October 17, 2017, 11:36:10 PM

Author Topic: deer  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Whitetail870

• Applied for my club membership...
  • me after a good goose hunt
deer
« on: July 29, 2005, 10:00:15 PM »
Does any one here hunt doe's?
keep your friends close and your guns closer!

To better understand history is to understand the gun!

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: deer
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 12:15:23 AM »
Yeah , I do. In my immediate area theres a glut of deer and the most effective way to control the numbers is to thin out the does. The state has issued very liberal limits to encourage people to hunt does. Problem is most of this population glut is inside various city limits that are largely inhabited by liberals that want to complain about deer and pass ordinances that prohibit hunting inside their city limits. They want to try other , less "lethal" methods. None of which are shown effective. I don't want to hi-jack this thread, so I'll not discuss these method here.
Deer hunting is very challenging for me at this point, so for now it's " if it's brown, it's down". If I reach a point that does are too easy, I'll adopt a Buck only or Trophy only attitude.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline APRock

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 03:04:09 PM »
Oh yes.  In fact, I target does specifically.  They taste better.  Not that I wouldn't take a trophy buck if the opportunity presented itself.  It's just that a nice fat 2 year old corn and soybean fed doe tastes so much better than some hyped up on hormones 6 or 8 pointer.

Like MOSPARKY, my state/area has a real glut of deer and some very open seasons/limits on does in an effort to reduce the herd.  In fact, they are opening up a RIFLE season in southern Iowa this fall, somehting I thought I would never see.  More Non Resident tags are available this year too.
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline truk

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 06:28:53 PM »
i specifically target mature does,they eat better! Also they are very challenging to hunt as they do not get rut "stupid" like bucks. These older does are always in survival mode and when i bring one down i am very satisfied and proud.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 06:43:27 AM »
I have hunted bucks only in Missouri and Utah. One year I bow hunted one particular buck here in Iowa, with no luck on the smart rascal. Otherwise, bucks and does in Illinois and Iowa.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Whitetail870

• Applied for my club membership...
  • me after a good goose hunt
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 10:01:57 AM »
john I live in illonois too what part are you from?
keep your friends close and your guns closer!

To better understand history is to understand the gun!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 08:53:15 PM »
Give me meat, or give me death!!!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: O0 O0 O0 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: O0 O0 O0 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: O0 O0 O0
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 08:59:58 PM by Big58cal »
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 10:41:48 AM »
john I live in illonois too what part are you from?
Whitetail, I lived in Kirkwood and lived in Gulfport, in western Ill., on US Highway 34. Gulport is right on the river,across from Burlington, IA. I worked in Monmouth, Ill., at the Wilson Hog kill plant for 8 years, back then.  Where do you live in Ill?  BC, those are some nice does! Nice pictures, too. When BC drops the hammer, the meat is on the table! O0 O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MI_Yankee

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 05:41:44 AM »
I usually take a doe for the freezer with my bow using a private property antlerless permit.  That frees up both tags on my MI combo deer license for bucks later in the season, though one legally has to have 4 points on one side.

Facebook Comments