November 19, 2017, 04:23:03 PM

Author Topic: Looking for mulie tips  (Read 1646 times)

Offline REDEYE

Looking for mulie tips
« on: November 02, 2005, 07:06:40 PM »
Hello everyone,
  I'm fairly new at deer hunting, and I've been going at every chace I get this season.
I'm hunting the mountains east of san diego ca. (Palomar Mtn.) Anyways, I finally found an area that seems very good and to be holding lot's of deer. nobody gets back in this place I'm hunting and the signs are every where.  Last sat. I found two tree rubs and the trails are as wide as human trails but its 100% deer tracks.  So I was creeping back to this hidden meadow surrounded by oak trees and thick brush,when I spotted a huge doe looking right at me ,so I froze and we just stared at each other for a solid 2 min.,then she just casually turned her head and walked away and at that same moment that she turned I heard a comotion like Ive never heard in the woods before. I'm posotive it was a couple of bucks ringing each others bell. I'd hear the hit and the sound of their horns sliding on each other and the sound of dry leaves being kicked and pushed. however  all this activity was out of sight from too much cover and by the time I crept down to where I could see. they had dispersed.

So, to get to the point. I'm looking for suggestions . I'm going back on fri. sat. sun.
Sunday being the last day of the general buck season.  so should I try rattling for them or just go sit over this area and wait it out. ?
                                                                   Any input is apprecited,
                                                                                                    redeye

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Looking for mulie tips
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 10:05:47 AM »
Redeye, I used to hunt mulies in Utah, and never tried to rattle in a buck. I don't see why it wouldn't work, though. It sounds like you have found a great place to hunt. I think the greatest secret is being where you plan on shooting the deer before daylight. We used to start climbing Mapleton Mountain at 3AM. We had a favorite spot near the top of the mountain where we just sat and waited for daylight and the sun to rise above the mountain. The other hunters, arriving on the mountain much later, would accidentally drive the deer to us. It was a perfect setup and we could choose between dozens of deer to shoot across a canyon, about  300 yard shots. The deer would be funneled right to us. Most of us used .30/06s with the Remington Bronze Tip ammo, a great round for the heavier mulies. That was before rattling a buck was practiced. Good luck on your hunt, Redeye! O0 O0
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline REDEYE

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 11:00:27 PM »
  Thanks for the reply John,
I'm going out tomorrow morning and I've decided not to rattle for them. I'm afraid I may just scare them off.  I've never shot a deer before, so because of my inexperience I think I 'll be better off taking the silent approach.
  In your reply you said you used to go to utah, where do you hunt now days and did you get anything this season?  I'd like to hunt utah some day. If things go right , by this time next year I'll be living in durango co. I hear good things about all kinds of hunting out there. we'll see.
                                                    redeye

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 10:32:20 AM »
Redeye, I used to hunt with some local pals from Provo, Utah. They even closed the schools that week of deer season.  I used to hunt Mapleton Mountain, not too far from Mapleton. We used to shoot blue grouse there, too. I also did a lot of trout fishing in Utah, the best trout fishing I have ever had. The following Saturday after opening day of deer season in Utah, we would drive to Idaho and spend a week  pheasant hunting on some of my pal's family farms. Back to deer, the Mapleton area had a heavy population of deer. Due to a spinal injury a couple of years ago, I am no longer able to hunt deer.  If you can't drag your own deer, you have no business hunting them, I believe. About deer hunting Mapleton Mountain, do not drag your deer into the bottom of any of the ravines, or you will multiply your work a hundredfold! Stay on the open mountainside, by all means. I learned this the hard way, I made a two day deer drag out of a one day. :-[ :'(
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline elkhunter_30-06

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 10:24:15 PM »
Redeye
    This is elkhunter in Wyoming.
I hunt muledeer in heavy timber. I use a tat.Called call and gun. Elks company makes a muledeer call. It's called deer talk. I start calling and glassing watching for movment. If nothing startes moving.You need to move. Find a heavly used trail. But muledeer arn't like whitetail deer. They don't use the same trail every time. Find an open park or canyon glass glass glass. Once you find what you want make a slow planned stalk. Glass as you go  Go slow. Take you time.       watch the wind muledeer have good eye and nose.

Offline rock

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 12:05:48 AM »
Deer are all the same curiosity is part of the world, I've called deer in the spring, summer, and fall, usaully its the curiosity that brings them to you. Of course juring the rut this all changes thats when it becomes your advantage,  every situation is different and scent and sound plays a big part in a deers life, if you cover these two you'll have the advantage. Two deer clashing horns in the bush would mean stop check wind direction and start a low bleat call with a touch of antlers, remember try to sound smaller than the deer your hoping to bring in, I call with my own vocals which amazes some people but it works well and have filled many tags. I've had deer come into view after minutes off calling, curiosity is what eventually brings them in. This year my son and I walked into a new area and found trails and scrapes just like you, with that evidence off all this deer sign we set up and started calling within 20 minutes saw a 4 point at 30 feet away, that day we saw 4 bucks, owe by the way the 4 point would be a 8 point  I'm canadian so we usaully count one side, anyways the next weekend we where out at 4:00 am in the morning walked in are 4 km and where into deer again this time shooting a 3 point, brought in by calling that was the 3 rd buck we saw that morning, so we had a succesfull trip, though the overall landscape was all worth it specially the 15 inches of snow made everything look really nice. I know I'm lucky where I'm at are traveling time for animals are usaully not that long unless where going up north, don't be shy in calling it will work when you least espect it , and keep the wind in your face its only at matter of time before you come upon that dream buck.  Good luck safe hunting,,  Rock...

Facebook Comments