October 19, 2017, 02:12:46 PM

Author Topic: Question on 30.06 ranging?  (Read 3883 times)

Offline MARLIN

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
Question on 30.06 ranging?
« on: November 25, 2005, 10:14:36 AM »
  :-\ I was hunting yesterday afternoon, knowing that a storm front was moving in. I saw the big boy, the one I have running for about four days now, 10 point, about 180 pounds or bigger. The only problem was he was 300 yards out, so I DID NOT TAKE A SHOT  ??? . I have no experince with that distance, and not sure where the rifle would hit, now I will add alittle more detail to this. He was in a open meadow, flat, didn't know I was watching, and hoping for him to come closer, but dark came first  :'( . I hunt with a Ruger m77 30.06, 150 sft core lckt, Remington factor loads, that hit a 1 inch high at 150 yards, with a 3 X 9 X 40 scope, and most of my shots are in the 75 yard range, but I want to atleast practice these shots, just case something like this happen again, and I mean alot of practice, before I will even attempt a shot like that. Does turning the scope up to 9X make a difference?
How high would I have to hold to hit the target?
 ???  ???  ???
The Defintion of P.E.T.A.=(People for Erotically Touching of Animals.)
Take a Youth Hunting

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning and Skinning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting41

Offline Morax

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
Re: Question on 30.06 ranging?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 05:20:55 PM »
from my exp. with other rifles/loads, an inch high at 150, i woulda aimed top of the shoulder/back of the neck (this way even if the calculations were off slightly it still woulda been a money shot)
when in doubt shoot twice

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 04:13:58 AM »
Marlin you go to the remington ballistics table and find out the trajectory for the specific bullet you are shooting. then you need to know what your poa is ( this is the yardage that the bullet croses your point of aim again.) now you can decide at what yardage you will site in too ,that will give you a shot in the kill zone holding dead on the animal. Example if i site my gun in for zero at200 yds ,and it hits 2 inches high at 100 yds and  is 7 inches low at 300 yds I know that i can kill that animal with out changing my aim out to 300.The only other factor would be wind.

Offline john

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 08:13:15 AM »
regardless of hat the charts tell you. go out and shoot a box of ammo at those distances. you will find your ok to shoot that far. or that you shouldn't shoot farther then you can throw a rock. one way or the other you'll have your answer.
whn i was in the army i could drop a man at 1500 yards. now i struggle over 100. its more about my limits then the gun.  oh yeah in the army i was shooting a 7.65 m-14. about the same as a 30-06 i think.

Offline MARLIN

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 08:41:21 AM »
regardless of hat the charts tell you. go out and shoot a box of ammo at those distances. you will find your ok to shoot that far. or that you shouldn't shoot farther then you can throw a rock. one way or the other you'll have your answer.
whn i was in the army i could drop a man at 1500 yards. now i struggle over 100. its more about my limits then the gun.  oh yeah in the army i was shooting a 7.65 m-14. about the same as a 30-06 i think.

Isn't a 7.65 a 27 caliber, I was thought that a 7 mm is a 27 caliber, I think the ballistics might be the same.  ???
The Defintion of P.E.T.A.=(People for Erotically Touching of Animals.)
Take a Youth Hunting

Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting - Squirrel Hunting - Bow Hunting - Muzzleloader Hunting - Bear Hunting - Fishing - Firearms - Outdoor News - Cleaning and Skinning Game - Deer Pictures - Fish Pictures - 17 hmr info and more at www.gutpilestyle.comhttp://www.hunting41

Offline john

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 10:47:24 AM »
not sure i thought it was right around .30 cal. i do know however it makes a real good hole in stuff.

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 10:54:19 AM »
No matter what the charts say ,yes you have to practice.there are a lot of variables in shooting ,breath ,and finger control is just a few.This comes only through practice.I also was a small arms expert in the marines and part of a force recon unit.but knowing the ballistics of your round helps you decide on what is the best overall zero for the rifle.The weapon will always be more capable then the shooter,thats why practice practice,practice.When you start talking extreme ranges,wind dopeing is a factor that is not easily learned.Although I have never made 1500 yd shots,I am very capable out to 500m. No matter how far or short the range,be proficient with your weapon.In the corp I carried a ithica deer slayer,with slugs,as most of my encounters would be at close ranges.Also carried the m16 slung on my back for a little farther reach out and touch you, cant beat the 5.56 mm (223)

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 01:09:04 AM »
Marlin ,turning up the power on the scope makes no difference on the impact of the round ,except that it might cause some parrellax.You turn the power up to magnify the object ,this can help you pick a better aim point.One of the most important things I can tell ya is to try and cheek your rifle the same every time.practice shooting from sitting ,kneeling,and prone .also if you get yourself a pair of shooting sticks this will give you a solid rest,for those longer shots. your 30-06 is perfectly capable of taking 300 yd shots with some practice on your part. Good luck

Eddie

PS remember to use the tip of your finger and squeeze never pull the trigger.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 10:42:36 AM »
7.65 is a .32 caliber.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 10:48:58 AM »
The .30/06 is a super rifle for 300 yard shots. I have shot an '06 for many (MANY) years and have made 300 yard one shot kills. The first mule deer I shot was across a canyon in Utah, a 300 yard shot. The deer dropped in its tracks. With a decent scope and knowing the bullet drop, it is as easy as shooting fish in a barrel.
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Facebook Comments