November 24, 2017, 10:01:30 AM

Author Topic: Turkey Huntin'  (Read 994 times)

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Turkey Huntin'
« on: March 03, 2004, 08:25:17 PM »
When does your spring season come in?  Is anyone planning on going?  What's the turkey hunting like in your area?  What's your best bird so far?

Our spring season in KY comes in April 15.  I'm going to take a couple of days off work and see if I can't harrass the gobblers some!  I got 2 last year, out of a group of 5 that were using the area.  Next to deer hunting, turkey hunting is my favorite!!!!! :D   There's some good hunting in my area.  We've got way more turkeys than we do deer anymore. :(   My best bird so far was taken the year before last, and was my first one.  Weighed 20.5 lbs, 10 1/2" beard, and 1.25" spurs.  I had him mounted in full strut and he's sitting in my living room now! :D

What about the rest of you?  What's your info?
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Turkey Huntin'
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 09:17:16 PM »
WTF???!!!  Doesn't anyone turkey hunt?

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.

Offline squirrelslayer

• Gut Pile Club Member
Turkey Huntin'
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 09:23:18 PM »
hmm i hunt in missouri very very good turkey hunting but i havent got one yet but i know there are alot of big ones on my land and b/c im 14 i get to take part in the youth hunt and that would be a big advantage but im not the best caller so i rarely see them only had one get in range but no shot
i love shootin squirrel in the head

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
Turkey Huntin'
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 09:38:35 PM »
That's an area that I can't help with much, unfortunately.  I'd love to give it a try, but just haven't had the opportunity to get into the gobblers.  Seems like a good challenge that I need to make time for  8) though.
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Turkey Huntin'
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 06:32:06 AM »
Don't give up squirrelslayer.  It takes time.  Keep practicing your calling.  I started turkey hunting when I was 15 and went for 3-4 years, without getting anything.  I took it back up again a few years ago and it still took me 5 more years to get my first one!  Now in the county I hunt in, we've got more turkeys than we do deer! :(

I love deer hunting more than anything, but turkey hunting is a REALLY close 2nd. :D   There's just something about it when those birds are coming in gobbling!!!!!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Turkey Huntin'
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 11:41:23 AM »
BC, we are over populated with turkeys. And the bird type turkeys, also. Our season is about the same as yours, as well as the fall season. The birds winter well here, so the huge population is still growing. we have quite a few ares that protect the birds year around, so you can see why turkey populations are huge, and other game bird populations are shrinking. Turkeys even eat quail chicks. We see less pheasants as turkey populations rise, also. At least, this seems to be our observations while on patrol. You need to come here and kill some of these turkeys! We even hit the birds while on patrol and receive vehicle damage. Dang varmint birds! I was following a fellow officer a few years ago, when he had a large tom go through his windshield, injuring my buddy. It was on a bridge, beleive it or not. the officer's vehicle almost went down a sharp dropoff and probably would have seriously injured him if he didn't get stopped when he did. I have hit so many birds I have lost track, and some of them have hit my windshield.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments