October 17, 2017, 12:11:55 AM

Author Topic: what kind of sights?  (Read 3507 times)

Offline hickory50

what kind of sights?
« on: July 29, 2005, 01:36:01 PM »
I was just wondering what kind of sights ya'll use. How many of you use a reciever /peep sight on your rifle, and if so which brand, Lyman, Redfield, Williams? How many of you use the factory irons? and last but probably the most, how many of you use a scope of 4x or less power? Here where I live, thay ain't much use for a big power scope as it is some thick woods and ivy thickets mostly to hunt, with a good size field every now and then, although I've had them on rifles in the past. I use open sights on my '94 with a Lyman reciever sight, and a 4x on my .270. On my .22 which was my dad's, it is a Remington  model 511 Scoremaster with the original irons on it, and I wished I had a dime for every coon, squirrel, hog, groundhog, and crow that rifle ever took, if I did then I could probably buy two or three new guns. It sure is a good one.

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Re: what kind of sights?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 02:10:03 PM »
Hickory - I hunt some varied terrain.  When I deer hunt I take the 30-.06 when I am hunting in more open areas.  If I am hunting deer in dense cover, it the Winchester 30-30 or the Ruger 44 Mag, both with open sights.  With squirrels, I either use the Ruger 22 with Scope or a Mossberg 12 with the factory bead; choice again depends on location.  Here are some of my guns and their current sights:

Browning Stainless Stalker 30-.06 = Leopold 4 x 12
Winchester Wrangler 30-30 = Factory Iron Sights
Ruger Stainless 22 LR = Simmons 3 x 9
Various Shotguns = Factory Beads
Glock 19 9mm = Mepro Night Sights (Fixed)
Ruger Super Black Hawk 44 Mag = Factory Iron Sights
Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle = Some Cheap Scope
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 03:09:23 PM »
I have a 6X-24X 40mm on my .17HMR and a 3X-9X 40mm on my mothballed .22 .
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline john

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 11:55:34 AM »
ok up till 4 years ago i only used the factory irons,,, then the smog seemed to get real bad causing the air to look fuzzy,so i put a scope on my .22

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 10:22:34 AM »
ok up till 4 years ago i only used the factory irons,,, then the smog seemed to get real bad causing the air to look fuzzy,so i put a scope on my .22
;D ;D ;D ;DThat was good! Yeah, and as we get older, that smog clouds up our glasses, too. :wink: ;D ;D ;D
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 04:14:46 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;DThat was good! Yeah, and as we get older, that smog clouds up our glasses, too. :wink: ;D ;D ;D

O0  you beat me to that one john A.. i was gonna say something like yeah, mine got foggy couple years ago but the air is clear...
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline huntsman

• Gut Pile Guide
  • One shot. One kill. No exceptions.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 09:56:33 PM »
ALL my firearms but one have the factory iron sights.My 30-06 has a 3-9X40mm scope on it.
One shot
One kill
No exceptions

Offline WVdeerHNTR

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 03:52:33 PM »
heres a list

Ruger 10/22 -  3-9x42 ill mil dot
SKS- Iron sites
Mosin Nagant- Iron Sights
Winchester 30-30 - 3-9X40
NEF 30-06   getting new scope soon
Mossberg 500A  Truglo site system

soon to have a Savage 111 in 30-06 with a 4-12X40.......

and all my pistols have irons........
If its brown its down

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 08:29:26 AM »
I can still remember when all factory guns included iron sights. Now, as you all know, many guns don't include them because of scopes being the choice of so many shooters. It has to be a real plus for the makers, is the only advantage I can see. It's more of a cheap escape for the makers, my 2 cents worth. My rifles have scopes, one has a 3-9 40mm, and the .17 has a 6-24X 40mm.  I used to have hunting rifles that had  rear peep sights, actually pretty good sights for hunting.  One was a M1 Gaurand, and a couple of 03-A3 Springfields. The factory military sights were quite good for hunting. I also owned an Argentine 7.65 Mauser that tended to shoot high because the military sights were designed for harrassing fire out to 300 meters. This translated into shooting high for most hunting, so I ended up shortening the barrel and scoping the rifle when I had it customized.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 08:44:46 AM by John Andrews »

Offline Dragon

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 08:01:57 PM »
Main Bow - peep with sightmaster
Back-up bow - peep with home made 3 pin scope
.50 cal Knight muzzleloader - old Tasco 3-9X32, crosshairs turn orange in low light
.30-06 Remingtom - 4-12X40 Bushnell
.22 Marlin - Tasco 8 Point 3-9X32
Everything else has iron sights

Facebook Comments