October 23, 2017, 10:07:12 PM

Author Topic: recurve hunting  (Read 1492 times)

Offline davidg9588

recurve hunting
« on: July 23, 2005, 10:44:44 PM »
i was hunting rabbits today and i had some good shots at rabbits but i missed , this is my second time smallgame hunting and was wondering if you guys had this kind of trouble :-[

Online MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: recurve hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 12:35:11 AM »
I've missed more things than you can shake a stick at! Rabbits,squirrels,deer,mice, barns ect..Practice and patience is all it boils down to. Don't let it discourage you and beat you, it's just a stick and a string. Missing is part of the game, otherwise we'd call it shopping.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline davidg9588

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 01:00:13 AM »
thanks, i wonder how cavemen and other people did it people that lived on animals killed with a bow

Online MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 09:38:30 AM »
Judgeing from all the arrowheads found in fields ,not amounst a pile of bones or other fossilized remains, I'd say they did their share of missing too. Start close and work your way back. With enough practice , it becomes second nature. Kind of like throwing a paper wad into a trash can. No matter the distance you compensate in how you throw without thinking about it and start hitting more times than not.
BTW, I don't shoot instinctive. I started that way, but the learning curve was too slow for me. I got sights and the improvement was so sudden and drastic I never looked back. I truly admire those that have the dedication and patience for instinctive shooting and one day I'll try it again.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline john

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 08:58:17 AM »
ive hunted small game of all sorts with my bows sence 1963. the one thing i can say is you miss way more then you hit. or your just not shooting.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 09:20:54 AM »
i was hunting rabbits today and i had some good shots at rabbits but i missed , this is my second time smallgame hunting and was wondering if you guys had this kind of trouble :-[
Practice, practice, practice. That's the only way you will get those rascals. One exception, when my brother and I were kids hunting with our bows. My brother has shot all his arrows at a rabbit and never connected, so he was pretty frustrated.  All of a sudden, he grabbed his bow by the end and swung it back to throw it at the rabbit. The rabbit, spooked by the sudden motion of my brother swinging the bow back, bolted. The rabbit was about 25 yards away and running hard when the bow connected with its head, killing the rabbit. I can still see that old 45 pound cheapo solid straight fiberglass bow going whoop whoop whoop sideways, spinning high through the air and connecting with the rabbit when the bow hit the ground. I told my brother that was a great shot! O0 O0 O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline davidg9588

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 10:20:46 PM »
i wonder how cavemen thought to use feathers on arrows, my theory is that after not having sucess with the arrow they looked at nature and saw birds flying, and they put bird feathers hoping it would fly and had sucess

Offline davidg9588

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 10:26:43 PM »
i gap shoot with the recurve bow when i hunt. i have a mark on the side of the bow to mark the aiming point at 20 yards but when i get closer to a rabbit i lower the bow a little until it looks ok (kind of instinctive) and it worked today when i was practicing at my ranch but i didnt see anything

Facebook Comments