not Just Another Cracker !

Offline DeathFromAbove

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2003, 08:52:40 PM »
Quote from: Cracker11
Just a Stick shooting Gun to me. :twisted:

This is very true Grasshoppa..... I like that.... stick shooting gun.   :D

Offline ck

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 04:27:01 PM »
This is going to get ugly.

Offline Cracker11

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 08:32:13 AM »
:twisted:  Why is that CK,are you a Cross-Bow user? I have no problem with the use of them,just during Bow Season. :twisted:

Offline ck

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 02:06:34 PM »
Cracker11

I just looked at the hoosierhunting board. They are raising holy he11 about xbows.  I don't think it should be the whole bow season, maybe a week or two.

Offline Cracker11

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 04:22:09 PM »
:twisted: Public Land`s around here is realy crowed ,and Bow-Season is the only time I can Hunt without seeing another hunter,makes my job alot easyer,and I feel if they allow Cross-Bow`s in,the number of new hunter`s would Skyrocket.  I would have no problem`s with the last week or two of Bow-Season opened up to Cross-Bow`s :twisted:

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2003, 11:31:02 PM »
My only question is why wouldn't you want the number of hunters to skyrocket?  Especially if it gets kids and old folks in the woods.  Yes, the number of hunters overall would increase, but so would participation among groups that can't shoot a regular bow (i.e. kids and old people).

Does anyone have any idea how many single parent families are out there?  Especially where the mother is raising the kids.  More males are involved in hunting than females.  If grandpaw hunts, but can't pull a regular bow anymore, he can't take little Billy (his grandson) hunting until the gun season.

I don't have a crossbow, I don't intend on getting one, and KY has a seperate crossbow season (not allowed during the regular archery season).  I hunt with a bow, muzzleloader, pistol, shotgun, and rifle.  The only reason the I would like to see the crossbow legal during the entire archery season is to increase participation, particularly among the youth.

KIDS ARE THE FUTURE OF OUR SPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We've got to get them involved if we want it to continue.

Last year, my nephew (12 years old) got to go deer hunting for the first time.  His mother and my brother are divorced.  At the time, he had been living with his mother in Maryland, with his dad living in California (both are in the Navy).  The only exposure he got to hunting was the few times that my brother got to take him squirrel hunting.  I've imposed a QDM restriction on the property I hunt, with the deer having to have a rack outside the ears before they're "legal".  The morning that my brother was going to take his boy deer hunting for the first time, I told my brother that it didn't matter what came by.  If Alex wanted to shoot it, then he was to let him shoot it.  I was about 1/2 mile away when I heard the first shot.  A little later, I heard another shot, followed by another that was a different sound.  Once I got down to the cabin, I found out that Alex had gotten a 4 pt, and had spine shot it the first time.  The second shot he tried to finish it off, but missed.  The third shot was my brother finishing it off.  I asked Alex, "What happened Alex?  You were hitting good with that rifle."  His reply was, "Uncle Mark, I was shaking too bad!"  Now the boy's hooked for life!!!!!!!!!  This is what hunting is about!  If this same scenario had happened with a crossbow and grandpaw............  You get my point.

I've got a 21 month old now.  I'll probably start taking him in the woods with me next year during squirrel season.  Start'em out young and let them have fun!!!!!

Sorry for being so long-winded, but getting the youth involved is something that I'm very passionate about.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Cracker11

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2003, 07:06:56 AM »
:twisted: I have no problem with giveing them time in the season to get out there,but I only Hunt  with a Bow,and that give`s me a very short time to get close before the Hord`s of Gun-Hunter`s  over-run the Public Land I hunt, they can even have the week before Bow Season,just for Kid`s and the Handicaped,but I want my time too...Alone!!!! :twisted:

Facebook Comments