October 24, 2017, 07:28:01 AM

Author Topic: Game Wardens  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Game Wardens
« on: September 03, 2003, 06:01:55 PM »
What are the game wardens like in your neck of the woods?  For the most part, ours are really laid back.   There is one, however, that has apparently made our club a pet project.   For the past 3 years, someone on our club has taken a major hassle over nothing.  Never any tickets written, just 20 questions.  It's even gone so far as this warden going into the woods and pulling people out of their stands just to check orange and license.    I'd hate to see what would happen if our guys weren't legal with everything.    :shock:
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Cracker11

• Gut Pile Club Member
Game Wardens
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 07:40:24 PM »
:twisted:  I`ve been Hunting this Wildlife Management Area{Public} For three year`s now,and haven`t meet one yet,but they say we have a new one,and he`s running from tree to tree checking Orange and the 20 questions also,but I think they all go through it at first.
  I would like to see more in the area I`m in,thin out the Wackado`s!!!!!! :twisted: ............some of the thing`s I`ve seen..WOW
I just think the Property and everyone on it would be at least safer. :twisted:
Not Just Another Cracker !

Offline southern sun

• Rookie Club Member
Game Wardens
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 10:35:36 PM »
game wardens are different in illinois. it depends on how rural the area as to the ferocity of their demeanor. example, less rural,  "barney fife" is available at your request. more rural areas, you get the guys/girls who are much more laid back and would just as soon sit in the local coffee shop as opposed to trekking through the woods to check orange and tags. but don,t underestimate any of them, they may just be around when you least expect them. :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :!:
P.S.  I QUIT!  I'M GOIN' HUNTIN'!!

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Game Wardens
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2003, 01:12:23 AM »
Hey Gutpiles, check on the hunter harassment laws in your state (also federal).  There's a difference between a Conservation Officer (a.k.a. Game Warden) doing their job and crossing the line in harassment.  If you guys are on private land, that may also add another "wrinkle" to things.  Most states require "probable cause" before a C.O. can enter private land.  They have to believe that a game violation is/has taken place.

I've been hunting now for about 20 years.  During this time, I've been checked twice and that's it.  Kentucky's C.O.'s are pretty good.  For the majority, they are pretty laid back, but still do their job.  But like anything and every group of people, there are some that are royal pains!  It's usually the younger ones that think that they have something to prove.  Then again, there are the dead beats that would rather go hunting themselves than to try to catch somone or to do a little PR work.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline southern sun

• Rookie Club Member
Game Wardens
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 12:25:17 AM »
Ya Big58cal,  I do agree with what you say about everything. we are on privste property of 32 acres. only two of us hunt there, so we don,t have to worry about any trouble. most co's in our area, which is rural, are pretty decent. but like everywhere, we got one that you don't want to meet anywhere. he's ruins it for other co's. but i guess you'll have that .
P.S.  I QUIT!  I'M GOIN' HUNTIN'!!

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Game Wardens
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 09:15:28 PM »
big58cal makes a good point about private land, however, when you are hunting leased property(ie timber companies) those rules do not apply. You might as well be on public lands as far as the possum cops are concerned. I for one am fed up with it. people pay too much money to lease private land , and then have to constantly keep looking over your shoulder. There's nothing like wearing rubber boots, scentlock clothing and stealthly sneaking into your hunting area in complete darkness, only to hear walkie talkies squalking around daybreak, and see wardens tromping all over your hunting grounds. I'm sure there are still people out there willing to pay the big bucks and put up with it, but I for one have called it quits
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Game Wardens
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2003, 09:40:43 PM »
Hey ellwoodjake, whether you've got the land leased or not, the same still applies.  If you're constantly being harassed by a C.O., I would first complain to their supervisor about it.  Then, I would request a number of the citations that have been issued on the property and over what time period.  My guess is that the number is too low to even bother with.  Then mention how many times you've been checked on that property.  You may also follow up that the "attention" you're receiving is bordering on harassment, and if it doesn't stop, the F&G dept. will be receiving a call/letter from your lawyer.

That should help to put a stop to it.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline propredator

Game Wardens
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2003, 10:20:34 PM »
Around here they at least wait till you come out of the woods to check you over.The ones around here will leave no stone unturned when they check you but once they are satisfied your legal they will shoot the breeze with ya about just about anything.
 During bow and muzzle loaders seasons you dont see them much but when the shotgun seasons are on for 2 weeks they are out big time.They have there plane in the air that circles you at high altitudes and they have the man on the ground waiting for you when you come out.
 They also drive around at dusk with there lights off on their  trucks,use night vision or some thing.they are pretty darn sneakey.Luck would have it we had 10 min. to spare,cut it kinda close that day. :wink:

Offline bucksnortbill

Game Wardens
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 10:25:09 PM »
Quote from: ellwoodjake
big58cal makes a good point about private land, however, when you are hunting leased property(ie timber companies) those rules do not apply. You might as well be on public lands as far as the possum cops are concerned. I for one am fed up with it. people pay too much money to lease private land , and then have to constantly keep looking over your shoulder. There's nothing like wearing rubber boots, scentlock clothing and stealthly sneaking into your hunting area in complete darkness, only to hear walkie talkies squalking around daybreak, and see wardens tromping all over your hunting grounds. I'm sure there are still people out there willing to pay the big bucks and put up with it, but I for one have called it quits

that seems prety risky to me comeing in on hunters at daybreak.
fellow could get killed like that. someone with little experience might mistake him for a deer.
keep an eye on that safety

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
Game Wardens
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2003, 09:21:14 AM »
Exactly.  You'd think they would think of that.... but..... :?

Facebook Comments