October 21, 2017, 11:53:23 AM

Author Topic: ATV?  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Doe Belly

ATV?
« on: August 21, 2003, 10:19:45 PM »
What do you guys think about ATV's going to your stand?  I know alot of people use them to cover more ground when they're scouting, but some think they will spook the deer if you ride them into a hunt.  I've never had a problem with it.  I've hunted within about 50 yds of mine and still seen deer.  Where I hunt, at least, I think they've become accustomed to the sound.  What about you guys?

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
ATV?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 06:16:23 AM »
With the popularity of ATVs, there's no doubt that deer have become accustomed to them.  I've rode past deer that were standing 20-25 yds away.  Now if I were walking, that would be a different story.

A lot of this, depends upon the TIME that the deer are used to hearing the ATV.  If you normally ride the thing during the day, then more than likely, deer will spook if they hear one coming their way at 5:00 AM, when they aren't used to hearing it.

For me, in the mornings, I usually park mine about 1/2-3/4 mile away from where I hunt.  In the afternoon, I've ridden it to within 20 yds.  It all depends upon the time they are used to hearing it.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline DeathFromAbove

ATV?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 11:57:49 AM »
I know what you mean.  One afternoon, I was riding into my stand and saw a doe up ahead on the road (logging road).  She just jogged up the bank and then turned to watch me.  I stopped even with her (about 25 yds away) and she continued to just watch.   You've got a good point about the timing though - I could see that making a big difference.

Offline Cracker11

• Gut Pile Club Member
ATV?
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2003, 10:26:51 PM »
I think it makes them more Curious when you shut it down,they can`t keep track of you anymore.
Not Just Another Cracker !

Facebook Comments