November 22, 2017, 03:08:37 PM

Author Topic: 17 hrm  (Read 1160 times)

Offline jackG

17 hrm
« on: July 30, 2005, 07:40:05 PM »
I've never hunted squirrels.  Well, okay, that's not entirely true.  I live in the pacific northwest.  Actually, in western Washington.  Growing up and living in a rural area, there were packrats and "pine" squirrel.  I don't think that is the squirrel's real name.  They are small, grey on the back and yellow or on their orange bellies.  They would get into buildings almost like rats and were considred vermin.  I actually nailed a few with a BB rifle (the mighty hunter).  They're quite small, eat mostly fir cone seeds and we never even thought of eating them ourselves.  I married an Oklahoma girl and they have big gray squirrels down there.  And a friend's mother cooked up a bunch of them after the boys went hunting.  I got a taste and they were great!  We go back and visit and I'm interested in hunting them.

All my firearms are either military type rifles, combat handguns or, 20 gauge pump shotguns.  I realize that the 20 is considered a legitimate squrrel getter but I'm more interested in a rim fire.  That means .22 or, the .17.  I've been reading up on the .17s, both the HRM and the Mach 2.  Either of which seems like a pretty good tool for this sort of hunting.  I stopped by the local Sportsman's Warehouse and they've got some beautiful, reasonably priced bolt guns in that caliber.  They don't even have iron sights on them.  They're designed for scopes.

Other than the 10/22 conversion I've recently caught wind of, is anyone making semi-aunto rifles in this caliber?   And if so has anyone out there used them?

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: 17 hrm
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 07:32:05 AM »
Jack, you have fallen into the right company! First, congratulations on finding an Oklahoma bride! Second, you gotta get a .17HMR, the ultimate squirrel rifle caliber. Several of us here are proud .17 owners and hunt squirrels and small game with them. I own a Savage 17 heavy, a .17HMR bull barreled treasure. Big58cal ownes a fine Marlin, as well as some of the other folks here owning .17s. I imagine some other owners will jump in here real soon.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline jackG

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 03:33:28 PM »
Well, here I am answering my own question.  I was specifically looking for semi-auto .17 hrm rifles.  Remington has one.  Model 597 in wood, synthetic, blue or SS.  Made for a scope.  I even found a "road test" on one.  the guy was shooting sub 1" groups at 100 yard, using variously a 4X12 and a 3X9 scope.  The unit has a 9 round mag and sells at Wally's World for about 288.   (I love the market).  I'm stoked.  I think I've got to have one.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 11:16:44 AM »
One of my pals sent me a pic and info on one of those. They look pretty good! O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments