October 23, 2017, 10:04:38 PM

Author Topic: Question about deer meat...............  (Read 633 times)

Offline WVdeerHNTR

• Gut Pile Club Member
Question about deer meat...............
« on: November 16, 2005, 03:17:05 PM »
when cutting steaks do u go against the grain or with it i heard people say with and others say against me myslef i think its against just making sure tho
If its brown its down

Online MOSPARKY

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
Re: Question about deer meat...............
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 05:01:13 PM »
Cut steaks across the grain. Cuttin with the grain will produce tough meat.
 experiment to demonstrate the fact. bundle a dozen straws together, these will represent the fibres of meat. Take a sharp knife, representing you teeth, and separate the straws. With the knife working between the straws it goes right threw. With the knife across the straws it won't. you gotta slice and your jaw don't move that way or at least mine won't. Plus your teeth aren't nearly as sharp as that knife, I hope.
 I work in a grocery meat dept and others here have worked in kill plants and other meat services, some butcher their own. I'm sure they'll agree. About the only cuts of meat we sell that is not cut across the grain is a brisket or flank and they're a bit thin to cut into steaks. They're usually cooked whole and then sliced thinly across the grain for serving.
John Andrews is my hero !

Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

because huntin' ain't catch and release

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
    • Gut Pile Style
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 06:40:50 PM »
That MOSPARKY is a purty smart feller regardless of what Becka says about you!!!  :wink:

Good post.  8)
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline WVdeerHNTR

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 09:52:49 PM »
thanks for the info  O0 i thoght it was across i will continue cutting  against it
If its brown its down

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 10:13:56 AM »
MOSPARKY is absolutely right.  Always cut against the grain of the meat, or you will probably have a bite of meat that will just get bigger and bigger in your mouth while you chew. I worked 8 years in a meat packing plant, Wilson Foods, Monmouth, Ill. We also have done a lot of butchering at home, hogs, bear, and deer.  By the way,  you butcher bear just like you butcher a hog.  I used to deliver swinging meat to stores when I worked for Armour' Meats and knew a lot of store butchers over the 3 state area where we delivered.  You don't have to be a professional to butcher an animal for your own use, if you remember to cut crossways across the muscle, in a nutshell.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments