December 15, 2017, 01:21:40 AM

Author Topic: Antler Envy  (Read 897 times)

Offline jjohn3157

Antler Envy
« on: October 24, 2005, 10:29:12 PM »
I have been hunting an area near Claire, Michigan for years.  It is 130 acres of private land with typical geography of hardwoods, swamps, pines, open fields.  It is adjacent to large parcels of farm land including corn and alfalfa.  The deer herd is plentifully and we have always had good luck harvesting good numbers with bow and gun.    The bucks however seem to have small racks, lots of shovel bucks, and butter knifes.   Even when we bag a 6 or 8 point buck, the rack is .... well scrawny with thin tines.   Good size bucks in the 175 lb  - 200 lb range  but.....  small racks.  The curiosity has been killing me so this year I put up a scouting camera in a target rich environment.  For three weeks I have been monitoring results.  Yesterday I again reviewed my weekly results of 629 digital pictures and saw the same thing.  There were a couple bucks with more points (even a 5x5) but no bragging racks.  I would be interested in knowing your thoughts, comments or observations.   Is this normal?   Is there anything we should be doing from a management standpoint? 

Thanks for reading my first post.

Signed

Perplexed!

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: Antler Envy
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 06:33:53 AM »
from what i understand, the antler "health" is related to the nutrients and food in the given area, if the deer isnt getting what it needs, it dont grow the parts it dont really need. if the deer are healthy overall, but with small racks, check the food situations.. 
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline MI_Yankee

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 06:45:20 AM »
Several factors play into part, genetics, nutrition, and age.  They may have plenty to eat, but much of Michigan is mineral deficient.  A few mineral blocks strategically placed around the property may help.  Also, if all you're seeing is 1 1/2 to 3 year old bucks, while they may have put on the weight, they aren't going to have the head gear a healthy 4 or 5 year old buck generally has. 

Offline crazysquirrelpoon

• Gut Pile Guide
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 07:11:29 AM »
if it's been a pattern for a couple of years, my guess would be genetics.  The agriculture around there should be plenty good for growing some nice racks.  ---If i were you i'd start weeding out the little racks, and let the big en's grow for a while.  --Mineral blocks are a good idea too to make sure they are reaching their potential
Proud Democrat

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 06:17:23 PM »
I think your problem is one shared with Wisconsin.  I have a Wisconson firefighter I guide for here in Iowa. He comes here to bowhunt and I put him onto deer. I do this for him as a favor, he being a good friend and a great sportsman.  Anyhow, he tells me about WI not having hardly any trophy deer in most areas because of WI having 3/4 of a million rifle hunters. Most of their deer don't live long enough to grow a decent rack.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline sticker pt

• A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 11:45:41 AM »
i know im late to put my 2 cents in but you also need a place where the deer (buck) fill no presser at all . aplace to rest browse and all that good stuff. make sure nobody ever enters that spot ( sanctuary) it makes a big different's
they say i'm not that smart for a redneck ( old dixie land old dixie land how i love my dixie land )

Facebook Comments