November 24, 2017, 02:31:31 AM

Author Topic: bear baiting  (Read 5359 times)

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
bear baiting
« on: August 12, 2005, 12:02:56 PM »
k guys, bear baiting here (MN) starts up on the 16........last year i used popcorn and molasses, but didn't really have as much action as i would have liked.  Anyone have any recipes for anything that will really bring em' in?  --Also, last year was a good mast/berry crop here, so the no one's baits really got hit great.....how much of in impact does the crops have on baiting, and is here a different stategy a person should use in that situation??--thanx
Proud Democrat

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Re: bear baiting
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 03:21:41 PM »
Here's a couple of things we have tried with yogi up here. I tried cookies with pretty good success. These we got from a guy that had access, but that dried up. We've used rolled oats with molassis. Meat cuttings works pretty good, but stinks like hell. In front of our baits we saturate the ground with old cooking oil. I t works as an attractant, as well as the bears track it through the bush putting the scent out further. A freind of mine that a guide up around Slave Lake uses the base oil for licorice mixed with cherry slush concentrate for an attractant. This carries very well, and lingers pretty good to. Beaver carcasses are about the best thing going. We put them into pails to ferment for about two to three weeks. Then poke holes and hang them in trees to use as scent as well. This is basically what we use in the spring, and as for the fall, it should work but I don't really huntthem at that time. A good source of advice would be bearman. He's usually on here, and he's got some good animal,as his pics show. O0
too many bears.........not enuff bullets

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 02:58:15 PM »
Something to keep your eyes open for is a bakery/bread outlet store in your area. When a breadbag gets torn in a grocery store or it goes out of date, it all gets returned for credit to the breadstore. They usually keep these in the back and sell them for squat to be used for animal feed. I have fattened many cattle on bread, pies, twinkies, honeybuns and the like; all at a price sometimes cheaper per pound than grain. I can usually go by anytime I want and fill my truck for $20 or so, except during bear season. For some strange reason they're always sold out :roll:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 08:44:34 PM by ellwoodjake »
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 05:48:51 PM »
Got any cookie bakeries near you? I used to buy all the scrap from one. The scrap cookies I ground into cattle feed, along with some hay and corn. The scrap dough was very heavy, and I re-sold it to a fella that fed fat sows with it. The scrap crackers were free, but I had to haul all of them away, as part of the deal.  A few crackers got dumped out to my cattle.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MARLIN

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 02:45:03 PM »
I have had alot of luck using donuts, as a attractent I use Sardines, just a couple hanging from the tree near by, always find the donuts gone, cans ripped to shreds, and usually go in to rebait under the watchful eye's of these hungry bears. Next suggestion is to start baiting early ( 6 mnths), that way the bears have time to find it, and used to your sent.
The Defintion of P.E.T.A.=(People for Erotically Touching of Animals.)
Take a Youth Hunting

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning and Skinning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting41

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 04:19:04 PM »
MARLIN, how far in advance can you legally bait for bears in your area? Up here in Alberta we are only allowed to bait during the open season. Once the season is closed, you are allowed a couple of weeks to clean up your bait area, but thats it. I didn't realize there are areas that you could do this.

Offline MARLIN

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 10:28:51 AM »
Well we are not allowed to bait at if we get caught :shock:, it's not that I'm an outlaw :It's just I like the chance to watch the animal alittle bit before I shoot, just make sure it's not a sow with cubs :-[, or worse a cub it's self that in a quick decision looked big enough :'(. I also like to see these black ghost, especiailly a sow with cubs. O0
The Defintion of P.E.T.A.=(People for Erotically Touching of Animals.)
Take a Youth Hunting

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning and Skinning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting41

Offline buckman

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 05:31:34 PM »
in northern ontario we have great luck with sardines and then what ever else you can scrape up once the sardines bring them in , , in cottage country bears are at the dump steady throw a steak and a donut beside a big bear in the fall and he will always take the donut  first

Offline blackbearaddict

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 11:34:52 PM »
!!!!!HONEY BURN!!!!! :D

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 12:29:07 AM »
!!!!!HONEY BURN!!!!! :D

this works...................got some big ones in after I did it

Facebook Comments