December 12, 2018, 11:38:00 AM

Author Topic: Treestand blues....  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: Treestand blues....
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2005, 10:11:32 AM »
Two guys I work with have fallen from tree stands. There were no bones broken, luckily. The one that still bow hunts now has a full body harness for his stand hunting.

but from what you have said of some of the guys you work with john, to be hurt falling from the tree stands they gotta be off the ground?!? ha i could see them now, sitting in tree stands just high enough to swing thier feet....
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline Dragon

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2005, 09:09:09 PM »
Four of us were bowhunting in southern Illinois in 2001 and we bought those cheap walkie talkies to keep in touch. It was opening day and we'd been looking for a deer I shot that morning, she turned just as I released and it hit her in the neck. It was raining and we lost the blood trail so we were at the truck trying to decide what our next move was when we heard a guy holler at his buddy on the walkie talkie saying to come help him. His friend said (in a real quiet whisper) that he had some deer coming in on him. After a few seconds the first guy came back and said he needed to hurry. It sounded like the other guy was annoyed when he whispered that he'd be there in a few minutes and that's when the first one said "GET THE $#*% OVER HERE, I'M HANGING FROM MY $#*%@^% FEET!" The radio was totally silent after that so we never found out what happened or if the guy was OK.
Anyway, I always use a safety belt (especially after hearing that radio conversation)and put it on as soon as I get in my chain-in or to the height I'm gonna hunt if I'm using my climber.

Offline rock

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2005, 01:52:49 AM »
I've hunted from trees all my life , I've fallen once which was 21 feet up shattered both wrist and broke my clavical bone, it was unfortunate I just took off my harness to come down when the accident happened. Now I own a tree stand that I'm harnessed once I get in. Usaully when tree hunting I'm up there all day which can create all kinds of different conditions so safety should be the top of your list. O0

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2005, 09:18:22 PM »
i have never fallen but one i was climbing and my tree stand slid out from underneath of me and i hugged that tree and shimmied all the way down to the bottom.  thaught i was gana pee myself.  and the thing that realy mad me mad was that after all that didnt see a single deer not even a squirll the whole day >:(
its a bird its a plane its a....

Offline CZSQ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2005, 09:37:58 PM »
Back when I was a young monkey ( pre-manufactured stands ) I walked up a tree fall and sat for the evening hunt. Saw a few but no shots... I told the partner to pick me up on the way out. When he showed  i stood up to climb down and the whole tree fell. All I could do was throw the bow and jump... thank God it was swamp and the ground was real soft. I landed on my backside without a hitch... I was real lucky and my buddy got a real good laugh
We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference, and that a small group of determined people can change the coarse of history.

Offline squadoosh

• Gut Pile Guide
  • its time to check out
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2005, 09:41:35 PM »
i know how ya feel i dont think my dad could stop laughing at me for like the rest of the day :-\
its a bird its a plane its a....

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 03:57:42 AM »
Never go without a fall arrest system. ending up a quadraplegic is no waty to end a hunt.

Offline Eric Hazelip

• Gut Pile Guide
  • The force is strong with this one
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2005, 12:29:15 AM »
Been hunting out of Tree stands for 30 years and havent broke anything yet,, knock on head,, i've had some of me best naps 20 feet off thed ground. Havent ever tried a safety belt , always thinking that they would get in the when you least expect them to.
All who resist will die

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2005, 09:41:06 AM »
I was working on top of a drill rig north of Bakersfield, CA, back in the middle 70's. We worked without any fall protection back then. It was my first job in the field with that company, and we were running all over the top on single planks soaked with crude. They used to hose the planks with a water hose when the planks got too cruddy. Anyhow, We were setting up an 1800 pound injection head clear on top of the rig when a roughneck next to me lost his balance and over he was going. :shock: The Driller was next to him and holding onto a rope. The Driller (he is God on the rig) snatched the falling fella and calmly hauled him back onto the plank, and we continued to align the injection head. If the Driller had not grabbed the fella, he would have certainly have been killed. I couldn't have grabbed him, he would have taken me with him. We did all this while not even missing a lick up there on the plank. Time was money on the rigs, thousands of dollars per hour. Human life was not worth much then. When I was working construction we wore safety belts most of the time while we worked up high, but didn't wear them all the time. It should have been mandatory that all of us wore them, because of all the close calls we had on that river job. A belt saved me from a long fall while ripping out old forms one frosty morning.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments