November 17, 2017, 02:03:26 PM

Author Topic: Let's Hear It From Pistol Hunters  (Read 1940 times)

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Let's Hear It From Pistol Hunters
« on: March 12, 2004, 09:51:38 PM »
How about some of us relating some of our pistol hunting  here? What with, and the story.   I pistol hunt now with my Colt .38 Python. It has open adjustable sights, and loves the +P's. I have shot small game and a few feral dogs, cats, and one coyote that was dumber than dirt. At work, we packed S&W .38's for years. We dispatched numerous deer and other sick and injured animals, as well as wild and also vicious dogs. Now, we carry 9mm Barettas that haven't seen much action, except for a couple of deer and one wild dog that was injured by a vehicle.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline squirrelslayer

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 12:40:38 AM »
the only pistol i own is a s&w 6 shot .22lr revolver. my dad was a cop so i have alot of .45's a 9mm cartriges that i dont know what to do with, wouldnt mind getting a berreta 9mm. i dont get it, when it comes to rifles i can drop deer at 100 yards and pop squirrels running up a tree but when it comes to pistols i cant hit nothin but this year im goin to work on it, goin to sight it in and do some major squirrel hunting with it
i love shootin squirrel in the head

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 09:57:25 AM »
I was dispatched to put down a deer that was hit by a pickup truck one dark night, several years ago. The fellow that hit the deer just "happened" to drive his old pickup that last day of bow season. The spot where he hit the nice buck was where we saw the deer hanging out on the roadside shoulder about every night. The hunter was aware of the deer and his habits, too. We had many close encounters with the buck and our vehicles. I arrived on the scene and met the hunter standing on the road shoulder, watching the deer hobble with a broken leg. The deer stayed about 35 to 40 yards distance from us while we tried to approach it for easier shooting range. What I carried was an issued .38 stainless model 65 S&W, fixed sights, and ball military issue. I figured out pretty quickly that we could not get closer, so I shined my Maglight over my pistol and fired. The deer dropped like struck by lightning! It was about a 40 or so yard shot. The hunter was amazed, and thought that was the best shot he had ever seen. I played it real cool, just like I make those kind of shots every day. As I holstered my sidearm I thought,"Whew! I can't beleive I did that!" The bullet hit the deer exactly above and right between the eyes. While I filled out the salvage permit and transport papers, all the guy could talk about was that fantastic shot. He still talks about that shot, and I haven't told him how good my luck actually was that night. :-#  :lol:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 02:44:20 PM »
I wish I had that kind of luck.  I had been after a good size buck for a few weeks but couldn't get his pattern down.  I knew where he was crossing but never seemed to get the timing right.   I came back in from hunting one morning, dropped off my rifle, shed some clothes and headed for his trail to see if there had been any sign that morning.  The only thing I had was my knife and my 9mm that I picked up for the heck of it.  I get to the trail and sure enough - he had crossed that morning.  I decide to follow the trail a little bit to find out where he was bedding.  As I get into a thicket, I hear something break brush up ahead.  I go into stealth mode  :lol:  and continue on.  This happened a couple of times... then all of the sudden, I look ahead and see a sweet buck - head down - about 40-50 yds away.  I thinking... what a bone head, breaking the cardinal rule and coming into the woods without my rifle.  I start debating on whether I should leave him alone and try for him the next morning or pull the niner and go for it.   Yep, you guessed it, my greed gets the best of me.  (He had been so elusive, I really didn't think I would see him again... that's what I tell myself anyway!)  I slowly pull the pistol, and just about have him lined up when he winds me and jerks his head up with a snort.  At the same time, I fire.  On the first shot, he bolts and I fire off a few rounds in what I thought was pretty good form.  As you've guessed, he kept running.  Well,  I reach down to uncock the pistol and I'm amazed to see the slide is back and the clip is empty!  I couldn't believe he had me so shook up that I ripped the whole clip in that amount of time.    Oh well, live and learn, right?
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 06:15:48 PM »
Gutpiles, luck of the draw, huh? I shot a huge 14 point buck one night on duty, with the ol' .38. A hunter had made an illegal shot with a bow through a storage area fence. My Lt. and I were dispatched to find and finish it. It was after dark, with a rain mist coming down, and very dark. The area was part timber and farm fields. We hunted the deer for 4 1/2 hours with our maglites and pistols. We would see one big buck after another within easy pistol range. We almost shot several wrong bucks, because the impoundment held so many large bucks. We encountered the bucks in draws and thick timber. The deer in the storage impoundment had never been hunted, so we could get pretty close. Finally, I spotted the big fella standing down in a draw by a creekbed. I got close enough to see that he was indeed wounded by an arrow, and put a bullet between his eyes, about a 15 yard shot. It was a shame to have to shoot such an animal in that manner, but it was better than it being eaten alive by coyotes or dogs. Your 9mm is certainly enough to put down a deer, placed in the right spot.

