November 24, 2017, 04:14:06 AM

Author Topic: Those hard to hunt bull elk  (Read 1081 times)

Offline elkhunter_30-06

Those hard to hunt bull elk
« on: November 15, 2005, 11:29:47 PM »
This is elkhunter30-06
I just got done hunting in Dobois Wy. i was hunting for a very larg bull. 360 class bull. Hunting on public land with no snow on the ground in the middle of October late october good hunting you would think NOPE. I have hunted elk for 10 years and havested elk every year. Not this year. Why i got on one bull and hunted that same bull all season september archery october rifle. it was hot in september no bugleing entell october 5 when at night. Only at night. It was hard to hunt this bull.I got on him severl times this year. Once at about 50 yards away with my bow.no shot again with my rifle at 100 yards. Went to pull up and gone. Gone like the Wind. It's one of those bulls that are like spirits of the mountains. this bulls name is Ghost.
    well my last thought is thank you for giving me the challenge of the hunt. Good luck hunters

Offline MI_Yankee

• Gut Pile Club Member
Re: Those hard to hunt bull elk
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 12:21:11 AM »
"well my last thought is thank you for giving me the challenge of the hunt. Good luck hunters"

Good thoughts.  Your attitude and philosophy is what separates real hunters from mere shooters.  The hunting experience is about more than just harvesting an animal.  To your credit, you've learned that.  And to be able to hunt an animal so worthy of your pursuit, must have been an experience indeed.

Online John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Re: Those hard to hunt bull elk
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 10:01:02 AM »
You had fun during the hunt, is what counts. I hunted one buck the last year I bow hunted and never got a shot. The following gun season a hunter bagged him. It was fun, and the buck was a smart one. His luck just ran out during slug season. Where I squirrel hunted last year at a pal's hunting place, there was a large buck staying in one corner of the timber. He got used to seeing me, sometimes within 30 or 40 yards. There were hunters bowhunting in the same timber several hundred yards north of him and I doubt if they ever did see him. I was sitting on a hillside with my rifle while the big buck was lying under some cedar trees about 60 yards away, watching me. It was as if he knew I meant him no harm. I hope he's still there. My hunting pal has been too busy to squirrel hunt there this year, and I don't want to impose on his hunting spot.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments