December 12, 2017, 11:15:38 AM

Author Topic: Coons..!!  (Read 3980 times)

Offline harleynine9

• CANT PUT A PRICE ON A GOOD TIME!!!
Coons..!!
« on: November 04, 2005, 07:30:50 PM »
OK..I read  on here that someones pit bull has or would kill a coon in a heartbeat..True ..on land...!!
Put coon on log and put in the middle of pond where dog cannot touch bottom..send him after the coon..1 on 1..
I cant tell you that the coon will kill the dog but I have seen 2 pits drowned by coons..!!!!!!
Years ago before tree huggers and bunnie lovers got into it we used to have what we call coon on the log all the time..Put an ole bore coon on equal ground and you'll see something that ain't always pretty...
I had a blackmouth Curr an pit mixed ..A buddy of mine were down in the swamps fishing.. we were pulling a boat from slough to slough when ole sport hit a coon trail. well the coon and dog hit a slough an the coon got under the bridge .sport went in after him only water was to deep an he swam under the bride after coon..the next thing we heard was dog an coon fighting..
When we got to the bride the coon was on Sports face an locked on with a death grip..Dog an coon would go under an seems like 5 min they would come back up..I was beginning to think ole sport was going to let the coon get the best of him.an was..Finally they had fought an sloshed around till Sport could stand in shallow water an the coon was still treading water...That was the down fall of the old coon .sport got a death grip on him an a shake an that was it for the coon..
Pound for pound a coon is a bad a## critter...
I had one coon to ruin a good dog..Trainin him for coon hunting when he was a puppy..knocked coon out of tree right on top of puppy..Coon whipped his but all over ,puppy got away from him an left the area..took us two hrs to find that dog.. he never made a coon dog...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 09:31:23 AM by Ks_Sniper »

Offline Techno

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • Thats right!
Re: Coons..!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 08:59:35 AM »
pee on the bunny humpers i say...today marks opening day of coon season in illinois...im the one with the pitbull...were taking him out tonight. to be completely honest...put the dog on a coon in the water...i cant say what might happen.more than likely the dog would drown.pitbulls have A.high prey drive and B.a high threshold for pain. B is great.....i think the dog would not care it is drowning...it has one thing on its mind...DO NOT LET GO!!! alot of people lie and say pitbulls have locking jaws..this is no where close.they do however have very dense muscles around the jaw.add thick muscle and will....that =`s a serious bite.my dog is a head and chest dog.if the dog gets on the head.....hang it up.he gets a chest hold...he is going to have to work a bit harder.the dog weighs 48.5lbs......now alot of pitbulls these days are reaching 70-100lbs and this is not right.people are crossing mastiff,presa etc etc for size.alot of people still have the "my wee wee is bigger than yours" syndrome"...they cant stand the next guy to have one bigger.....who cares if it has functionality "its bigger!!" i have seen 50lb pitbulls take down boars and finish when 70-90lb hounds had no chance...on the other side i have seen pitbulls die in seconds because they didnt retreat and come back in like hounds usually do...i saw 1 blutick get drowned.sadie was 85lbs.the coon wasnt that big....tonight were hunting two ponds and a creek...maybe we get to see how he fares in water.

here is the dog working the spring

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 01:24:17 PM »
A lot of hog hunters are using pit bulls for hog hunting. We almost lost a coon hound in a big puddle while hunting one night. If my cousin hadn't gotten that coon off the dog, the dog would certainly have been drowned.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline harleynine9

• CANT PUT A PRICE ON A GOOD TIME!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 03:43:58 PM »
Hey Guys, Ive seen it done..Hard to believe but its the truth...I dont care how bad your dog is and how he attacks ..An ole bore coon will give him a run for his life in the water...
If you do believe lard is greasy, just stick your hand in it..
Gotta run,  late with a date with a tree rat...

Offline curdawgs1976

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 10:10:22 PM »
hey tech that is sure a good lookin pit do you actually free cast him or just use him strictly as a kill dog and one more ? does he tree because my old female trees and hunts just like my curs

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 03:55:59 AM »
i did not know that about coons takin em out in the water. Thats good info.

[]===     []          =[]=       ===[] ===   []===
[]==       []            []              []         []==
[]===     []====   =[]=            []          []===

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 09:42:17 AM »
Years ago we had a bluetick pup out and left the big redbone at home.
The pup was working good that night until he ran a big coon into a small pond by some railroad tracks.
Dang coon was drowning the pup and my cousin waded out in about 3 feet of water and knocked the coon off the pup's head. The pup was about half drowned. The coon turned on my cousin and chased him back to shore!  ;D ;D ;D
I shot the coon when my cousin and the dog were in the clear while the coon was still chasing cousin Earl.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 02:21:10 AM »
ah you had to save him from a charging coon.  I've seen them get downright vicious my uncle's biggest hound had a coon latched to its chest, i got it off with a big stick and my cousin stepped on it popped it in the head with a 22.

The one my dog killed in the pic was in the backyard and i pulled ladybird off of it, and it didnt run away it came right back at her. It started bitin her on the front legs and her chest - So i let go of her collar and she did it in pretty swiftly. Grabbed it by the face and broke its back on a tree.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 12:32:43 PM »
I had a young coon crawl right across my lap while I was up on a tree limb shaking a bunch out to the dogs below me.  :shock: After the coon crawled over me, I knocked him off the limb with my flashlight. The coon fell on top of a good fight already going on and I nearly fell on top of the whole works when I lost my balance and managed to grab the small limb I was sitting on with my legs dangling 10 or 15 feet above the ruckus below.
Directly below me was a brand new barbwire fence with the dogs and coons up against the fence really going at it. I would have landed on top of the barbwire and the fight.

Offline ray40cal

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 10:32:27 PM »
see now i would have been like batman using darkness of night as cover and choke slammed the coons face first into the barbed wire. ThAts just how i roll

Facebook Comments