October 21, 2017, 07:01:52 PM

Author Topic: Question on 30.06 ranging?  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Stonycreek Whitetails

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • From the Mountains of Western Pa!!
    • SureDraw Hunting Products
Re: Question on 30.06 ranging?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 11:14:07 AM »
I ran the ballistic coefficiency and muzzle velocity for a 30-06 and this is what it came up with for trajectory.  I use this program for trajectory charts for my 300 Ultra Mag and so far it’s been pretty close. I use a range finder and look at the chart and I’ve been able to knock ground hogs off at 600 yards.

There are a lot of variables such as altitude and cross wind but it gives you an idea.  Also, depending on your zero range the information will change. I just zeroed the gun at 100 yards and give the average muzzle velocity.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 11:22:20 AM by Stonycreek Whitetails »
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 07:40:07 PM »
John you hit it right on the head the 30-06 is a great round .And probably the most used .I shoot a 300 win myself but the ballistics are almost exact.( got a deal on the browning.) John that is why i have my rifles zero set at 2oo yds,as long as im sure of the range of my target I have no probs hitting it.i can kill from 0 to 300 yds. I also have tactical turrets on the leupold for extreme ranges .And I can always dial up .I do not like to guess on where to hold Im a believer in aiming where I want to hit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 10:05:58 PM by eddiejohn4 »

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 08:28:29 PM »
Stoney this would be a good chart for marlin to take a look at. I wish more people used the chat room,would be able to talk and get and receive advise in real time.

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 09:13:44 PM »
Eddie,
Here is a chart of the load I'm shooting out of my 300 RUM. It's a bit hot and the velocity is averaging 4140 fps. I like to be about 3" high in the arch over the line of sight. As you can see, at 500 yards the bullet has only dropped 12.59"  It's an awesome load for ground hogs and works pretty good for deer as long as your hunting the fields with long shots. Othewise it makes a mess on the close shots!!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 10:11:00 PM by Stonycreek Whitetails »
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 10:01:07 PM »
Damm dude 4140fps now thats cranking.with a time of flight like that no wonder its such a flat shooter.The ground hogs dead 2min bfore the bullet left the gun lol.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 12:16:12 AM by eddiejohn4 »

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 10:16:00 PM »
 O0
There is NO need to walk out to see if you hit the hog, if the dust flies - it's a miss, if you see a big cloud of red mist - it was a hit...... :twisted:

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 09:30:40 PM »
,.....I've a couple comments on those already offered.First to clear up the M-14 chambering, it is a 7.62X51mm,or in civilian life we know it as the .308 Winchester (a .30 caliber round based on the 30/06 parent case shortened 1/2")...The 30/06 is certainly a capable deer round at 300 or more yards. The rifleman certainly needs a solid rest on such shots,and should have practiced enough to be very competant with trigger control (no jerking,a steady squeeze).So far a trajectory is concerned i'd suggest sighting the rifle at one hundred yards to print it's groups 1.75" high. If possible check the impact at the 200 yard range as well. With the 150 grain loading you've mentioned you'll find it impacting dead on target point of aim, at 300yds. the bullet will have dropped 7.5" and will still be carrying 1665 ft. lbs. of energy (SUFFICENT for sure kills on bigger game than deer).At 300yds then, the correct hold would be just behind the shoulder approx  3" below the top of the spine,this would put the bullet through both lungs with an ideal broadside shot. So far as wind drift over that range There are many variables. Remember that wind drift is not a factor with either a head wind or a following  wind, it is the cross wind that causes bullet impact drift in the direction of the winds travel (opposite it's point of eminance). With so many varibles i'll give you just one to consider; that of a 10mph wind crossing the line of the shot at a 90 degree angle(which creates the maximum wind drift ). In such a case with the bullet you've described using,the wind drift at 300 yds would be 9.4".Were the wind crossing at a lesser angle, of course the drift  would be proportionaly less,and with greater wind velocity the drift is  increased. ......The last word on long range estimation is that few people PROVE to be much good at 'off the cuff' yardage guessing. A range finder is invaluable where unknown distances are being judged. In areas where we often hunt we should have, over time, marked off distances from a number of hunt stands around the property,thereby giving ourselves  much better odds at making the long shot when presented. Here in Georgia i've been hunting over twenty years now,and haven't had a three hundred yard shot presented to me,i've made a few kills over two hundred along clearcuts and powerlines.Out west  long shots become more common. Sight that rifle in accurately,practice a bunch,and the best of fortune to you..
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 08:17:29 PM by olhippie »

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 04:16:35 AM »
Ohhippie reading the wind drift is the trick,knowing how much drift, can be read from the charts.Knowing if its a ten mi or 20 or even what the wind is like down range is gained thru experience .

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 05:11:48 PM »
....It would be obvious, I believe, that wind speed and it's accurate estimation are esential when calculating a long range shot.

. Two factors increase one's ability to accurately assess wind drift. #1. Reference charts which will save the shooter years of field error in the learning process. Such info gives the shooter hard and fast info on how far a particular bullet (ballistic coefficent) will drift under "known conditions", no guessing necessary. Then #2. parctice field judging wind speed,and firing on targets based on your estimations untill "field savy" is delivered through such shooting expierence. Start with number one and the time span in the learning process to number two will be much reduced.....Personaly if the wind is coming from a direct cross wind vector (90 degrees relative to the line of fire) and exceeds 15 mph , i'd pass on a long range game shot . If the wind is at a greater quartering angle, perhaps I might modify that  a bit, but GAME ANIMALS deserve a VERY sober evaluation before firing,simply because a lost and wounded animal will be a burden on the ethical hunters heart for many long years..

Offline Mad River

• Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 08:43:34 PM »
olhippie, You don't sound like an "Old Hippie" you sound more like an Engineer from Hornaday. ???

Thank God I don't live out west, I would need to get out the protractor, slide rule, wind gage, ten fingers, ten toes, barometer and do an hours worth of calculations before I took a shot.  I think the longest possible shot I could take in Pennsylvania, where I live anyway, would never be much more than 200 yards.

I guess I will need to brush up on my Trigonometry and Physics before I take that Western Dream Hunt.  :'(
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Facebook Comments