October 22, 2017, 04:11:57 AM

Author Topic: Question on 30.06 ranging?  (Read 3885 times)

Offline eddiejohn4

• Gut Pile Club Member
  • from michigan
Re: Question on 30.06 ranging?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 08:47:50 PM »
I agree with you ,that bacically was my advise to Marlin .I just wanted him to look up the info.its good to some times go thru all the moves.

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 06:49:48 PM »
.....Marlin, You should have taken that buck if you had a solid rest. The load and trajectory you've described is certainly an acceptable 300 yard deer killer. It would ,given the sighting you've noted (1" high @ 150yds) would be a heart shot deer at 300 yds with the crosshairs held just behind the shoulder,for a double lung shot,a hold just below the spine would deliver. The old 30/06 is a flat shooting cartridge,and is ENTIRELY adequet out to the 300 yard range,beyond which few hunters should be shooting with ANY cartridge.
     .By way of correction the M-14 military cartridge is the 7.62X51 (308 Winchester) and is based on the 30/06 case shortened by 1/2",same projectile,30 caliber. The 7mm is a .28 caliber bullet,measuring an actual .284"..a quick ballpark idea of metric  conversion to caliber may be made by multipling the metric measure,I.E. 7mm by 4,which renders the approx. caliber dimension.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • Hardcore Carnivore with Gut Pile Style!
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 02:26:23 AM »
Yes on the .30/06 being a good 300 yard round. We used to easily drop mulies at 300 yards shooting those Remington BronzeTips in Utah. The easiest way to drop them was to double lung them.  :)
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline bohicajuan

• On the cover of Flashlight Magazine!
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 07:58:41 PM »
First off I commend anyone who DOES NOT take the shot when they have doubts. That is the mark of a TRUE hunter.

Just to re-hash. The M-14 was in in 7.62mm which is the same as the .308 Winchester.

As a trained sniper in both military and police, I've had to make some shots that are out there. I've shot the M-24 and Remington 700 Police model in .308 and if the .308 will do it, the more powerful .30-06 will most certainly do it.

Kind of like the old addage.."How do you get to Carnagie Hall?"

Practice, practice, practice.

I wish more hunters "practiced" self restraint than take those long shots. You can always get the deer later.

Only the individual pulling the trigger can say for certain what his limitations are and hopefully his ego won't overload his you know what!! :wink: :wink:
To you gutless cowards and scumbags, who are trying to lie and rewrite history. To those out to commit genocide on the Southern people with your destruction of Confederate monuments and your attacks on Southern heritage and pride. Be happy for now. Because someday when that civil war you wanted starts. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Offline John Andrews

• Global Moderator
  • "If it bleeds....We can kill it!" ANDREWS
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 11:12:53 AM »
First off I commend anyone who DOES NOT take the shot when they have doubts. That is the mark of a TRUE hunter.

Just to re-hash. The M-14 was in in 7.62mm which is the same as the .308 Winchester.

As a trained sniper in both military and police, I've had to make some shots that are out there. I've shot the M-24 and Remington 700 Police model in .308 and if the .308 will do it, the more powerful .30-06 will most certainly do it.

Kind of like the old addage.."How do you get to Carnagie Hall?"

Practice, practice, practice. Right on the money, bohica.  O0 We were furnished the same rifles by the military at work, and they perform great. We used to have Ruger 77s, .308, and they worked pretty good for moderate ranges. Some of the other weaponery we are furnished doesn't have the range, but we are well provided for. We have an open range at work and one county range that is only 300 yards, but the county range is much more comfortable for shooting.

I wish more hunters "practiced" self restraint than take those long shots. You can always get the deer later.

Only the individual pulling the trigger can say for certain what his limitations are and hopefully his ego won't overload his you know what!! :wink: :wink:
Hunting Discussion Forum and Chat on Whitetail Deer Hunting- Bow Hunting- Muzzleloader Hunting- Fishing- Firearms- Outdoor News- Cleaning Game- Deer Pictures- Fish Pictures and more at www.gutpilestyle.com !

