December 16, 2017, 04:22:02 AM

Author Topic: Game Wardens  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Game Wardens
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2003, 06:10:47 PM »
The dad of a very good friend of mine was killed several years ago during our deer gun season.  He was hunting on private land, with only his family and they were the only ones who had permission.  A young boy was trespassing, thought he saw a deer and shot.  The shot hit the guy in the chest, killing him instantly.  He had on an orange cap and vest.

The good side to it (if there is a good side), is that this young man has dedicated his life to Hunter Education.  He's 19 years old now, had been the Key Note speaker at several State and National functions about Hunter Education, as well as being one of the few who when to the NRA Headquarters a few years ago for something to do with Hunter Education.

The point to all of this is that accidents do happen.  The Conservation Officers are really pushing their luck by tromping around through the woods, on private land, when rifles/shotguns can be used for deer hunting.  Even if they're wearing orange, it doesn't always make a difference.

All of the C.O.'s I know will wait around at your vehicle if they want to check you.  They don't mess up your hunting or go tromping around through the woods lookin for you.  That is unless they've received a call about someone trespassing or hunting illegally.  Then, they put on the orange and go after people.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

april

Game Wardens
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 02:38:41 PM »
I have, before, been up in a stand....watchin a trail...and  heard a noise off to my left.  I get all exited and kinda turn to look over my shoulder...and it was a d@!m game warden...lol.  They love to mess up huntin here.  Had to climb down and show him what he wanted to see.
The game wardens aren't as "active" here as they once were....and the night hunting, and "car hunting", and all that has increased because of it.
(I live right by management land....)
On my clubs, though...I've never had a problem with them.  I saw one once...and he waited til we were outta the woods.
I try not to give em a hard time though...because, they have a pretty dangerous job, you know.  I know of several that were gunned down because someone didn't want to pay a fine.  If'n you can't keep it legal, you have no business out there, I say.

Ya'll have a nice day! :)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Game Wardens
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2003, 09:02:59 AM »
I beleive in Illinois a CO can not enter upon ANY private land without permission. I was outright harassed in Oregon while fishing, and finally just left the damn state. I was legal, but the two $*#$**$# so-called COs really gave me a hard time. One was in my face and the other one stood back with his hand on his weapon! We were standing on a rock overhang above the Rogue River, and I wanted to knock the one into the river, and the other one was smiling and was hopeful I would try! That was back in the early '70's. They didn't like Indians and non-residents, so they had me all to themselves out there in the middle on nowhere. If the one with his hand on his holstered weapon was about two paces closer, they both would have gone swimming! They were a pretty much the exception, except for one we had here locally. A buddy of mine, a commercial fisherman, dumped the joker into the river and motored away. Dummy just kinda fell into the river! On the installation where I work, I and my fellow officers make the collar and turn the offender over to the local CO. He then gets the "glory" and has the court duty!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Game Wardens
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2003, 09:17:21 PM »
Some laws are pretty much standard from state to state.  The one overriding factor in the trespass and search laws is Probable Cause.  If that is lacking, any law enforcement officer is S.O.L.  No If's, And's, or But's about it.

To enter another person's land that is posted "No Trespassing", a L.E.O. must have probable cause to believe that a crime is being committed.  Let's put it like this, if you are in your house, can a L.E.O. come into your house without being invited?  Get my point?  Just as a Driver's License doesn't give a police officer the right to pull you over for no reason and "invade your privacy", a hunting license doesn't give a C.O. the right to do it either.

If anyone is having a problem with a paricularly harassing Conservation Officer/Game Warden, check into the laws of your state.  Or better yet, have a lawyer check into them.  I'll bet that I'm right on this.  Like I said, most laws are the same from state to state.  I used to be in Law Enforcement, I know.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
Game Wardens
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2003, 06:58:46 PM »
I hear what you guys are saying, and I appreciate the sympathy. But; as I said earlier, when you are hunting leased land, the rules change. You are correct, 58cal, when you say that a CO must have probable cause to enter upon posted private property. The exception to this is, if they have expressed permission from the landowner. The landowner being the timber company, not us.  In our case, they must have had permission. How else would they have a key to the timber company's lock that we have to put on our gates? Further reading of our lease also revealed that we only leased the hunting rights, not logging, fishing, research, agriculture, mining, construction, grazing, etc... and the list goes on to basically include everyone they chose to give a key to. Of course all local law enforcement, forestry, USDA and fire departments have a key.  After all,  they could possibly have to respond to a call in this area and we wouldn't want them to have to walk in, would we?.  The bright side of this is, since I left timber companies, I recently aquired permission to hunt a large farm in another state, where The landowner grows soybeans, corn, and wheat. Every deer we kill tickles him to death. He has told us repeatedly "Kill as many as you want, day or night,  and don't worry about the law, This is my property."  " I ran the game warden off my farm years ago, and told him not to be back. If I need you I'll call you." Of course, we obey the law and hunt responsibility, but it sure is nice not  to have to constantly look over your shoulder. I almost forgot  how nice it was. :D
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Game Wardens
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2003, 07:20:53 PM »
Glad you found a place where you'll be left alone.  It's nice to get to go hunting and not have to worry about anyone messing with you.

As far as the leased land, you got me there.  I would still complain to the officer's supervisor if he/she continued.  I believe that all 50 states have laws against hunter harrassment.  Check the US Sportsmans Alliance web site.  They should have that information available.

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Facebook Comments