November 20, 2017, 04:31:07 AM

Author Topic: moose  (Read 1388 times)

Offline buckman

moose
« on: October 16, 2005, 05:22:13 PM »
hey guys , just got back from moose hunting in northern ontario , and I have a question or two , we shot a bull  with a  40 inch rack that when dressed the quarters wieghed 690 lbs any formula or guesses to it's live wieght ?, also , it was shot at 50 yards with a 3006 180 grain round nose rememington core lock , the front leg was back a bit and the bullet hit the edge of the leg bone then disintagrated his heart , but failed to exit the animal , on this shot it worked out perfect however should I be concerned about the lack of penitration on our next hunt ? thanks in advance for any thoughts , if I figgure out how I will post a picture of this nice bull

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: moose
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 06:01:18 PM »
after you scan the picture look in under the additional options attach file is what ya want..  and lets see. and a '06 at 50 yards would be more than enough in my opinion..
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline MI_Yankee

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 03:34:07 PM »
Way to go!  Got one too on Saturday in New Hampshire.  He was a 48 incher with a drop tine on one side, and 20 points.  Dressed at 725# , and Fish & Game said he'd have gone around 875# live weight.  Second biggest on the buck pole before we left (one went 57").

Took him a half mile up a mountain.  No picnic getting him out.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 09:46:17 AM »
Congratulations, guys! 8) O0 O0 O0Even the word :shock: O0 O0 moose sounds big!
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline elkhunter_30-06

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 10:42:21 PM »
Hay john good shooting. That's a good moose. I shoot a 30-06 remington 700. The bullet weght you used was a good choose. I shot 165 grain on everything. From big bull elk to muledeer to antelope. Even moose. The 30-06 shoot plenty fast and hits hard.In my oponion I shot one bullet weight for everything. Never had a pass throw on elk or moose. A moose is a big tough animal. my last bull I shot was 1200lbs and shot at 200 yards fell with one shot took out both lungs. He only went 3 feet and fell dead. Stone dead. If the bullet stays in the animal all that engery stays in that animal chest the only thing its not hurting a thing its helping you. Try it out you will see that i mean... good luck...

Facebook Comments