November 19, 2017, 07:31:19 AM

Author Topic: Fish Fry?  (Read 4299 times)

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Fish Fry?
« on: March 13, 2004, 02:49:57 PM »
What's your favorite fish fry?  I'm partial to the crappie, but never turn down some bass or catfish?  What's everyone else throwin' in the fryer right now?
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Fish Fry?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 02:59:31 PM »
None yet, but will soon be fresh bluegill, with a side of morel muchrooms and fiddlehead ferns!!!!

Crappie sunfish and bass are also good!!!
a country boy can survive!

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
Fish Fry?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 03:28:12 PM »
Uh - oh - you and John are gonna get along great with the shrooms.  I think that's right up his alley!
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Fish Fry?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 04:06:11 PM »
They are great... Have you ever had them???

Oh, BTW, is there anyone else from the chicagoland area in here???

Got pics???

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting411.net

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Fish Fry?
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 05:29:36 PM »
Gutpiles, you are absolutely right! Want to know some of the BEST fish for eating? Winter caught drum and stuugeon, beleive it or not. I used to trammel net in the winter on the Mississippi River. The drum (some locals call them "perch") are filleted and the yellow fat strips :mrgreen:  on the belly and back are cut off. Then the fish is deep fried. Sturgeon is great, deep fried, too. In fact, I find it hard to place one fish over another for eating. Big58 cal and Gutpiles should be here for a carp fry and mushrooms, eh? Some of you may think carp has to be an aquired taste, though. :roll:  :wink:  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Fish Fry?
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 09:42:37 PM »
The best way that I've heard to eat a carp is to fillet it out, put the fillets on a clean pine board, about 3/4" thick.  Put some lemon juice and parsley on the fillets and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.  When the meat is nice and flakey, take it off, throw it away, and eat the pine board! :lol:

Personally, I like bluegill better than anything!  Scale them, cut the heads off and gut them, roll in corn meal, and then fry!  Nothin' better!!!
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Fish Fry?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 08:48:20 AM »
BC, then I can assume you would opt for just the fried mushrooms! I do have to agree, a bunch of bluegill fillets are hard to beat! I was on a week survival stint on a river island and lived off the land. It was 100 degrees in the shade, fish would not bite. Behind my camp spot was a drying up pothole with some mud carp. I caught them and cooked them over a fire. No salt or seasoning, fry pan, cooking oil, NOTHING. Just a green stick run through them. Yeah, it was bad! A few birds and a squirrel filled out the menue, cooked the same way. My .22 kept me from starving. The one thing I was sure of, there would be no dinner guests. Oh, yeah, I ran out of cigarettes the 6th. day.************, and the week overdue boatride showed up the next day. '63 may have been a good year for wine, but not a good year to be stranded on an island. :!:  :!:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Fish Fry?
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 09:50:53 PM »
Boy I bet that was fun (NOT!)!!!!!!!!  I guess when that's all you've got, it's better than nothing! :-&   I probably still would have looked around for some poison berries or something though!!!!

Has anyone ever tried boiling up some bluegill fillets with some pickeling spices?  Take them and chill them and dip in cocktail sauce.  It's a poor-man's shrimp! \:D/
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline squirrelslayer

• Gut Pile Club Member
Fish Fry?
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 04:19:49 PM »
no but it sounds real good, my favorite is CRAPPIE every yea i catch around 200 and i have a huge fish fry its so good my mouth is watering just thinkning about it
i love shootin squirrel in the head

Offline firekidd

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Fish Fry?
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 08:17:18 PM »
Crappie bluegill bass I'll take anything that I catch that is big enough to cook...  I just love the taste of fresh fish cooking. let's me know spring is here!!!!

Oh, and I'll have to pass on the carp... sorry john

Got pics???

Facebook Comments