November 20, 2017, 07:51:21 PM

Author Topic: bait  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Paul

bait
« on: August 25, 2005, 12:14:49 PM »
I am hunting in Ontario in the fall, Has anyone had much luck with molasses? I am using corn, oats, and pails of molasses. I can't get doughnuts but I get lots of friar grease. We are not allwed to use beaver unless we find a road kill. Any suggestions?

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
Re: bait
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 04:03:47 PM »
I have never hunted bear over bait in Canada, nor am I an expert on the matter.  However, a customer of mine goes up there every year.  He said his outfitter uses whatever they can find.  He said the guides told him it doesn't really matter what you use, as long is there is always at least something there for the bears to keep coming back to.  He also said, in the course of a week, they put out everything from old doughnuts, cakes, pies, corn, potatoes, roast beef, gravy, chicken parts, fish parts, ham & bean soup, bacon grease, scrambled eggs (Basically leftovers from the group meals) and a road killed deer.  So, he saw bear everyday, and on the second to the last day got a 500 or so pound black bear.
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 06:34:34 PM »
Welcome to GP.........Molasses works well. Have you tried  honey yet. Try and get it from an bee guy around your area. The  old crystalized stuff can be picked up fairly cheap. I cant remember what the extract that licorice is made from, but it carries scent well. As mad River said, once you get them coming, the trick is to keep them interested. Check with bearman. He's the resident bear pro in here................until next spring....lol. Seriously, he'll help you out.
too many bears.........not enuff bullets

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 08:24:40 PM »
i'm sure no expert either, but i've been having good luck with molasses this fall.  I've been mixing it with oats and all my baits have been getting hit pretty regular.  I'm not sure about where you are, but here we're not allowed to use honey as bait.......(oops).  So, you might want to check in to your local laws before you put some out.  --Also...the extrat is anise........smells exactly like licorce.   g/l
Proud Democrat

Offline ellwoodjake

• Global Moderator
  • CHASING (cotton)TAIL
    • http://www.tw200forum.com
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 09:30:50 PM »
Pretty impressive there CSP. You sound like a master-baiter. O0
(\__/)
(='.'=) Salad isn't food-it's what food eats!!
(")_(")
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 09:47:19 PM »
Pretty impressive there CSP. You sound like a master-baiter. O0

:roll:   And the crowd groans........    ;D
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Paul

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 11:31:25 PM »
Thanks guys,  have any of you tried a honey burn and if so when did you do it  before you hunted or while you were on stand? I will be usinig a bow so I am not sure if it would draw too much attention to my stand.

Offline bare_trax

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 01:13:49 AM »
;D ;D ;D ;D..........................you guys are toooo funny.............. ;D ;D ;D. Thanks crazysquirrelpoon...........I always forget the name of that extract.
too many bears.........not enuff bullets

Offline MI_Yankee

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 07:55:55 AM »
Liquid anise is a great attractant,  You can dilute it with water and put it in a spray bottle, and spray it around when you get to your stand.  Worked great for me.  Another thing I used was suet.  Go to the butcher shop and see what you can get.  They often throw away large chunks of the stuff, and the bears go crazy over it.

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 10:18:41 AM »
i can switch hands and gain a stroke........... ;D
Proud Democrat

Facebook Comments