December 13, 2017, 02:21:04 AM

Author Topic: Any ideas on what to use to make a home made mineral lick?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Eric Hazelip

• Gut Pile Guide
  • The force is strong with this one
Any ideas on what to use to make a home made mineral lick?
« on: October 24, 2005, 03:45:29 PM »
If any one has any thing i would like to here from you
All who resist will die

Offline Hobbes

• Applied for my club membership...
Re: Any ideas on what to use to make a home made mineral lick?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 05:07:19 PM »
Illegal In my State. Interested to see what others got too.

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 05:33:11 PM »
you can make them and use them but the must be removed 30 days before hunting... if not hoooooboy are you in for a load of troubles!!!!!!
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline MI_Yankee

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 06:47:51 AM »
For as cheap as a mineral block costs at your local feed store (10-15 bucks), I find it's easier just to buy them.

Offline MARLIN

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 08:15:38 AM »
Baking soda, salt, and go to the local farm feed store and pick up some minerals, I use dry cow mineral, non medicated. Can't keep enough of it out to keep the animals satified.
The Defintion of P.E.T.A.=(People for Erotically Touching of Animals.)
Take a Youth Hunting

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning and Skinning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting41

Offline john

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 09:55:15 AM »
ive played with molases , brown sugar and raisins, seemed to work. but we have a sugar refinery near us and can get the scrapings from the bottom for free.

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 06:14:49 PM »
I stop at Tractor Supply and pick up a trace mineral salt block and throw it on the ground in the spring when it is still good and wet.It will melt away pretty quickly but they will eat the dits just fine. I have found they like to eat the salty dirt better than licjk the block. In the past five years they have gored out a hole the size of a Jeep Cherokee hood about 2 1/2 feet deep. You just have to remember that they usually quit coming to salt by about the first of November,but the minerals in it have already done their job by then. I don't  try to hunt over it, I just put it out to help them get the nutrition to make good racks and strong babies
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline occ

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 06:16:11 PM »
Forgot to say that the trace mineral block was  $4.99 last time I bought one
I resent being called a pervert. I have graduated to Moral Deviate

You do not have to have had any sort of Psychotic episode to work here:it just saves time

Offline chatyon

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 08:14:50 AM »
You make  your own by combining Salt, Baking Soda and trace minerals that you will have to purchase. Selenium is a trace that you can typically find in farm and ranch stores, but, as  has been pointed out it is far less expensive to purchase a block or even a bag of mineral supplements than to try to make it yourself. By the time you add all the ingredients together to make from home, you are probably looking at a price tag of around 20 bucks. But you can purchase a mineral block for around 5 dollars at a farm and ranch supply story such as Tractor Supply or Cal Ranch or any number of supply centers. A bag of mineral supplement weighs less than the block but it is poured out and it appears to be more waseful but as someone said the critters love it and will dig a hole the size of a jeep and clean down to China. A bag of mineral supplements will cost around 10 bucks typically.

If you make your own, just remember that Salt and the Baking soda comprise about 98% of the bulk of the food. with the trace minerals only making up about 1-2%. Trace minerals for purchase usually cost more by themselves than a bag of supplement already mixed and ready to go. You then add proteins to the mix and other goodies so by the time you are done you have a gourmet meal for the deer that you can't hunt near in most states. The deer are fat and happy but you are broke and hungry.  ???

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 08:24:55 AM »
Dig a hole about 1' wide and 1' deep.  Get some loose mineral salt and calcium diphosphate.  Mix equal portions of the salt and diphosphate.  Put about 1/4 of the mixture in the hole, cover with the dirt.  Pour the remaining mixture up on top and sprinkle with a little more of the dirt.

As someone already said, deer don't like to lick straight salt.  They would much rather eat the salty dirt.
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments