December 15, 2017, 04:48:34 PM

Author Topic: Typical Hunter...  (Read 1243 times)

Offline DeathFromAbove

Typical Hunter...
« on: August 28, 2003, 11:48:43 AM »
I ran across this portion of an article and thought it was kinda interesting.....  Get those kids in the woods!  :!:

"Today, the average hunter is 42, male, white, and growing older. As the suburbs expand, the areas available to go hunting in are decreasing, and sportsmen have to travel farther afield to find pheasant and partridge. A new US Fish and Wildlife survey shows that the number of hunters has declined by 7 percent, to 13 million, in the past 5 years. While a few states like Alaska and Minnesota have seen slight increases, other areas are experiencing dramatic drops: Conservation officials in Georgia predict a 50 percent decline in the number of hunters by 2026.

"There are three variables to what makes a hunter: Whether their father hunted, whether they grew up in a rural area, and whether they're male," says Thomas Heberlein, a sociology professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Increasingly, he says, those factors are changing. More children are growing up in cities and more are being raised by single mothers. Fathers play a key role in passing on hunting traditions, since few people take up the sport if they didn't do it as a kid.

Brad Herrin, for one, appreciates that his dad took him shooting as soon as he could walk. The 19-year-old Hereford, Ariz., hunter regularly travels across the Southwest in search of elk, deer, and quail. But few people he knows do it. "My friends aren't opposed to hunting, but they live in a big city and their dad doesn't do it, so they don't have the opportunity," he says."

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Typical Hunter...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 08:19:41 PM »
EVERYONE NEEDS TO PAY ATTENTION TO THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

If you love hunting/fishing/trapping/shooting, you need to help do something about it.  Presently, I've got a 19 month old.  He's not much good for much now except scattering toys and pacifiers across the yard and house.  He's got several sets of camo that he wears, so he's getting accustomed to it.  He looks at my deer mounts, and says "DEER".  He looks at my bows, and says "BOW".  Every time, I tell him what a good boy he is and that he's right.  Within a few years, he's going to be going with me hunting.

This is but one thing that I'm doing to help further the sport of hunting/shooting.  I'm also a volunteer Hunter Education Instructor for KY and I used to be the State Chairman for Bowhunter Education in KY.  I also volunteer with 4-H and other youth activities.  What are YOU doing??????? :?:  :?:  :?:

The future of our sport is in the youth! :!:   You've got to get involved with it otherwise it won't be around for our kids or our kid's kids.

Volunteer as a Hunter Education and/or Bowhunter Education Instructor for your state.  Get involved with 4-H.  Rally your Sportsmans Clubs to get involved with youth activities.  It doesn't matter if you have kids or not, or if they're already grown.  I started volunteering when I was 19 years old (I'm now 33), and didn't have any kids, but I saw the importance of it.

PLEASE GET INVOLVED!!!!!  THE KIDS ARE THE FUTURE OF THE SPORT THAT WE ALL LOVE.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline RealtreesWWH

Typical Hunter...
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 10:25:02 PM »
I do hate to read that our numbers are decreasing,but I'm not surprised.My husband didn't grow up hunting like I did.But he really enjoys it now.Our two boys,ages 12 and 14 are learning to hunt and I beleive they will be life time hunters.We try to take a couple of kids that wouldn't get to go otherwise.I hope we're able to take more.I always let folks know we hunt and how much fun it is plus the added benefit of all that excellent meat.We don't buy beef so we saves lots on the grocery bill and that really impresses folks when they realize that.I would love to see more kids hunting and I do what I can to show them what a good thing it is. :)
Alabama's TREASURE Forest Program...Setting America's Standards.

Offline southern sun

• Rookie Club Member
Typical Hunter...
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 12:54:56 AM »
I am the fourth generation of traditional hunting within my family. I have 2 close cousins that are 6 and 10 years old. they both  are learning to hunt. My daughter, almost 4, is very interested in hunting. i have every intention of letting her come hunting with me next year. and my niece is 6, and she is always asking questions about this tradition. i am more than happy to teach anyone of these kids what i know about hunting and they are welcome to come with me, 1 at a time, of course.

Take a child hunting. It WILL be a great experience!!
P.S.  I QUIT!  I'M GOIN' HUNTIN'!!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Typical Hunter...
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 06:34:59 AM »
This is a great thread! I took neighborhood kids fishing and shooting before I was married, and enjoyed it as much as they did. One, named Roger, looked me up a few years ago, and I had not seen him for over 30 years! His favorite memories were of our outings and the fun we had. Roger was from a broken home and had no father figure, but felt it was his fault for his problems, and so he hung out with the local trouble makers until he was introduced to a better way of life. He is an over the road driver and has children of his own, now. Roger makes sure his children have a better life than he did, and that they enjoy the outdoors, too. I think kids have too many modern day distractions to occupy them, such as video games that they would as soon play all day. Also to blame are parents that allow it. I have one grandson that would as soon do that as be outdoors, so his parents restrict his video game time. Both his parents shoot, and my son takes him hunting and fishing. He has never had to drag his son out to the outdoors, either!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ck

Typical Hunter...
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 08:16:32 AM »
I just got the grand kids BB guns, 10 & 8 city kids. Next Christmas i't will be 22 rifels. I think the oldest is going to get into hunting, But I don't know about the youngest yet.

Facebook Comments