November 22, 2017, 01:19:27 PM

Author Topic: Moose Too  (Read 1219 times)

Offline MI_Yankee

• Gut Pile Club Member
Moose Too
« on: October 19, 2005, 08:46:38 PM »
Thanks to GP for posting my pic!  Sometimes I'm so computer illiterate it's not funny...

Well, here are the details of my recent NH moose hunt.

My sub-permittee, Steve Grosso, and I arrived in Pittsburg, New Hampshire on Friday morning (10-14-05), the day before the opener. Having driven all night, we got a few hours rest, then met up with Jeff Prehemo, who lives and guides in the area.

Neat thing was, Steve and Jeff hunted together before, and were going on a deer hunt on Anticosta Island at the end of the month, so it was an opportunity for friends to get together.

Friday afternoon we scouted huge tracts of land owned by the paper company on logging roads. No motorized vehicles were allowed on the land except on the logging roads. We found several heavily travelled game trails with fresh sign, and marked the coordinates on Jeff's GPS.

The next morning, we got to the logging road before first light, and waited until legal time. While we were waiting, we saw a cow and a calf moose cross the road. We returned to what we thought was the best game trail, and prepared for our hunt.

Since Steve and I both could hunt, but we could only take one moose between us, we decided to take one firearm (Steve's 300 Win. Mag.), and one video camera. We decided to take turns, with the one carrying the rifle when we saw a bull in the 50" range getting to take the shot. The other hunter got to be the camera man.

Steve won the toss and was first to carry the rifle. We started up the mountain trail, with Jeff stopping and cow-calling along the way. It was tough, uphill terrain, but Jeff said to get the big one's we had go where they lived. Apparently that was on top of MacGalloway Mountain (LOL).

After over a mile trek, Jeff stopped to call again. After waiting several minutes, we began to silently walk when Steve saw the bull stand up 50 yards away where he was bedded. It turned and we all were able to see the bull was what we'd been looking for. Jeff and I wispered to Steve, "take him!", and I positioned myself with the camera.

Steve's first shot was right in the boiler room. The bull crashed through the thick brush about 30 yards and went down. But as we carefully approached, he got up and started to lumber away. Two more well placed shots and the moose fell for the last time.

He was a dandy. After high-fives and photo ops all around, it was time to get to work. We went back to the road and drove to the closest spot to the moose from the road according to the GPS. Still, it was a half mile through heavy brush, over deadfalls, around trees, through ditches, and over uneven terrain. Jeff called for help, and it took six of us the next five and a half hours to drag him out.

He measured 48", and 725# dressed. Fish & Game said he'd have gone 875# live weight. The 3 1/2 year-old had 20 points, and a unique drop tine "sticker" on one side. He'd been doing some fighting, because he had a couple antler wounds on his chest.

That moose was the second biggest on the buck pole at the Spruce Cone Lodge. One big fella went 57".

We planned to stay a few days and try for bear and archery deer. Unfortunately, the rain wouldn't let up. We learned Sunday that they had flood warnings and were evacuating just south of us, the Connecticut River was swelling, and there was no end in sight for the rain.

So, Sunday afternoon we quartered up our moose, put him in the back of our pickup, and headed home instead.

It was a short hunt, but nevertheless one of the toughest, most challenging hunts I've ever been on. It didn't matter to me one bit that Steve fired the shot that killed him. Being part of that hunt was priceless, and something that will live in my memory forever.

Got some decent video footage, and we'll enjoy moose steaks for a long time...A MOOSE IS ALOT OF MEAT!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 01:31:33 AM by MI_Yankee »

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Moose Too
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 10:18:01 AM »
MI, congratulations on you fellas having such a great hunt!  :) O0 O0 O0 Was that like dragging a tree through the brush? :shock:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline MI_Yankee

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: Moose Too
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 12:20:09 PM »
LOL!  Indeed it was!

Thanks John!

Facebook Comments