October 21, 2017, 08:54:05 PM

Author Topic: Hunting products.  (Read 3882 times)

Offline Aussie Joe

Hunting products.
« on: September 07, 2003, 12:59:50 AM »
I live in Australia and I watch ESPN on Pay TV.  On the various hunting programmes that are showen I find it remarkable the amount of new high teck gear that these  hunters use, my question is, what do U.S. hunters consider to be their bare necessitys of the type of hunting they do?  For mine, it's a rifle and ammo, "Stoney Creek" cammo clothing, insect repelent and a good pair of boots.
I'd rather be hunting.

Offline Gutpiles

• Administrator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
    • Gut Pile Style
Hunting products.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2003, 04:32:01 PM »
Good thread!

I personally think your average U.S. hunter is probably just like you Aussie Joe  -  Just the bare essentials.  I like watching alot of those shows, but they are loaded with sponsor placed products.  It the sponsor doesn't own the show out right, they still expect their products to be a prominent part of the picture.  

What do the rest of you guys think?
Deer Hunting Today - Powered By Gut Pile Style:  The source for Whitetail Deer Hunting - Anti Peta - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Bear Hunting - Coon Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning Game -  fishing and more at www.gutpilestyle.comwww.DeerHuntingToday.com www.WildChildHuntingWear.com

Offline Big58cal

• Global Moderator
Hunting products.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2003, 07:26:41 AM »
There's a thread on another site I go to similar to this.  Someone was asking what's in everyones pack.

For me, I don't carry a lot of fancy gadgets and widgets, but I still carry a lot of stuff.  Invariably, just as soon as I take some of the stuff out, I need it!

The basic stuff:  bow, quiver, arrows, release, and arm guard, or muzzleloader, quick loads, ball starter, powder, caps, sabbots, and bullets, or rifle/pistol and cartridges.  Then there's the cap, face mask, knife, flashlight, Gerber multitool, camo, and rubber boots.  Sometimes there's the treestand, haul line, and full body harness.

The "other" stuff:  extra shirt, extra gloves, extra knife, extra flashlight, extra batteries, extra bandanna, compass, toilet paper, turkey calls, deer calls, electrical tape, string, drag rope, first aid kit, binoculars, laser range finder, handwarmers, ink pens, camera, limb saw, and water bottle.  There's probably a few other smaller things that I'm forgetting.

Like I said, not really "high tech", but still a lot of stuff!   :D
The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

John Andrews Is My Hero!

In all seriousness, the Marlin is a great rifle, too. I own a Model 60, one of the best rifles ever made.
Brownings are nice, but in terms of quality AND accuarcy AND ruggedness, it's hard to beat the Marlin.
California sucks that's it.

Offline southern sun

• Rookie Club Member
Hunting products.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 01:47:32 AM »
i wear hunting boots, camo cargo pants,long underwear, t-shirt, and a camo sweatshirt or coat. orange vest and stocking cap. i take with me, a two way radio to communicate with my hunting partner, 20 gauge shotgun, box of shells, stool, doe scent, and usually some contraption for a little rattlin'. That's about as basic as it gets. what do you say?
P.S.  I QUIT!  I'M GOIN' HUNTIN'!!

Offline DeathFromAbove

Hunting products.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 09:26:53 PM »
I pretty much stick to the no frill basics.   Do you guys get into calling much?  I tried a fawn bleat last year and had alot of fun with it.   The couple of young bucks that I tried to mess with couldn't care less, but the does were pretty curious.

Offline Aussie Joe

Hunting products.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2003, 03:29:21 AM »
I don't call much because the Deer I hunt don't respond to any calls.  But I do call Crows with the aide of a reed call and decoys, also Red Fox with a tin whistle.
I'd rather be hunting.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
Hunting products.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 01:09:36 AM »
I hunt light as possible, and mostly rifle hunting. The only thing I pack along extra is a small knife, and during warm weather, some water. I use curtain rod hangers to hang squirrels and rabbits from my belt; cheap and light. Of course, plenty of smokes and a pretty fresh lighter goes with me.too. I have always been sure to take along something to start a fire with.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline catfishsr

Hunting products.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004, 07:56:20 PM »
aussie joe  
 when on a day hunt i carry my rifle extra ammo,canteen,pistol(with snake shot) thats all.
when on a long hunt my pack has the following ,extra ammo,2 change of clothes,food for 4 days,compas,first aid kit,small flare gun ,cooking gear (inc.all my spices that i like)2 flash lights(w/extra batteris)camp knife(fixed),a folding chair toilet paper :D  and my tent .
NONE STAND AS TALL AS THE PERSON WHO BENDS OVER TO HELP A CHILD.

travo

Hunting products.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 01:41:39 PM »
I have found that the old ladies unscented tampons work great for placing scents out around my stand site, or using them for scent drags. they also would come in handy if you fell and punctured yourself with an arrow or a stick to help stop the bleeding. a can of sterno and some instant soup mix and a square of tin foil also come with me for emergencys. these things weigh next to nothing, and if anything did arise, i will be glad that i have them

Offline DIXIEBANJO

Hunting products.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 03:49:27 PM »
Quote from: travo
I have found that the old ladies unscented tampons work great for placing scents out around my stand site, or using them for scent drags. they also would come in handy if you fell and punctured yourself with an arrow or a stick to help stop the bleeding. a can of sterno and some instant soup mix and a square of tin foil also come with me for emergencys. these things weigh next to nothing, and if anything did arise, i will be glad that i have them
      Id be scared of being found dead with tampons! :oops:  :lol:  :lol:
ECCLESIASTES 12:13-14 Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man.For God will bring every deed into judgement,including every hidden thing,wheather it is good or evil.

Facebook Comments