October 22, 2017, 07:02:11 PM

Author Topic: The closest shot you have ever taken.  (Read 2908 times)

Offline JohnDoe

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: The closest shot you have ever taken.
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2005, 07:26:46 PM »
3 years ago, a nice 7 point (eastern count) at about 30 feet. I was up in my tree stand on the edge of a field. It was a quiet morning, in fact so quiet I wondered where all  the critters were. I was getting sleepy at about 7:00 A.M. and I nodded out for a minute and when I looked up, there he was standing in the path that goes around the field. By the time I got my gun up on the side of the tree he was on he had moved closer to the edge of the woods where I was. I had the scope cranked down to 3X and I still could only see hair in the scope. I finally found the neck and popped him at 30 feet with a 30-06. Talk about overkill! It was a good shot though quick and painless. He fell in the path where I could back my truck up to him and then take 30 minutes trying to get him in the truck by myself.
BTW sorry I haven'y been around the gut-pile lately. This is our busy work season and I haven't had much time to get on the computer...just work-work-work.
Neck shots = no running.

Offline Hands

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2005, 04:26:37 AM »
(sorry for bumping these threads....)

shortest was maybe 25-30 yards. No real story there.

Longest was little over 400 yards. That one there was sweet.

Offline hickory50

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2005, 07:33:17 PM »
About 30 feet probably. Back when I was younger I used to like to jump shoot  deer. Get out on a damp rainy like day, and cut some sign and try to get close enough to where they was bedded, then make a little noise to get them up and running. That was my favorite way to hunt. But I'm too old and crippled up for that anymore. Always used a Winchester 94 with Lyman reciever sight, and 170 grain Sierra bullets. Thats always been my favorie gun. But I do use a Mauser .270 with a scope now, and just sit there and wait for them to come along nowdays.

Facebook Comments