November 21, 2017, 12:33:00 PM

Author Topic: been out twice  (Read 5162 times)

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: been out twice
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2005, 08:55:15 AM »
Went out twice in the last two weeks, wish I could get out more... Took the cz .22, first kill this year was in one eye and out just over the other. Got my 5 in about two hours, three gray and two blacks. Funny thing, I have hunted this area since around the early 70's and never saw a black till this year. Next time out I decided to go against my religion and bring along my new BPS 12 ga. I just had to shoot it and there are grouse in the area. So I slung my old 10/22 on my back and carried the 12. I was'nt 30 yds. from my truck and there go's a gray... could'nt get a good shot till he was running up this dead fall. He took a jump from the fall to the main trunk, ( about a 40 yd shot ) just as  he was about to land on the tree trunk he spooked another sq. and that was when I took my shot... It was such a long shot I did'nt know forsure if I hit him or not, but when I got over there two sq were laying no more than 3 ft apart...one gray and one black. My first doubble! Hunting sq with a 12 ga aint so bad after all...HA!
Happy Hunting

lets see a .17 or a .22 do that  O0 O0  around here blacks are scarce.. i ersonally never seen one in the wild, and my brotherin law (who has hunted for close to 40 years has only gotten 1 and mounted it...
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2005, 09:52:05 AM »
I got out Sunday morning and got my limit of 6, 5 fox and 1 gray. I saw over a dozen, but getting a shot is still difficult because of the heavy ground and leaf cover. I did get 2 that were over 100 yards :twisted:that thought they were safe, 2 that were in trees. The 17gr Federal blacktips really did their job that day. My pal, Gary, was a bit under the weather that day and missed the best day of the year that morning. Then, it was back into the shop, but with some great memories of that morning. I did stop by ol' Gary's place and rub it in on my way home. :twisted: ;D ;D O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline CZSQ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2005, 07:00:13 PM »
Went out again today for a few hours. This time I took the 10/22 & my old 20 ga. single shot. There are grouse and rabbits where I hunt so I like to take both. Again I did'nt make it very far into the woods and I see two SQ on the ground... one is a fox sq and the other a gray, they see me and run...I blast the fox with the 20 and decide to sit there for a bit. I shot 3 more in less than an hour...time to leave so I go to pick them all up and the big fox that I shot 1st isi'nt where he is suppose to be... can't find him. Hate that when it happens! So I pick up the other three, one black, one gray, & one fox and head home. While cleaning the fox I noticed that he had shot just under the skin... same size I was useing ( 7 1/2 ) its all I had for the 20 ga.............. so I ended up geting the one I thought got away.
Most of the shots I could get were at the max range for the .22, I can see where the 17 could come in handy. Next time I use the 20 ga. I will get some #4 shot.
We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference, and that a small group of determined people can change the coarse of history.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2005, 09:48:07 PM »
You did good, CZ! I had good time a week ago Sunday, but wasn't able to go this last weekend. :'( :'( :'(
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2005, 11:03:15 PM »
Took the CZ out Sat I only had about an hour before dark once I got to the edge of the woods I realized I forgot my vest and only gould scrounge up 3 shells.Had 2 boxes of .22 and a box of 17HMR but only 3 M2. It worked out though I only saw two Grays and got both of them
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline CZSQ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2005, 05:09:55 PM »
Went out this morning for a few hours and only got two. We had some real high winds last night but they died down this morning so I thought it would be ok. There were several trees that came down overnight and in the morning it was still 5-15 mph... last night we had sustained winds of up to 55 mph. Guess it spooked them pretty good cuz I only saw three and shot the two. Now some of you might think I'm nuts but today I used my .223 and yes it is a bit of overkill, but it sure extends my range. Have to make head shots though, takes them clean off... Longest shot today was just over 100 yds.
Happy hunting folks!
We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference, and that a small group of determined people can change the coarse of history.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2005, 05:30:02 PM »
I went out late this morning, for just a couple of hours. I only saw 3 shot 1. I also got a bonus, a C-A-T! I was about a mile and a half from the truck and was all camoed up. I had shot the squirrel about a half hour before, and seeing nothing else, decided to slip across a long pond dam to another timber. As I was just about to leave the edge of the timber to the open dam, I saw something strange running towards me on the dam. I sat down and sighted through the scope. I had the scope of the .17HMR set on its lowest setting, 6X. I adjusted the parellex to about 120 yards and took a quick look. It was the C-A-T, a big gray one. I settled the crosshairs just below the chin and pulled the trigger. The critter was bouncing a bit while it was running, and the bullet hit her in the chest, pretty much straight on. The big gray did a wild leap into the air when the bullet hit it. It then twisted and did another spin around in the air, and then headed down off the dam into the weeds. She was headed towards a creekbed that had a bunch of blowdown, briars, weeds, and thick brush growing up through it. I figured that if the big gray made it to the creek bed, it would be impossible to find it. Well, it ran out of steam and was dead before it reached the creek bed.  I had to hunt for it a bit in the weeds before I found it. When I got home, my lady dog, the one with the pups, tried to eat the C-A-T. What a great dog, huh? The two squirrel dogs got their squirrel scraps and the waste ended up with the cat in a trash bag. Is that a benefitting burial for a cat, or what? :twisted:

Offline CZSQ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2005, 07:52:41 PM »
Dang John, now thats alright! Been awhile since I've seen a CAT while out hunting...but the backyard has some to offer.
We have our deer hunting season this week so I won't get out for SQ till the very end of the month. We got snow the days before the gun season and I hope to keep it around for late season SQ hunting.
Went out to a friends place the other day, said he needed to rid his bird feeders of a few SQ... well he dosen't hunt so he asked if I could help him out. Being the good friend that I am  I brought the  .177 over and in no time had my limit. That little cal. sure does a job on head shots... nothing over 30 yds.
happy hunting all.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2005, 06:33:27 AM »
That's the way to do it, CZ! O0

Offline CZSQ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2005, 10:07:32 PM »
Had some snow and tryed the short tailed rats for a change... the old .410 did well.

Facebook Comments