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 10:30:37 PM »
I've gotten a few critters with a pistol.  I've got a semiauto .22 LR that I've gotten a few squirrels with, and a .38 snub nose that I used to carry as a back-up weapon when I was in law enforcement, that I've killed a couple of coons with.  I've also got a S&W .44 mag with an 8 2/8" barrel and a 2x Leupold scope on.  I've only had it for a couple of years, but haven't had a chance to kill anything with it.  I could have gotten a couple of small deer with it, but was holding out for the "big boy".  Hopefully, I'll get a few hogs with the pistol this year!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 09:22:10 AM »
Right after I moved back here from Alaska in the fall of'73 I killed some hogs here on an Iowa farm, for a fellow I bought some cattle with. The pigs and hogs were too wild to get loaded in his truck, and were running on an 80 acre pasture. It was about -20 with a strong NW wind, and the critters were pretty fast. I had a .22 Hi-Standard Military with no clip(lost it hunting), so I had to reload in the cold with no gloves. Anyhow, I chased those dozen pigs and hogs all over the pasture the entire afternoon, banging away at them. I finally got all of them, loaded them up, and went door to door that night, in the small town of Columbus City, giving them away. A .22 will do the job, but that day I wished I had a .44 mag.!

Offline propredator

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 09:47:46 PM »
I used to do a lot of coon hunten with a 22 revolver.some times it took one shot,most of the time a lot more.They can be hard to hit in the head atop a big old cottonwood tree.Had one that i hit in the snout just a couple inches in front of his eye.The coon started coming down the tree head first and i was ready,steady and taken aim when the next thing i know all i could see was a big ball of fur. :oops: Darn thing jumped right on my head.right at the light id supose.Knocked my hard hat light off and took off.He got away in a hole under some tree roots on a creek bank where the dog tracked him.
 Only pistol i have anymore is a 45 caplock i redid the stock on it and whited out the barrel but i need to get a back sight for it.Getter up and runing by this spring.

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 04:49:15 PM »
I have heard of people using 22 auto pistols for squirrel hunting... sounds kind of interesting, it would probably be easier that carrying around a rifle....  does anyone have any input on a good 22 auto?  I have thought about the ruger mark 2 or 22/45,  or the sig trailside... any other recomendations???
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 08:00:53 PM »
A friend of mine has the Ruger I believe.  He, myself, and another guy went squirrel hunting one morning, with him taking the pistol, and me and the other guy taking rifles.  He got more squirrels than we did that morning (we put him in the best spot because of the pistol)!!  He's got a scope on it, and is flat DEADLY with a pistol anyway!

I've gotten 2 with my .22 LR pistol.  It's a S&W (can't remember the model, but I think it's a 422) semi-auto without a scope.  One was when I took a shotgun several years ago and one snuck up on me.  He was too close for the shotgun, so I pulled the pistol.  The other was on a "Wildlife Refuge" where there wasn't technically supposed to be any hunting.  The squirrels were kinda' overpopulated, so I decided to "harass" them a little! 8)   Before anyone starts to wondering about the "refuge", the area is one of the summer camps operated by the KDFWR.  The guy who used to be caretaker of the place has some sense about him and knew that the game animals on the place needed to be "thinned" from time to time. 8)
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Facebook Comments