October 23, 2017, 06:43:13 PM

Author Topic: Calling your Deer  (Read 753 times)

Offline Whitetail870

• Applied for my club membership...
  • me after a good goose hunt
Calling your Deer
« on: July 17, 2005, 04:02:19 PM »
Last year i went on my first deer hunt it was a youth hunt doe only. I Called with a primos grunt & bleat and also used a fawn call which was recomended to me by one of the top guys at primos. I sadly did not bag a doe. Does any one use a fawn call in the early season and also can any one give me a pattern to try in the grunt and bleat? Also i was wondering how long to wait befor calling again? Also do you use a call?

Thanks,
                    kevin zurek,
keep your friends close and your guns closer!

To better understand history is to understand the gun!

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
Re: Calling your Deer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 07:32:37 PM »
how old are u im 12 and seince u can make it into the youth feild day i was wondering if u were near my age
its a bird its a plane its a....

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 10:52:39 AM »
I'm not  much of a grunter or bleater 870, although I have used them to stop a deer for a shot. I have used the Primos fawn distress with some missed results. It's very effective when there are small fawns around, only problem is most states don't have a season open yet. When I used to hunt in GA, I could reliably bring does in all summer long, and even a few up into the first couple of September weeks. Then they just  stop coming. The few times that I brought them in, in EARLY bow season, I never could get a shot off. They came fast and hard, with the ears laid back, almost like they were looking for a fight. Also, they had the exact location of the sound pinpointed, before they arrived, which made it difficult to draw. The only way I could see to get one, would be to know which direction they were coming, and to be drawn beforehand. I thought about, but never got around to trying, the buddy system. Every doe I called seemed to have 100% of their attention directed to the call and ignored everything else she came by.  Possibly another hunter could take an easy shot while her mind is on the lost fawn :-\.  I thought I could stay out of sight by calling from a treestand, but sadly, I could never bring one in from a tree-only from the ground. Imagine that?

Anyway, this has just been my personal experience.  As with anything, "Your Results May Vary"
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 10:57:17 AM by ellwoodjake »
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Whitetail870

• Applied for my club membership...
  • me after a good goose hunt
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 11:00:54 AM »
well i cant hunt youth any more im 16 now but are you hunting the youth season thish year
keep your friends close and your guns closer!

To better understand history is to understand the gun!

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 11:10:52 AM »
yea i hunt youth almost every year (on youth hunt day) last year i got a nice  point
its a bird its a plane its a....

Facebook Comments