November 20, 2017, 04:15:01 AM

Author Topic: Iowa Wild Russian Boar Hunting!  (Read 1974 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Iowa Wild Russian Boar Hunting!
« on: August 26, 2005, 10:09:35 PM »
Yep, now we Iowans have wild hogs to hunt, compliments of some that are rumored to be escapees from a pay to hunt game area. You folks know how those hogs reproduce, so it looks like we have a viable hunting population.  Another point of interest, the rascals are just a few miles from where I sit, an area where I used to raise cattle. A couple of my hunt/work pals and I are planning  float trips for the rascals during some of our 3 day weekends.  My old jon boat should be just the ticket, plenty big enough for our gun platform.  River patrol with some fishing rods, shooting irons, spotlight, and chow should round out the equipment, you reckon? No booze, I'm kinda nervous with guns, boats and booze being connected.  There is no closed season, no limit, nor any closed hours.  Iowa DNR wants them all killed as soon as possible.  Other states have had no luck in killing off their wild hog populations, and the state of Iowa fears the same fate.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 10:13:46 PM by John Andrews »
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Iowa Wild Russian Boar Hunting!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 11:33:34 PM »
I fully agree on the no-booze thing. Missouri has much the same problem. just getting started. The folks whose fields are getting torn up want to complain but won't open their land to hunting ( go figure). I don't think we even need a hunting license for them, just shoot on sight. No ear tag...No collar....kill it!!! I haven't found much on the web on how to hunt them, so I guess I need to squirrel hunt the public land in the area and carry the 44 Mag for back-up. My luck I won't be able to carry the bugger out , so I guess I should add some buthering knives to my day pack and gallon size zip-locks.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 03:38:35 PM »
Hunting boar is some fun stuff.  I got invited to one of those pay to kill places, and no it was not shooting them in a pen.  I forget how many acres of land, but from the main gate, I walked about an hour and a half and never saw the fence on the opposite side of the tract of land.  Anyhow, a buddy and I were hunting Russian Boar in the 225 to 300 pound range.  They had 50 in that weight class and 5 were 500 plus pounds.  We came to about a 50 square yard clearing, with a gentle 10 yard slope off one end, which led down to a tree line.  There were four boars walk through the vegetation at the bottom of the slope.  I could not get a clear line of sight.  A few yards down from where they were, there was a trail going into the trees, perfect shooting lane.  I watched their heads bob through the weeds, and third of the four was the tallest, my target.  As the lead two passed through the 2 to 3 foot wide opening, I started to realize how big these things really were.  The third one stepped into the clearing.  I pulled up the Winchester Trapper 30-30, loaded with 170 grain Winchester Silvertips, put the iron sights on target behind his front shoulder, and squeezed.  I hit the boar square, he rolled over, grunted, and headed straight toward me.  For some reason, he charged into a large thicket of vines that were growing up between three tall skinny maple trees, just to my right.  He laid in there out of site just grunting, sounding like an old steam locomotive getting started down the track.  The guide came over holding a large stone.  He announces he is going to lob the stone into the thicket.  I say okay, with my heart beating overtime of course. He goes on to say that the boar will charge me and I will have to kill it before it gets to me.  Again, this animal is as big as me, with 3 inch long tusks.  So, the guide says he is going to throw the stone, and run like hell to get to a tree climb, in case things go wrong.  Needless to say, I am nervous as all get out, and my heart is beating faster than before.  He lobs the stone, the vine thicket erupts with a noise that would make Satan wet his shorts, the trees start swaying, and the boar burst out of the mess heading straight for me.  I put the sights on his head, jerk the trigger, shoot him through the left ear, and directly into his spinal column.  The mass of grunting hair and teeth crashed to a halt just 6 feet in front of me.  Talk about an adrenaline rush.  The guide came over, said nice work, and got to gutting the animal.  My first shot took out both lungs, and like I said, the second severed his spine and came to rest in his rear hip.  After gutting, he weighed 225 pounds, the top of his front shoulders were about two and a half feet tall, and he was just over six feet long.  I guess what I am saying is to not under estimate how tough boars are.  (That was my favorite hunt by far.) O0
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline Korean&Proud

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 04:43:44 PM »
wow, that does sound like an awesome hunt.  even though it was kinda shooting them in a pen kinda deal. lol ;D just messing with yah.  that is one heck of a story.

K&P
Heres My Signature

Offline Ks_Sniper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 09:06:05 PM »
I don't remember where I read this but several people I've spoken with claim that some old timer use .22 mags for  hogs of all sizes. They all said that the hunter waited until the shot they wanted presented itself, going on to say that the ONLY shot they would take was a head on between the eyes shot. If a .22 Mag will do a number on these buggers, I'm sure the .17HMR hollow points would do just fine... personally, I'll stick with my .243 and go with the head shots.

John, you lucky dog. I highly doubt Iowa will get rid of the hogs without taking extreme measures. Maybe something like a bounty would do the trick, but seeing how stingy most Wildlife Agencys can be nowadays, I don't see that happening. Personally, I have to travel at least 4 hours to get within shooting range of a hog, and with gas prices hitting $2.60+ a gallon, I haven't been hunting or fishing in a LONG time... And with squirrel season in full force, I fear the price of gas will severly affect the war on bushytails.  :'(

Life was so much easier "pre-marraige." First I got married, then I went into debt. Think the 2 are connected? :roll:
When I was a child, I lived as a child. When I became a man, I put away my childish things and became a Gutpiler!

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.com ! http://www.camouflagenation.com http://www.thehuntingfiles.com  http://wildchildhuntingwear.com  http://www.isquirrelhunt.com http://www.iwhitetailhunt.com http://www.icoonhunt.com

Facebook Comments