October 21, 2017, 06:31:58 AM

Author Topic: knife hunting  (Read 4147 times)

april

knife hunting
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2004, 01:30:24 PM »
AMEN!  8)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
knife hunting
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2004, 10:00:14 PM »
We used to raise goats, milk then, and feed the milk to baby calves.  With as rich as the goats milk is, the calves really put on weight and did well.  The hardest thing I ever had to do was to shoot a baby goat.  He was born with something wrong with him.  I bottle fed him for a few days, trying to see if he would change.  He never did.  I finally had to  take him out and shoot him.  Hardest thing I've ever had to do.

People just don't know what "real" life is like.  It's survival of the fittest.  The coyote I've got on my mantle is (or rather "was") about 25 lbs.  I watched him take down a deer that weighed about 90 lbs.  The poor deer was down and exhaused and couldn't run anymore and just layed there.  The coyote was circling the deer deciding where to jump on it at.....that is until my .58 cal muzzleloader "ruined" his day!  I ended up having to shoot the deer to put it out of it's misery.  After skinning it out, it was tore up pretty bad, with quite a few bite marks.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

april

knife hunting
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2004, 11:00:50 PM »
Sorry bout that Bigcal.

I've run across wounded animals a lot....even baby fawns that were "dying" because their mother was shot....but, ya know...I'd take em home.....if they weren't to the point where I had to put em down.  I've raised many a deer (even an 8 point buck) and rabbit and etc that way....ya know, til they were able enough to get back out there on their own.  I don't know what this has to do with anything....lol.....kinda sympathizing with ya Bigcal...I know that it's a hard thing to do, trying to save a critter, then it not make it.  It's happened once or twice with me.

Offline affordablehoghunts

• http://affordablehoghunts.com
knife hunting
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2004, 11:15:21 PM »
sorry yall i havent had time to respond till now,been huntin my butt off. 58 cal my user name is the name of my website. we guide knife hunts on hogs and contrary to what hunters might think about a knife to hunt with, it kills far more effective and far faster than a gun. we take gun hunts also, we get to see first hand how good of a shot people are ,lol. with dogs its different than sitting in a stand so its hard to get the perfect shot.
But a bullet was never made that leaves a wound channel even close to the size of a good knife. A good knife hunt also capes the boar at the same time,lol, just kidding. most hogs are down and dead within 20 seconds with the use of a proper blade in the right hand. On the other hand I have seen hunters shoot hogs 7 or 8 to kill them. I would say it is far more humane to kill with the blade but its what a man prefers. GOOD HUNTING YALL

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
knife hunting
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2004, 01:38:29 AM »
You are right about the quick kill with a knife. I used to see thousands killed every day in a hog kill plant in Monmouth,Ill. They were stunned on the head with two jolts of AC, then stuck in the jugular. They were easy to stick, and bled QUICK! We know how quick a cut bleeds,and a vital cut or stab would do the job pretty quick. You would have to really keep your wits about you on such a hunt! I know what you mean about the bang bang bang hunter. True! Same way with killing with a knife, just make sure it goes where it is supposed to. Of course,you folks are professionals and know just how to do it while watching out for a possible knucklehead that has more moxy than sense or nimbleness. You earn every cent!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

knife hunting
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2004, 06:16:52 PM »
thanks john. we have alot of fun doing this but like every other job it has its downfalls. I,ve had hunters literally push me aside in the woods instead of following me to the bay. We love hunters that are willing to learn new things,,as we are ourselves. most of the hunters that act as we speak of now,,,,are not hunters at all. GOOD HUNTING YALL

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
knife hunting
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2004, 07:04:13 PM »
I tried typing in you user name as a web page, but it didn't work.  I'm VERY interested in getting a hog.  Only problem is that I really love my muzzleloader! :D   Give me some information!!!!!

Thanks!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

knife hunting
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2004, 09:54:10 AM »
Sorry 58,

I dont know why it didnt come up.     www.affordablehoghunts.com

Well just incase it doesnt this time ill tell ya that its a hunt behind dogs,lots of action in other words,no sitting around waiting. Booking fee is 100.00 per hunter and then 1 dollar a pound on your kill. If you kill nothing you pay nothing. We have had 6 hunters leave in the past 2 years without a hog,,,,,5 came back and got their pig on the second trip. I carry an old army revolver for my gun.
                                                      GOOD HUNTING YALL

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
knife hunting
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2004, 08:57:41 PM »
Guess I can't type!

Sounds great!  What kind of lodging do you guys have there?  I live in KY, so it would be a pretty good trip for me.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
knife hunting
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2004, 12:21:07 PM »
Hey, that sounds like one heck of a deal! Where are you folks located?
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments