October 23, 2017, 11:19:22 AM

Author Topic: A MEMORABLE DAY  (Read 599 times)

Offline ductman

A MEMORABLE DAY
« on: October 17, 2005, 10:55:23 PM »
THIS IS A TRUE STORY AS HAPPENED LAST YEAR ON MY YOUNG SONS FIRST DEER HUNT. ILL POST PICS OF THE HAPPY HUNTER LATER

A most memorable day 

The alarm went off at 4:30 am just like it always does. But this morning there was no hitting the snooze button and drifting off for another 15 minutes, it was the 2004 opener of Maryland shotgun season. The thermometer read 32 degrees outside and I could hear the wind lightly blowing as I cracked open the door. This was no ordinary deer opener for me because this year I wasn’t hunting by myself.  As I walked down the hall to my son’s bedroom to wake him up I reflected back on the events that brought me to this point.

I was raised in a family that hunted and we started young, I was 8 yrs old when I went on my first hunt with my father. My dad was an avid deer and coon hunter for as long as I could remember. He raised pure bred walker coon hounds and went out several times a week. When I was 12 I started out dove and squirrel hunting and at 13 killed my first deer. So when my son started showing an interest at age 8 in going out in the woods with dad I knew I had a hunter to groom. We started out with the BB gun his pop pop bought him for Christmas. Plus before Aaron was born I had bought a little single shot 22 that I stripped and restored just for him. We went for walks in the woods and he tagged along on dove hunts also. Not long after he turned 10 I went to my first sporting clay shoot with a friend of mine and Aaron went along. He instantly fell in love with the game, enjoying watching the birds break and being our trapper. All the way home that day he begged me to get him a shotgun. My father had a single shot 20 ga. That I borrowed for him to try, and on the way home I bought a box of clay birds and some ammo. Well that Saturday I surprised him with a back yard shoot of clay birds. Within the first 10 minutes he became very proficient busting straight away clays. He had a smile on his face and a bruise also but he wouldn’t stop.

The following week we made our first trip to the trap range. This would be a new game as neither of us had every shot behind a trap house before. We were met as we walked up to the clubhouse by a very nice older lady. We introduced ourselves and explained we had never shot trap before. She introduced herself as “Mrs. Ellie” and right away proceeded to explain safety and etiquette on and off the range. She even helped us get our tickets and get us into a group to shoot. Well Aaron started off a station one and I was on 2. he cleaned the first 16 targets straight with that little single shot 20 ga. Before he missed his first target. The next week after that I bought him a used 20 ga youth rem. 1100. The single shot was just beating him up yet he never complained because he loved shooting so much. He started shooting skeet and sporting clays with me on a regular basis and became quite proficient. Matter of fact he was shooting so much I bought him a mec 600 jr. and started making him reload his own ammo. Within the first 8 months he shot around 9,000 rounds threw that 1100 and was shooting some great scores. Aaron is so personable that every just loved shooting with him. Plus I think they got a kick out of watching a ten yr old cleaning up stations. After the summer started Aaron wanted to hunt so badly it wasn’t funny. But as he was only 11 yr old he couldn’t get a hunting license. We attended a hunter safety course in Maryland because they have no minimum age. He passed that with flying colors and proudly showed me his card after passing the test.
We went straight out and purchased his first hunting license and prepared for the sept. 1st dove opener. The opener of dove season we traveled to a farm my brother has permission to hunt out in western Maryland. We both ended up limiting out on dove and had a great time. This year he also shot his first squirrel, ducks and geese.

But to get back to the beginning of the story. As I poked my head into his room he came instantly awake. He looked at me and said” is it time to get up dad” I looked at him and said “yup and lets get moving, we got some deer to get”. I was very optimistic about his chances just because of where we were going. The same friend of mine that introduced us to sporting clays has a heck of a place to deer hunt.  He lives right across from a state park and a large farm is directly behind his house. The deer actually travel across his yard to get to the corn fields behind to feed. He lease’s the farm and has exclusive hunting rights and its well worth it. Originally I was going to take Aaron to a small wood lot that I have permission to hunt that holds a lot of deer. But when my friend heard this he insisted that I bring Aaron to his place to get his first deer. We went to his place the day before the opener to set up stands. My friend decided to place Aaron in a ladder stand with myself sitting above him in a loc on stand. We picked a big cherry tree and had everything ready to go for the next morning.

After Aaron was up and dressed we loaded up our gear. I had bought us a pair of H&R ultra sluggers with 2x7 Nikon prostaff scopes. Aaron could confidently place 3 shots in a 2” circle at 50 yards so I knew he was ready. We arrived at my friends around 5 am., And proceeded to the stands. It was only a 60 second walk from the truck so we were strapped in and ready to go by 5:05. My friend asked me to set up my cell phone on vibrates in case he needed to contact me. He was hunting a thicket about a ¼ mile behind his house where he had seen several bucks. Since he manages his hunting property for big bucks he usually doesn’t allow button bucks to be shot. But since this was Aaron’s first hunt he gave Aaron the green light to harvest anything. By 6: am it was finally starting lighten up but legal shooting time was 15 minutes away. My friend had set Aaron within 50 yds of the deer’s traveling lane and had some blocks and feed just down from where we sat. It was still dark and I could hear deer moving around in the brush some quite close. We had the wind blowing perfectly and the temps were in the low 30`s still so the deer were moving well. I whispered down and asked Aaron if he could hear the deer and he answered yes. At around 6:15 I could just make out a deer standing about 35 yds away standing broadside. I whispered down and pointed to where he was at and Aaron slowly raised his gun. I asked him if he could see the deer in his scope and he said “yes. I could hear the excitement in his voice as he watched the deer. I know the deer was anterless because I could see it fairly well in my binoculars. I told him when he felt confident to take the shot. It was no sooner that I said that I heard the gun going off. I saw the deer jump and heard it crash on the other side of the thicket. I leaned down to give Aaron a high 5 and he was shaking and smiling like crazy. He kept asking me if he got it. And I repeatedly assured him that it was down. As I was sitting there watching and sharing in the experience of my son my phone started vibrating in my pocket. My friend asked if aaron had shot a deer and I told him yes it was down. He told me to tell Aaron congratulations and go ahead and shoot another one. Just as I hung up the phone another deer stepped exactly where the other one had been standing. I looked down at Aaron and hand signaled him to shoot it. “Bam” off it ran and I heard it crash in the same direction as the other one. This kid was ready to float off the stand he was so happy. I told him since it was so early we would sit for a hour and see if old dad could get a shot now. Of course he was ready to climb down but I told him we needed to wait and I was hoping to teach him a little patience. About an hour later just as we were ready to climb down we had 2 does cross about 50 yds below us. She gave me a perfect frontal chest shot and I dropped her on the spot. We climbed down and found his deer laying about 25 yds apart. He was smiling from ear to ear when we joined up with the other guys. Everyone offered up thier congrats and helped drag out the deer. He helped me field dress the deer and called his grandfather and his mom to tell them all about his deer. After loading up the deer we started to the check station and he just couldn’t stop talking. After awhile he looked at me and said” wow dad that was fun”. Watching my son experience this great sport called hunting was just the kick I needed to get back my love for this sport. And as we drove I looked at him and said” Aaron, thanks for a most memorable day”

Offline ductman

Re: A MEMORABLE DAY
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 12:16:09 AM »
heres the pics from a great day with my son

Offline MI_Yankee

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 08:07:51 AM »
GREAT story, and very well told!  Thanks for sharing!

Offline ductman

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 09:36:57 AM »
yep to say the least i was one proud dad that day :D ;D O0

Facebook Comments