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • Screw your canoe....it's Drift Boat Season
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 12:40:23 PM »
I guess I will need to brush up on my Trigonometry and Physics before I take that Western Dream Hunt.  :'(

Yes, I talked to Chad and he said it is a whole other animal out there.  Here 200 yards is far, there 500 to 600 is normal sometimes even 700 to 800.  He was completely dumb founded when he went hunting the first time, shots he thought were far away he found later to be average.   :shock:

Me Squanto, me need big gun....7MM...300Winmag... :twisted:
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

Offline Mad River

• "This Space For Rent"
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 01:16:33 PM »
Yes, I talked to Chad and he said it is a whole other animal out there.  Here 200 yards is far, there 500 to 600 is normal sometimes even 700 to 800.  He was completely dumb founded when he went hunting the first time, shots he thought were far away he found later to be average.   :shock:

Me Squanto, me need big gun....7MM...300Winmag... :twisted:

I would opt for the 7mm Magnum, but what power scope? ???

At 800 yards on a 9x Scope, a deer would look like a chipmunk. ???
I have long know that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

I see you're playing stupid again...  looks like you're winning too.

Offline brad6841

• Gut Pile B&C Freak
  • Screw your canoe....it's Drift Boat Season
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2006, 01:53:42 PM »
He got a Remington 300Winmag, and I'm not sure on the scope.  I think he mentiond something about NASA, some type of Hubble edition scope... ??? ;D

Serousily I don't know... ???  I think the last time I talked to him he had finally killed something, I believe he got an Elk in north western CO.
"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.....merrily....merrily....merrily....merrily....life is but a dream"

Offline olhippie

• Gut Pile Club Member
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2006, 02:00:35 PM »
.....Hey fellows if we're jumping from a 300 yard shot out to 800,maybe we'd better take anoughter look. With that same 30/06 sighted in at say ,a two hundred yard point of aim. With that 150 grain bullet at around 2900 fps,we're looking at a GREATER than 6 foot drop at 600 yards,and around 750 ft.lbs. of remaining energy (not really suitable for a humane efficent deer killing round,in my opinion) Thats at 600 yards,at 800, energy is probobly just over half what is was at 600,and with a trajectory drop of greater than 9 feet!
.......Shooting long range stationary targets from a bench or prone position is one thing,such shooting can be a greatly satisfying sport,or perhaps necessary in the field of military sniping. BUT in the hunting field,I PERSONALY find such shooting to be in the realm of stunt shooting,more designed to satisfy an overblown ego,than the practice of a principaled hunter.
.......I know that it is in current vogue with some folks to chamber up a super pooper,hot shot overbore cartridge that'll lay down brush forty yards around when touched off. BUT whether this is really wise for the future of our hunting heritage,or for the wellfare of our treasured game animals,would be a question in my mind. Should it be legal? I reckon so,but this is one hunter to whom such game shooting has no appeal.

Offline Morax

• hell even Monkeys can use a sharp stick
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 02:06:56 PM »
.....Hey fellows if we're jumping from a 300 yard shot out to 800,maybe we'd better take anoughter look. With that same 30/06 sighted in at say ,a two hundred yard point of aim. With that 150 grain bullet at around 2900 fps,we're looking at a GREATER than 6 foot drop at 600 yards,and around 750 ft.lbs. of remaining energy (not really suitable for a humane efficent deer killing round,in my opinion) Thats at 600 yards,at 800, energy is probobly just over half what is was at 600,and with a trajectory drop of greater than 9 feet!
.......Shooting long range stationary targets from a bench or prone position is one thing,such shooting can be a greatly satisfying sport,or perhaps necessary in the field of military sniping. BUT in the hunting field,I PERSONALY find such shooting to be in the realm of stunt shooting,more designed to satisfy an overblown ego,than the practice of a principaled hunter.
.......I know that it is in current vogue with some folks to chamber up a super pooper,hot shot overbore cartridge that'll lay down brush forty yards around when touched off. BUT whether this is really wise for the future of our hunting heritage,or for the wellfare of our treasured game animals,would be a question in my mind. Should it be legal? I reckon so,but this is one hunter to whom such game shooting has no appeal.

see i thought the same thing, then a friend of mine got me into groundhog hunting where a 2-3-4-500 yard shot is out there and is also very reachable without a cannon.
when in doubt shoot twice

Facebook Comments