October 22, 2017, 03:20:26 PM

Author Topic: Deer trails?  (Read 981 times)

Offline Whitetail870

• Applied for my club membership...
  • me after a good goose hunt
Deer trails?
« on: August 18, 2005, 12:08:21 PM »
I hunt this public lot and last year these doe would cross the road right out side the lot to get in, anyway do deer travel the same trails year after year?
keep your friends close and your guns closer!

To better understand history is to understand the gun!

Offline truk

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: Deer trails?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 04:15:48 PM »
in my area yes they do, that said, the does and young deer mostly use the well known trails, if ya look around, you can find smaller less used trails that parralell the well used ones,these are the trails bucks use. O0
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Offline Hands

• Rookie Club Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 05:10:30 PM »
I'd have to go with a "yes" as well. And, it's pretty much as truk said...the ones that are worn down most, I find the does and younger deer are the ones who use them.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 10:57:49 AM »
Tey certainly do.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline JohnDoe

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 10:10:36 PM »
They generally do however the trails they regularly use change with the seasons. In other words the trails they use primarily in the summer may differ from the trails that they use during fall and winter.  Many people think that Whitetail deer change their patterns because of the weather.  How many times have you heard someone say " a good cold front will get these deer up and moving" or " a cold spell will trigger the rut". Actually the deer are subject to photoperiodism, or the amount of daylight time during a day. As the days become shorter, the deer change their patterns coinciding with the amount of available daylight. Hope that helps.
Neck shots = no running.

Offline MARLIN

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 08:05:09 AM »
They generally do however the trails they regularly use change with the seasons. In other words the trails they use primarily in the summer may differ from the trails that they use during fall and winter.  Many people think that Whitetail deer change their patterns because of the weather.  How many times have you heard someone say " a good cold front will get these deer up and moving" or " a cold spell will trigger the rut". Actually the deer are subject to photoperiodism, or the amount of daylight time during a day. As the days become shorter, the deer change their patterns coinciding with the amount of available daylight. Hope that helps.

I think I should add to the Sciencetist here that a Deer get up every three hours to eat, or to stretch, they also build up with gas if they don't get up every so often. Many of us can contest to this if you ever hit one with a vechile, and had to wait for the Warden to come finish them off(only cause the fool behind you called it in).
The Defintion of P.E.T.A.=(People for Erotically Touching of Animals.)
Take a Youth Hunting

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning and Skinning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting41

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 11:51:11 AM »
I jsut read an article yesterday that said that deer often have trails in the thicker cover near two different types of lots.  so say you have woods and than it goes into a grassy area, the deer will usually have there trails in the woods on average of 30 yards from the edge of the seperation of the two lots.  heres another thing, if you have a lot with corners to it (not necessarily a 90 degree but a rough corner) thats where alot of the deer will enter the lot because it offers them the quickest cover because it juts out rather than hitting one of the flat sides.  kidna creats a funnel effect if yah think about it.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline john

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 10:05:20 AM »
pretty much yes. most trails are selected because of cover, food source , water, and ease of travel.  unless somethng changes the topography, or foodand water sources. even completely different deer would discover the same basic routes.

Offline Bowhunter625

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 01:46:22 PM »
Deer trails can be a very good source of deer transportation. Trails can lead to very many sources of food for the deer to graze on, such as food plots, acorn trees, and may be even wheat fields.

Facebook Comments